1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Of course. I'm not denying that. Hell, I've pretty much every setting I've ever written in over the table.

But something that's stupid and used in a good plot is still stupid. You can still make a good story--a single idea that doesn't mean anything isn't going to decide if it's a good or bad story (unless it's handled really badly, I guess).

That has nothing to do with whether the idea is stupid, however.

This idea could not work (in canon) in anyway, and the amounts of handwaving and bullshitting needed to make it possible are incredible.

But if it happened, so what?

It doesn't change anything, really. The Queens only get involved in times of extreme need or importance and then they leave--for most people, their existence changes nothing.

The Queen has changed through ridiculous acts of stupidity and not a single fuck was given that day.

Why bother? The only thing this really effects is that in the worse case scenario, Lea turns Harry into a dog and keeps him as a pet. But even that's unlikely, since she could just make him be her knight instead.

(Also, the last time the Black Council tried to take Mab, they got their asses kicked, even when Mab's army was busy. She literally didn't even think it necessary to bring them back)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This. Mortal wizards and a few Denarians literally stand no chance at taking Mab down alone (remember, the entire White Council has an even chance if they have her name), unless they have significant outside help from major powers (vampire courts, extremely powerful magical artifacts, Outsiders [maybe], etc).

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm very wary of stating that anything is flat-out impossible in the Dresdenverse. Heck, half the things Harry has beaten in the series should have been impossible opponents if you just look at the relative power levels.

Yes, Mab is massively powerful, and ridiculously intelligent, but she's not infallible or omnipotent.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also, iron. Ryuugi Shi may think I'm overestimating its ability to damage Faeries, but it has been equated to radioactive waste in the books. That puts it less in the 'This is dangerous, don't touch it' area and more in the 'Don't fucking touch it or you will die a horrible death' area.

5. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

This isn't about her being infallible or omnipotent. This is just here being better, smarter, more connected, having more experience, having more allies and friends, having millions and millions and millions of minions, and being competent.

Only we know that's not true.

Scarecrow got his limbs cut of by iron in PG and he simply grew them back. In seconds. Lea got iron dumped on her and her face started burning horribly, but next time we saw her, which was a day later, she was fine.

For the way, it's a horrible experience and being touched my it hurts like hell and they don't like it. But we've seen them get chopped by it and covered in it and they started recovering immediately.

6. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    None of which prevents her from being beaten by someone else. Dresden has come out ahead against people who were better, smarter, and more connected than him more than once.

Yeah, beating Mab is nigh-impossible, but there's a huge gap between one-in-a-million chance of success and flatly impossible. She can be outmaneuvered, she can make mistakes. Are either of those things likely/easy to pull off? Hell no. But it can still happen.

7. Accepted Behavior Within

Accepted Behavior Within Squib

I'm curious, what would happen if someone like Alexander Anderson lands in Dresdenverse world? It's not hard to imagine the good father trudges onto gunfire, hellfire, vampires and fallen angels all the while yelling enough scripture to suffocate a grey knight as he wields his Blessed bayonets like a demented praying mantis and slaughtering everything in his path.

Especially if he's allowed for redemption and to protect all of mankind, whether they are Protestant or Islamic. It would be even more interesting if he is granted to wield the holy sword Fidelacchius.

8. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

Then he really isn't Anderson, then, is he?

9. Accepted Behavior Within

Accepted Behavior Within Squib

That's the point of fanfic discussions.

10. Portus

Portus Heir

Where is it stated that Cowl is behind the athame? Lea traded Bianca one of the Holy Swords for it, and it was later hinted that the knife came from the Black Council, but was that ever confirmed, especially to have been from Cowl?

@Ryuugi Shi: You're being a combative and rigid douche. If something doesn't fit *exactly* with what you think, you dismiss it, claim it's stupid, and try using WoJ to back it up. Often, you're correct with the letter of WoJ, but after all, this is the Dresden Fanfic Ideas thread, not the Dresden Straight Canon thread.

On paper, not many entities in TDF can go toe to toe with Mab, we get it. But on paper, Dresden gets splattered by He Who Walks Behind, and about 30 other beings in the 13 books we have so far. Guess what? That's the reason we root for Harry, both the Potter one and the Dresden one, and it's the *reason* the Black Council would use something like a cursed athame: to even the odds or just to sow discord and chaos in some sector.

So yeah, stop being such a bitch and instead of saying "that's stupid and would never work; here's why," why don't you try saying, "that's an interesting idea but isn't likely to work; here's some ways to improve on it and make it more plausible"?

TL;DR - Stop being a bitch and either improve the idea or STFU.

EDIT: At least people have stopped with the Percy Jackson shit for now. /cheers loudly

EDIT 2: And to those saying Mab or whoever would be fine after being stabbed with iron, are you seriously forgetting what happened to Aurora?

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm fairly confident we could start at it again if you desperately don't want us to. ;)

12. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    I think it has to do with the fact that Cowl was at Bianca's party. I'm also pretty sure I remember it being stated somewhere that Bianca got the athame from him, but I can't remember where it says that in the books (or it might have just been WoJ).

13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Keep in mind that regardless of how human some of them may look, they are still natives to the Nevernever. Lea might have showed up the next day to Dresden's perspective, but who's to say it wasn't months from hers? Or weeks?

And the two you're discussing are massive heavy weights. Lea's second to Mab alone, stated many times. The Phage shrugged off a damn lot of shit before that face full of summer fire. And its been confirmed by God himself that Mab is powerful enough that to hurt Mab, you'd need a minor god, or literally every living wizard no the planet.

The only low level thugs you really see are the younger gruffs, Toot and his little folk, and Jenny Greenteeth.

Saying they can all shrug off Iron because the Major League Sidhe-ball players can is pretty iffy, mate.

Also this.

14. T3t

High Score:
    Also, stabbing Mab in the heart with an enchanted iron dagger/sword would stand a fairly decent chance of killing her. Of course, you'd have to get close enough...

15. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right Im sorry but no, if all that was needed to kill a damned Queen was an iron dagger they wouldn't be nearly the kind of threat they are. There is no possible way whatsoever this would kill Mab, piss her off quite a bit sure but actually kill her? Until Butcher says it word for word I don't believe it for a moment.

16. Aekiel

High Score:
    Dude, it only takes one bullet to kill the President of the USA, but he's still a god damn huge threat to anyone standing against him. Consider it her Achilles Heel if you will; her one vulnerability.

Hell, Aurora died because of papercuts from steel knives and you try to fucking tell me that being stabbed is less serious than that?

17. T3t

High Score:
    Basically what Aekiel said. If a sufficiently powerful fae is non-lethally wounded with iron, they will probably survive. But it is quite literally the only thing that's guaranteed to have a chance at killing them.

18. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

Additionally, you'd have to get the iron into Mab somehow. And I doubt she'd just sit back and let herself get cut.

19. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thats an absurd comparison, it only takes one bullet because the President minus the title is the exact same as any guy off of the street. Minus her title Mab is still a being powerful enough that she can stalemate every living wizard on the face of the planet when they have her true name outside of her stronghold.

Also yeah I am Aekiel because that was while she was tired, completely focused on something else besides trying to survive and Dresden had to hold her down for a long time before she finally bought it and shes orders of damned magnitude weaker than Mab.

I am absolutely saying that there is no way a knife to the heart is going to do anything more to Mab than make her really damned mad.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    No, you're missing the point entirely. It only takes one iron dagger because the Queen of Winter minus the title is the exact same as any other faerie in the Nevernever. This isn't a matter of power, it's a matter of biology. After all, it takes just as much radiation to kill a body builder as it does to kill a child.