1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Anthology Revival

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by ScottPress, Apr 1, 2020.

?

Anthology theme?

Poll closed May 1, 2020.
  1. Antho #5 revival - Sci-fi

44.9%
  2. Horror

14.3%
  3. Urban Fantasy

14.3%
  4. High Fantasy

36.7%
  5. Mystery

14.3%
  6. Thriller/Detective

24.5%
  7. Underworld/Fairytale

26.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I helped with some critique/feedback back in the day, though IIRC I dropped the ball on getting feedback done for the fifth one (which was never published anyway). I don't think I was a mod yet back then.

I have strong opinions here regarding quality control and the fact that we need to, well, have it. We can't expect people to write professionally (we're not professionals, with a few exceptions). We can sort stories into two categories - those that are good enough as is, and revision is optional, and those that require revision before going in (at which point critique/feedback is provided and it's up to the author to provide another draft).

I'd like to think that we'd all rate all published as a 4/5 or higher if they were fanfics. If they're not there yet then try to get them there. But I'm not sure how everyone would want to handle that - public voting might be tricky. In the past I think we mailed out word documents for feedback to a handful of people, but it's been a while.

Anyway. That's my opinion. If everyone feels strongly that everyone should get in that wants in, that's fine too. We had some great stories in the past and that's going to be true again, regardless of rules or moderation. You all are fantastic.

As far as word count goes I tend to have strong feelings there (as many of you have seen from my posts in the Competitions). If 7,500 words is good enough for Nebula/Hugo awards I'd think it should be good enough for us - but there's nothing wrong with 10,000 either. Or even 17,500, if you want to follow their guidelines for Novelettes instead.

Just keep in mind Stephen King's advice: Second Draft = First Draft minus 10%. Most of us use more words than we need, imo.

I'm excited to see this being discussed again!

2. Ched

Also, here's some interesting word count information for all you Butcher fans.

I looked at the table of contents for both Brief Cases and Side Jobs, Butcher's two anthologies. I listed the starting page number for each short story and calculated how many pages would be in each short story. Rule of thumb is that there are approximately 250 words per page in a book.

upload_2020-4-6_1-39-52.png

Butcher averages about 8.5k for his short stories.

Shortest story at 6 pages (1500 words approx), though this appears to have been an outlier.
    Second shortest story at 20 pages (5000 words approx).
    His longest still come in under 60 pages, and if I recall at least one of those (Bombshells, maybe?) was marketed as either a novelette or a novella to help sell the new anthology. None reached 60 pages (15,000 words approx).

If Butcher can average 8.5k for his short stories across two anthologies, how much more do we need? I think 2k-10k seems a reasonable range.

Disclaimer - I had originally looked this information up in order to get a sense of where his stories fell in case we do a Dresden Fanfiction competition in Q3 (alongside our standard Harry Potter one). Waiting to judge interest before making that happen, but this seemed relevant information to have.

Disclaimer 2 - I do not have digital copies of either text handy to check how accurate these rough estimates are for these specific texts. There are factors that could tilt it either way.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just bumping this to see if anyone else wants to throw in responses on any of the below questions.

4. Ched

I somewhat offered my thoughts earlier in a longer post but I’ll summarize and clarify. This is opinion only - feel free to adjust or go with something else.

Put the stories up in individual threads with a Poll that has two options.
    1. Goes into Anthology - minor edits are the only thing needed.
    2. Major edits needed before inclusion.
    Anyone willing to provide critique should do so to help with feedback and possible improvement.

If a story gets voted #2 then they get to resubmit it in X time (a month?) to be voted on again as either admitted or not, depending upon if everyone feels the edits were sufficient.

Thoughts?

5. Mordecai

High Score:
    Awesome thanks for the thoughts Ched, definitely some ideas to discuss as we go forwards. Anyone else got any ideas to throw in?

6. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I prefer Ched's binary selection system - I'm in favour of anything that streamlines and simplifies the process, honestly. I'd also like to say I want in, regardless of function. If it's High Fantasy, I'd prefer not to be a writer, but beta, editing, what have you, I'm in.

7. Ched

If High Fantasy is picked we’ll need to define that for ourselves. Traditionally it deals with (1) other worlds, (2) includes other races, and (3) has an epic good v evil storyline solved by something other than brute force.

We can’t all write epic victories over dark lords so we might forgo #3 in that list.

For our purposes it might be easiest to say “urban” is in our world or a recognizably similar one while “high” is set elsewhere.

But it looks like SciFi is winning anyway so with luck we won’t need to delve into that.

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's the cut off point for sci-fi anyway? Like ten years into the future? A hundred? Assuming a story is dealing with this part of the galaxy of course.

9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Should be the past, case in point Blade Runner 2049

10. Ched

I see SciFi and Fantasy as sides of a coin.

Stuff exists/happens that can’t/doesn’t/whatever in the real world.

Does the story frame it in terms of magic (fantasy) or technology (sci-fi)?

Again - just my personal thoughts. Whatever we go with will need discussion to agree to ‘what counts’ before people write.

And as it’s not a competition there’s no reason everyone can’t run their ideas by everyone else to check.

11. Mordecai

High Score:
    Yeah, with sci fi I don't think there needs to be a specific time limit. You could write a sci fi story set today, if you involved aliens or alien technology, or went in the Stargate SG1 sort of direction. Its not really about the time frame, but other aspects of the story.

12. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So how is this coming along folks?

13. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Currently brainstorming and outlining - it's been a LONG time since I've written fiction, much less sci-fi, so I'm hoping to get a solid idea and outline moving soon.

14. LittleChicago

Did we settle on sci-fi? Is this a definite thing? Is the proverbial ball rolling?

15. Ched

I have no idea who plans to take point this time or who all will be involved in the logistics.

I’ll bring it up with staff tonight.

16. Threadmarks: Antho #5 Theme: Sci-Fi
    ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could have sworn I'd taken care of the thread already. My bad.

Looks like all the votes that would have come have come in.

Anthology #5 theme will be
    Sci-fi
    I will get in touch with the Antho Committee and we'll update everyone once the details and guidelines are finalized.

If you want to follow the development of the project, it's a good idea to Watch the thread so you're notified when it's updated.

If you're interested in being one of the editors (not mutually exclusive with submitting your own entry, but keep in mind that we want to put out quality work and thorough editing takes time and effort), PM me or @Mordecai or @Joe.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  17. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
  18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Submission guidelines will be announced once details are hammered out.

19. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I'll assume there are no objections to my cold and cruel oversight, given a lot of backend work falls to me and I'm happy to do that work.

I see @Ched is in discussion with the staff - so actually I won't just assume command, in case there are any concerns from the Executive, but I'm making it known I'll captain the ship and, should that be cool, I'll set a deadline for submission guidelines to be posted (in consultation with the anthology committee) on 20-MAY-2020.

20. LittleChicago

Not open for further replies.