1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. redshell

redshell Order Member

That's what I get for having only a passing knowledge of most mythology, I suppose. Although I am interested in Norse mythology, perhaps I should make it a pet project to become more knowledgeable in the subject.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

If you wanna learn more about it, start with the Prose Edda. There's a bunch of translations for it floating around, and it's one of the very few mostly intact sources of Norse myths out there.

The Poetic Edda is also good, but hard to follow. It's kinda like reading the original form of the Illiad, it's all in verse and if you're not used to it, it can get rather confusing quite quickly.

Edit: Also, be prepared for conflicting information and a metric fuckton of uncertainty. The myths themselves are so old, with so few surviving written records of them, that even the experts will give wildly varied accounts of the same thing (the most glaring one I know of is that nobody can quite agree if Loki is outright evil or just a dick). Just about the only things universally agreed on is the stuff detailed by the two Edda.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'd still argue that The Allfather makes Ragnarok much more awesome - he's a fairly integral part of the whole thing, afterall.

It's not like the end wouldn't have come with or without the Gallows Lord.

4. Agayek

Yea, but all he really accomplishes in Ragnarok is pissing off the sons of Muspell (leading to all 9 worlds being incinerated) and getting swallowed by the Fenriswolf.

Granted, doing so causes Vidarr to go into a berserker rage and tear the wolf's face in twain, but Odin really doesn't do a whole lot. Everything leading up to Ragnarok that Odin makes quite a bit more awesome, but his acts in the battle itself are somewhat underwhelming.

5. syed

syed Supermod

Has any one seen the new show GRIMM? I bet that all those monsters were creations of the same dark wizards, and the Grimms were made to deal with them, or at least has a connected origin story. That secret seven houses of Verat could easily be signatories of the accords.

There is this show ONCE UPON A TIME, i wonder if they are all from the nevernever, and the curse sent them here. The nevernever is said to contain infinite plains and realms.

So potentially even other remakes we see on sci fi could easily be added. Oz, Alice, Haven and Jack and the bean stalk etc, using the NeverNever as an explanation.

I always liked the idea of a multi crossover, but they never seem to get done right, people just over do them in most occasions.

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Another thought; Harry was slotted to die at Corpsetaker's hands in Dead Beat, wasn't he? It was only Gard and Marcone's intervention that altered his fate. How do you think the series would have played out if Harry had died there?

Its early enough that I don't think everyone and their mother would surge forward and consume the city in the same vein as Ghost Story showcased it, but where would Harry have ended up? How would the war with the Reds go?

7. redshell

redshell Order Member

The angels would have intervened sooner. Uriel would've had to tip his hand earlier than he'd have liked, and either fully resurrected Harry, or made him a ghost.

Besides, if Gard and Marcone didn't intervene, do you really think Lea and by extension Mab wouldn't? Or Thomas? The vast majority of the people I've listed have plans for Harry, and only one of them actually cares about him as more than a means to an end (Thomas, obviously).

As far as my little plot bunny, I just got one that's incredibly out there. What if Harry's mother was leading the Black Council?

8. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    EDIT: Aw, shite. I hate it when I mix up tabs- this post's content was meant for the 500 club.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Considering how far she was shown to be willing to go to protect her children I just can't see this working with how many times the Black Council has tried to off Harry either directly or indirectly. If Margaret was in charge and she found out her son nearly died during one of these plots I can't see it ending any other way than a bloodbath. Margaret Le Fay was not someone you fucked with lightly.

10. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Maybe that's why they killed her, eh?

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...she died during childbirth, guys. The White King killed her.

12. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Yeah. Was throwing it out there as a potential overthrow scenario.

13. redshell

redshell Order Member

That's why it's fanfiction. There's this awesome thing we have called "Alternate Universe" where we change shit that happened.

14. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    You could always alter the reasoning for the Raith situation and why he sent the entropy curse after Margaret to fit such an idea without too much trouble.

15. syed

syed Supermod

I was wondering if someone could tell me what of the following are rumors, theories, truth or fantasy.
    The Black Court Vampires were made using necromancy.
    The Denarians were involved in the creation of the BCV.
    Necromancy can be used on or against BCV.
    There are around 30 BCV elders left.
    The WCV are enemies of the BCV, and may have arranged for Dracula to be written.

The BCV are a shadow of their former power due to them being hunted, so only the strongest have survived. The RCV was a major power, and know to work with the BCV, so with out their assistance the BCV are left in the cold. Harry knows how to use Necromancy to harm BCV, will he wipe out another vampire court. Not all of it perhaps, but definitely shatter it so what left will be seen as pest and vermin of the supernatural world.
    Harry wiped out an entire court of the accords, wont that cause trouble among other members.

We never find much about other members of the accords. They are either courts representing their races or free holding lords, so I wonder just how many People or races could qualify to gain a seat at the table. If you want to get in you need the ability to hold your own against other members.In that the TV show GRIMM, the seven noble houses of Verat, would qualify as the Wesen Court.

Most gift or cursed people would come under the oversight of the WC,s o it would be cool to imagine other independant parties.

16. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only one I see that is something I know is that the White Council not White Court were the ones who had Stoker write Dracula

17. Agayek

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, it's not beyond plausibility that Margaret was one of the people to set up the Black Council. I mean, she was a lover of Lord Raith, was acquainted with Arianna of the Red Court and tried to get Ebenezar (the Blackstaff) to join up to her cause. The Black Council (as stated by Cowl) believes the White Council is rotting and going to collapse in on itself, and Margaret was well known amongst the Wardens for her willingness to bend the Laws of Magic. Then, at some point, she got cold feet and ran off to marry Malcolm Dresden, and Lord Raith killed her with the entropy curse. Sounds to me like she got in too deep and realised just how corrupt the people she was working with actually were.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She might have been involved, but I doubt she wielded the kind of power/influence to be a founding member.

20. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Why not? Wouldn't be the first time a small fish came up with a plan and ended up floating down shit creek when a bunch of big fish crashed the party and ended up co-opting the entire shebang. Maybe she started it as the magical equivalent of Rapture Ready and it only started taking an active hand in the Council's demise after she lost influence.