1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Diplomacy

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Arthellion, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Brits are always be so pretentious.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

The one who seeks peace is a mighty shit stirrer.

3. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

Hold the fuck up guys I haven't gotten the trains running on time yet.

4. Lion

Coming from the biggest pile of shit, I'm sure you're worried.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Peace is a myth in diplomacy

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]
    Gott erhalte Franz, den Kaiser! Unsern guten Kaiser Franz!

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's one ugly flag.

8. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Or Webdiplomacy. Or vdiplomacy

10. Zombie

I knew those places existed. Just went with it how Arthellion wanted to. He's GM after all.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    I like the site, but for the sake of DLP gonna run it on here. The game isn't that complicated from a GM perspective and I like the opportunity to bring more awareness to the game for DLP. Give people the opportunity to cheer for certain players, roleplay some stuff if people want, etc.

12. Halt

I've gotten the go ahead from Arthellion about this - opening it up to the players in case someone has objections. It is your game after all and your playing experience is paramount.

"Would you guys be open if I wrote a running commentary on the moves of the players as the game progresses? This would be similar to the School of War Games they run on WebDiplomacy (if you know what that is).

Basically, it analyzes the moves of players on the board after these have been processed turn-by-turn, and attempts to provide some insight based on that information on what might be going on behind the scenes between player communications. The commentary is usually structured in a way to prevent affecting the game as much as possible (advice, if any is given, is termed as one of several possible alternatives and never in a way as to go "Hey England, stab this guy now!" - Stabs are in general kept hush hush, until they've occurred after which they can be discussed) while providing a learning experience to both those playing and watching.

It can give people a crash course in the opening theory of the game with a real life example in front of them, without having to read all the articles they publish on zines.

It does sort of alter the game experience so I wanted to make sure it's okay with both you and the players first."

13. ScottPress

High Score:
    I think we'd all be analyzing the other players' moves anyway, so if you want to compile them and save me time, I'm okay with it.

14. Zombie

Do your thing word man.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like AARs even when I'm not involved in them. It'll be interesting to see if you pick up on the motivations.

16. Threadmarks: Updated Rule
    Arthellion

High Score:
    No copying and pasting chat logs from PMs or what not. You're allowed to discuss things, but no copy/paste/screenshots.

17. Lion

The nation of Germany agrees with keeping historical records focused on its greatness. Let the little people understand our moves.

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    I should have applied for a job at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs irl, I'd be great at that shit.

19. Threadmarks: Halt's Introduction
    Halt

INTRODUCTION

Diplomacy is not a game for the feint of heart. It combines the tactics of chess, the strategy of risk, the game theory of the prisoner's dilemma, the public chat of a MOBA, the rhetoric of a debate team, the campaigning of a Presidential election with a dash of psychoanalysis and statistics for seasoning.

In a nutshell, its Multilayer, Free For All, Chess with Trash Talking.

Diplomacy, at its heart, is not a war game. Its a trust game. Who can I Ally with? Who is going to do what they say they do? Does it really make sense for X to attack Y like he says he will or is he really coming after me?

You don't know. You can't know, because the moves happen at the same time. Surely if X wanted to attack me, he'd Claim to be doing this move set to lower my guard? Is Z really not going to attack me, when he's as sixteen centers and only needs two more to win?

War is merely the logical conclusion of a breakdown in trust. The thing is, much like in a relationship, it takes two to tango. One side no longer trusting the other is enough to trigger war.

GOAL

The goal is simple. To win, you will must capture 50% +1 of the 34 supply centers (represented by White dots)

18, my dear friends, is the magic number.

It is not uncommon for a game of Diplomacy to have no winner as the board is like a locked into stalemate after a few nations have fallen

In such a case, players argue that if a Solo (a win) cannot be achieved, a Draw is the next best result, the fewer players the better. A two way draw signifies greater skill than a three way draw and so on.

If another player's victory is inevitable, you have lost though many (myself included) argue that surviving to see the end of the game is a worthy third objective if the first two cannot be achieved.

The worst of all outcomes is not surviving

As such we get
    WIN
    DRAW
    SURVIVE
    ELIMINATED

Part of the beauty of the game is its balance. The ever shifting strategic alliances which dominate a board means that a growing power will be responded to by the rest of the players with a coalition, so the growing power must skillfully navigate these murky waters, proclaiming peace to his friends (and convincing them of his sincerity) while sharpening the knife behind him.

To be victorious, a player must have:
    sound tactics -being capable of reasoning out objectively better moves against objectively worse ones

strategic flexibility and adaptability - your best laid plans will last exactly until the next phase begins

Diplomatic acumen - to convince people they can trust you

Ruthless killing sense - Being able to smell blood in the water and killing that part of you that says maybe I shouldn't do this, he was my ally. There is no room for hesitation when you betray your friends for victory.

And Self Control - just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I do not mean morality, but delayed gratification. Sacrificing long term objectives for short term gains is a losing proposition.

STATE OF THE BOARD, PREGAME

Who to trust? You don't know, and can't ever truly be sure but first we assume rational actors are preferred to Irrational actors.

Catching someone who will lie to everyone and anyone (say X says to you he's going to Munich but Y says X said he was going to Belgium) is a tricky proposition, because third parties may have a vested interest in breaking up your own alliances and agreements to suit their ends.

But It is a mistake to think lying right away is a good tactic. There's an art to it, be too obvious and no one will trust you. Rather, the best lies are those with nuggets of truth and twisting things so that the narrative you want to sell emerges.

Engage in conversation with everyone. The more you talk, the clearer a picture you get of what they want (in the short term) and who they are, but be aware they're doing the exact same thing to you.

One common trick is the Bounce. Say Germany and France are distrustful of each other and fear the other might attack. They could agree to both move to Burgundy in 1901 Spring. If either player breaks the agreement, he's in a strictly worse position, so both are incentivized to keep their word and more importantly, keeps Burgundy free from occupation of an army be either side!

The skillful diplomat may twist this by proclaiming that they are at war with Germany to England, while secretly plotting his demise with Germany...

These "contested territories" exist between most neighboring countries.

English Channel between France and England
    Burgundy between France and Germany
    Piedmont between Italy and France
    Venice/Trieste between Italy and Austria (not uncommon for both to move an army into the opposing center to lock that unit in place.)
    Galicia between Austria and Russia
    The Black Sea between Russia and Turkey
    Silesia/Prussia between Germany and Russia.

Above all, remember my friends. WORDS ARE WIND.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  20. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

@Halt That was great! I wasn't interested in following this before I read that