1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dexter on Showtime

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by justbrowsing, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I was a little down on Dexter the last few seasons. It was still good, but I wasn't looking forward to Sunday's(except for football). This season has definitely re sparked the desire I had to watch Dexter during the first and second season.

2. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I've found the season started off great (first two episodes), then dropped off until the episode after Lumen was found. It's been better the past couple episodes.

Batista and LaGuerta lost relevance after the second season. I hope something happens to them at the end of this season and puts them out of their misery.

Quinn is a tool. Can't stand him. At least, however, something interesting should arise from his desire to stay with Debra rather than hunt Dexter regarding the dirty cop. Still hope Dexter has to kill him though, even if it is a repeat of Doakes. Or Debra finds out, finally.

Lumen has been an interesting character. No idea where she's going to end up at the end of the season. Can't wait for it.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I think I like this season much more than last because I'm not upset about Dexter's character.

Dexter locking up Lumen and then trying to push her away but instead eventually giving up makes a lot more sense than trying to learn from a killer who's obviously emotionally damaged, or sharing his secrets with a guy that anyone could have seen was going to bite Dexter in the ass. I just don't get the bad feeling from Lumen that has me questioning Dexter's intelligence as I got in the last couple seasons. Some of the side stories need work, but this show is about Dexter, and in my opinion, Dexter's plot has the most potential that it's had in awhile.

And to think, I was dreading this season. Thinking it was going to be all about the kids, Rita, and trying to keep his secret. Shipping the kids off was the best thing this season has done. The quick ending to the Rita plotline went quite well with Dexter's limited emotional capabilities. The grief was still there and obvious, but it was quick and to the point, like most of Dexter's emotions.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  4. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Quality control is seriously screwy this season. This past episode was fucking awesome, the one before that was a total snore-fest and the one before that was great. I'm liking the most recent developments though and for once the B story has me just as interested as the A story.

5. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The most recent episode, Teenage Wasteland, is perhaps my favourite Dexter episode. Definitely this season at least.

I'm not sure what about it did it, but it all seemed to work. LaGuerta and Batista were kept to a minimum, Astor was bearable and even likable, Liddy was creepy and heading somewhere interesting, and the same with Jordon Chase. Dexter and Lumen were great, and the little bits of humour interspersed made the experience all the more enjoyable.

Really looking forward to the last three episodes.

6. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Though it feels different in a way (Different showrunner and Rita dying and all), this season is pretty great. Focusing on a group of villains and making it a metaphor to heal Dex and Lumen's personal pains works well and the fact I have literally no idea where Lumen's going to end up after all of this makes it all the more engaging - she could stick around and be Dex's new squeeze, she could get killed, she could do or be anything by the end of the season. Personally I'd hope for a happy ending, or at least more time with her just so we can get more awkward Lumen/Dex's family moments - the Deb scene in this episode was especially lulzy to me for some reason.

But yeah, this episode was pretty damn great (Though maybe last week's has been my favourite this season), especially because we got some more of Dexter's relationship with Astor, one of those little things that I was almost worried was going to be thrown away when the latter left. And I always like seeing Dexter solve a problem without killing somebody - violence is always involved in some way (Like Paul back in season one with the frying pan), but it's more of Dex being badass than Dex being sneaky and then tying somebody down on a table.

And finally, to echo scaryisntit, I'm really looking forward to the last three episodes. Dex Vs Liddy and Chase. Twenty bucks on Quinn killing Liddy and some sort of deal being made between him and Dex.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I agree with most folks here. The last two episodes have been great. I slightly favor last week's episode, but I loved Dexter's and Astor's development in Teenage Wasteland. LaGuerta's scenes are annoying, mostly because I don't like her character, though I think the department would be lesser without her. This season has been dropping hints that Debra is going to get hit with the clue bat in regards to Dexter's extra-curricular activities.

If we're having $20 bets,
    then mine is on Lumen taking the fall for being the vigilante killer.

8. Potterondrugs

Potterondrugs Seventh Year

Is it just me or is the girl who plays Debra Morgan the worst actress of all time?

9. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Just you.

She's got a hard character in Debra, and I think Jennifer Carpenter(Married to Michael C. Hall) does a good job.

Pretty sure she's won awards, or was at least nominated for portraying Debra Morgan.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah, she does a pretty good job of acting like a real person lol. At least in my opinion.

11. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't know if it's a realistic portrayal, but the character's really grown on me - and in large part thanks to her. I think she does a great job. Michael C. Hall is even better though.

12. yak

I was fooled too. If that whole clumsy and awkwardly-limbed act is really just an act, then she's a far better actress than I'd believed.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I want to punch her in the face every time she talks and does that whole bit where she doesnt move half her face. That lead girl from Weeds does that, and it drives me batshit. Deb/Carpenter's mannerisms just annoy the hell out of me. She';s strong one minute, then not worth a shit the next.

This season has turned out to be epic, but then all of a sudden they're rushing it towards conclusion.
    Dexter gets sloppy here and there, but rushing to get the blood form the pendant and leaving a trace? Not believable given what's at stake.
    Liddy videos them, so he's going to have to die, my money's on Quinn doing it for some reason and Dexter covering it up.

14. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I was sort of confused as to how Liddy taped them. Doesn't he take his boat way out to catch strong currents? It looked like he was disposing of a body in the middle of the harbour.

Edit: Ok, Necrule's story works. The transition was a bit clumsy though.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  15. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I only assumed that he followed them out on his own boat and took some photo's, since I can't see Dexter dumping bodies close enough to shore, where a camera can pick them up.

16. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Liddy said that he took the pictures of them with the bag and that when they returned the bags were gone. It is why he thinks the bags might be drugs if not a dead body, if they are meeting someone on the ocean to make the drug deal.

Seems to me that the writers did think of it, but they needed to have Lumen and Dexter to have that moment and Liddy taking pictures needed to happen at the end of the episode for cliffhangar purposes. So we saw the two scenes as happening at the same time, but to character Liddy he never saw the body dump.

17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I guess that makes more sense. I thought one of the photos had the bags in hand like they were dumping it, but I guess they were loading it at the time.

18. yak

I just checked the photography scene in ep 8 and the printed photos in ep 9. In both cases they show Dexter and Lumen loading the luggage bags (which they used to transport the body from the hotel) onto the boat and not the garbage bags that were used to finally dump the body. That makes more sense in regards to Liddy's conversation with Quinn in ep 9.

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I must of remembered it wrong, I thought he was taking pics of them from the dock while they were dumping in the middle of the harbor.

20. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

They were 'before and after' pictures. The boat sailed out with bags on it and came back into harbor with no bags at all.

And does anyone thing Quinn is really gonna let this go?