1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Distant Star by Joe Ducie

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, May 25, 2012.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

Even though Wastelands wasn't my cup of tea, I applaud your being published and all the determination and hard work that entails. Just don't forget about Unfound Door, fuckhead.

And Cheddar - bragging that you know a published author will bring up questions of How? and From where? and lead to questions of What the hell is DLP? and Oedipus what? and then to statements of I need to reevaluate our friendship, you pervert.

EDIT: And I'm sorry, but every time I see Joe Ducie, my mind automatically adds in Steve Doocy, which is a shame. Yes, both are duce/dooce-bags, but for entirely, completely different reasons. ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I bought it and I won't have the time to read it for several days. Words cannot express my disappointment.

Let the pimping begin.

Joe: I hope you're prepared to become 'close friends' with all 10,000 members of DLP. We know the author! Prepare your anusfacebook. :awesome

Joe
  3. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Joe, I am bitterly jealous.

But your last name kind of looks like 'Douche,' so it evens out.

Congrats!

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Joe when you will win your first Hugo or Nebula, remember to mention DLP in your acceptance speech.

Also, who plans to write its first fanfic? :)

5. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I haven't read any of your other work, dear Joe, so as soon as this comes out in paperback I shall read the shit out of this, and force my friends and family to read it.

6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Your real name is Joe? Definitely didn't expect that. I just got tapped for 16 extra hours, so i'll try to pick this up once it comes out for my nook.

7. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Hot damn Captain Joe...

Bought that shit. Will buy the hard copy when it comes out.

Way to go, and review pending.

8. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Just bought the book a minute ago, I don't know when I'll be able to get around to reading it though. My 'to read' pile has been getting bigger recently. I'll leave a review once I read it, whenever that will be.

9. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Just read the sample offered on Amazon. You've got me hooked and my money. Any idea how much the paperback will go for?

10. Entreri

Entreri Squib

Bought it. Read it in one sitting. Loved it. (Note to self: IOU a good night's sleep.)

Though it's too goddamn short - very solid plotwise, but some of the not-quite-fleshed-out characters leave me craving for me. Just as planned, you magnificent cocktease?

11. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck you all with your Kindle editions and paperback faggotry. I'm holding out for a hardback.

Then I shall purchase two thousand and build my house out of them.

12. insectamantidae

insectamantidae Professor

Love it so far! Trapped on a train now, reading happily. Thank you, for making my trip all the more lovely!

Also, I love all your work, it's always a pleasure to read - I've bought every single one of your books for me, and my sister's kindle too. I told her it was her birthday present, and she said "It's not my birthday" to which I replied...

"It is now. Shut up and go read."

Joe
  13. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    There will be other formats, soon. Amazon are just the quickest - because they're the biggest, I guess - but expect to see it on Barnes & Noble, Sony, Apple, and the other ebook sites soon. Within two-three weeks.

This I'm unsure of - I'll have to ask the imprint. It will be on Amazon, yes, but I think the distribution channels may include some of the larger online bookstores, as well.

I'm holding out for a dead tree edition, too!

I'm working on fanfic updates. Unfound Door Chapter 5 is about halfway done, and stalled, but Heartlands just got a 1000 word jump start yesterday. I've been concentrating on the novel for the last few months, polishing and pimping, so now that its coming out I can get back to other writingz.

Ha, I heard them all growing up, so bring it, chief. It's pronounced 'Do-chey'.

No, no it isn't. More like 'Do-see'. But I'll take Douche.

I want to say a tentative $15.95, if I remember the email from a few months ago correctly.

Yes, kind of as planned. Although this first story is standalone - as in it has a beginning, middle, and end - it can be viewed as a prologue to a much larger story, of which I will be writing for the next few years.

I want to aim at having the next volume ready within 6-8 months of the previous one hitting stores. So I've got till Christmas, roughly, for Reminiscent Exile #2 (which will be named Broken Quill).

And it will be glorious!

Thanks to all who have bought and those who have read and those who plan to do so!

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Eh, I know... let's see... three guys who have published books personally. Joe would be a fourth, but I haven't actually met Joe. Of those three that I have met, I met two of them playing World of Warcraft, which is almost as bad as saying I ran into someone on an online fanfiction forum. Almost, but not quite, so I guess you have a point given that this is DLP. I guess I could fudge and just say "online."

I expect Joe's book to stomp two of those guys, possibly all three. But we shall see. ;)

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought it was Ducky. I am disappoint.

Edit:

Also, how much are amazon and the punlishers taking away, Joe? If I'm paying you the majority, then I'll definitely buy the paperback when it comes out.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  16. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    You are, yes. I get roughly between 65 - 76% of every sale, depending on whether ebook/paperback.

17. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't. I do now.

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I bought it, despite not having a Kindle. Kind of wish I'd waited for it to be released for my e-reader's brand. Guess I'll have to find a way to convert it somehow so I can read it on there. Depending on how good it turns out I might get it for paperback too.

I'm not very far in yet (I paused at the start of Chapter Eight to write this), but it's interesting. Definitely a lot like Wastelands of Time.

19. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

So at the current rates, it's 10.18 in UK pounds. And either way you're getting a majority, correct? I think waiting for paper-back will remain the case for me, then. I'd rather you make 65 or 75% of $ 16 than $ 6. :sherlock:

Just bump this thread when the paper-back comes out, though.

20. liath

liath Seventh Year

Bought it. Looking forward to reading it.