1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 23, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Pretty much what he said. lol

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Shut up Scrib and Richard.

[noparse]>:D[/noparse]

No but seriously, time to stop. Afaik Raven still gets an email for every post in this thread.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Suggestion:

Disable automerge in WBA. If you want to post two chapters in succession, it leads to rather unpleasing aesthetics.

4. methor

methor Fourth Year

You did not appreciate the first two chapters of "Alexandra Potter" being smooshed together?

5. Photon

Photon Order Member

"minimum number of posts before reccing fics in For Review?" idea should be relatively easy to implement. It would be a great thing - I am really new here, but it would stop my embarrassing first recommendation, recent post by person that used "For Review" forum as AR thread and other people unable to read stickies.

It is posted on feedback site: http://dlp.uservoice.com/forums/135...bout-a-minimum-number-of-posts-before-reccing with "Need a larger quorum for this." by Lord Ravenclaw.

136 votes, fourth place - I think that it qualifies as "a larger quorum"?

Reply to obligatory "LOL, necro": I posted in this thread, as popular and relatively uncomplicated idea reached "larger quorum" mentioned as requirement for implementation. Creating a new thread would be bad idea, as this one is linked from http://dlp.uservoice.com/forums/135547-dlp-improvement And yes, I think that this post was good enough to qualify under "If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though." mentioned in warning box.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  6. Oz

I think it's safe to say this thread is immune to necro-posts so long as your post is actually about improving DLP. Which your was. So carry on.

7. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I am strongly opposing this.

These days the worst recommendations come from members with way more posts than what we would require, i.e. Alexx has almost 200 posts. If we would set the limit that high the number of good recommendations would sink even further.

And people really wanting to promote their own shit would simply start spamming the board even worse than the TaureBot.

8. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Maybe the forum needs a more active role of the admins and mods, banning annoying people that don't follow the basic rules (both written and implied), like they used to do in the past.

That's exactly one of the things I love about DLP, it is not a democracy and is heavily controlled by the staff.

9. Photon

Photon Order Member

This one would need mods.

But there is a noticeable amount of recommendation from people below 25 votes - and almost always it is obvious that they failed to read stickies or submission fails for other reasons (like first mine - see https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=24107 - I really would prefer to be unable to post than irritate everybody, including author and myself).

10. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There is also a considerable amount of recommedations from people below 25 votes which end up with 4 or 5 stars, i.e. two recs posted for review by Liechtenstein (17 posts by now).

When I go through the recommendations of the last months I am convinced that the quality of recommendations has almost nothing to do with the number of posts someone has.

Thus I strongly oppose any implementation of that idea.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  11. Oz

I agree with Minion on this, post count means very little with regard to intelligence/fit in the community, I don't think For Review threads should be limited to those above a certain post count.

I'm also equal parts annoyed and amused with the number of people implying the staff should go on some sort of cull, like 'the good old days'.

Annoyed that you seem to think DLP is in some way diminished for being as diverse it is, or that fucking up even slightly is completely unforgivable; amused because 99% of the people I see making those implications I'm sure wouldn't have made it out of their own intro threads.

So I'll say this once and I think the staff will agree with me; stop asking us to be more ban-happy. Those who deserve to be banned will get banned.

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I've got what maybe a small suggestion.

Each time I pull up DLP I go to the Latest Post page and click through the various links to open up several tabs at once. I then go through them, etc.

Would it be possible that when I click that little green button to go to the latest post it would automatically open it in a new tab?

(Or is me opening numerous tabs frowned upon? If so, then disregard and I'll make a point to stop.)

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

If you have a middle mouse button (scroll wheel)

Use that on links and it will open a new tab each time, alternatively CTRL + Click does the same function. :)

14. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I knew about the CTRL+Click, I use that. But sometimes I just browse with my mouse. It works since I lurk a lot.

However, I didn't know about the wheel-click. You sir, just made my day!

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On a mac, Command + Click works too.

16. mvbp

mvbp Squib

High Score:
    Account verification could be streamlined. If the goal is to prevent bots, was a captcha not sufficient? It works for most other sites. reddit.com also makes new users fill out a captcha before each post to discourage bots and spammers. A similar system could be implemented here.

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

The CAPTCHA is not sufficient. You don't get to see it, but we get a few bots a day in the Sorting Hat forum despite having a CAPTCHA.

There are entire services dedicated to solving CAPTCHAs.

18. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Fun fact: The captchas you see on some of the shadier sites? Redirected captchas from 'proper' sites. That input is used to 'prove' that their bots are human.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's amazing. And disturbing.

20. recko

recko Muggle

High Score:
    Membership

I think Work By Author should be available to everyone :(

Not open for further replies.