1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Stocks Challenge III

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Scrib, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

I refuse to drop apple until it goes up a bit. That may end up ruining me but we'll see.

I do a mix of the two. I've traded and shorted a few. Not as vehemently as Mr. Woild, but I have a few stocks I'm holding on to.

2. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I plan to hold on to my stocks long enough to cover most of my initial losses and debts and then to spend more time shorting. It simply suits me better, playing the long game isn't for me I guess.

Also on another note, how many shares do you typically purchase? I generally get 1,000 of any share over $10 and 10,000 for any below. If it's a stock I trust I might just go by price and sink... 60K into but not much more. I wonder if this is making it more difficult for me to see returns or if it's safer.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I really should start playing this.

I've been trading with real money over the last 2.5 years with an aggressive short-term/speculative trading style.

All it's got me is a big $8k loss (on a $17k investment). I told myself I'd start doing paper trading when I sold everything to buy my car, but I'm kinda enjoying not having to spend 2 hours every day and 3-4 hours on weekends on technical analysis... >_>

4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

On that note...

http://dilbe******/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/30000/6000/500/136549/136549.strip.gif

5. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Damn.... Everyone had a bad Friday. I actually feel better about my last place now.

I'm torn, I've been doing some research, seeing what people like John Paulson and Warren Buffett are investing in and I saw a lot of gold. But by this point hasn't the whole gold thing slowed down substantially. Another problem is that I can't see when they bought it. If they showed their usual foresight they would have got it at a pittance, while I would be buying into a cooling market. Decisions,decisions...

6. World

I was thinking, at some points the stock has to go back up ... but nooo...

Let's see if it recovers before the end. Don't have the time to do fast trading like I did at the beginning...

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Wait, I don't check this for a few weeks, I lose money, even my GOOG shares go into the red... and I somehow manage to come out on top? This cannot last.

I need to pick up some more stocks though, hrm, what to buy...

8. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

I dumped google at it's peak. Then this happened. These numbers are making me sad.

9. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Do any of you guys know if this game has the stocks pay out dividends?

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    OMG I'M WINNING

11. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

The fact that winning these days means a .1% profit makes me very sad.

12. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Shit... I take it back :(

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol World just shot from last into first. Insanely curious about what he's got that went crazy today.

14. World

Just my stock that went down before, went back up again. If I had held them for a bit longer, I would've made another 20k or so, but I decided to get rid of them with minimal losses.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Re-arranged a bit, but not too much. I've still got 60k or so I haven't spent yet.

This game is great because it reinforces my knowledge that I have no real concept of what I'm doing with the Stock Market and that therefore I should not be doing this with real money, despite the fact that I want to learn.

I have enough savings now (barely) that I want to look at investing and increasing them, but damned if I can figure out the best way to do that. Lots of conflicting suggestions!

16. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

The safest way to invest your money is just to put it into a mutual fund or bonds and leave it there. Here are some choices of mutual funds that invest in stocks or bonds that have good returns.

If you are dead set on investing on stocks on your own however there are a few things that you should know before you do. This is the first book I ever read on stock investing. It's painfully basic and I would only recommend it if you truly don't have a clue what you're doing. Also, there are a few misleading statements by the author but overall its not bad. Once you have a basic grasp on how everything works it would probably be best to just open up an account at some brokerage service like E-Trade or Scottrade and see what you know and what you have to learn still. If you come across a term you don't know, you can just Google it and figure it out.

17. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Ugh, finally in the fucking green!

I should have saved myself a lot of heartache and bet on BAC and GE at the beginning.

/Scrib is quite pleased with himself.

18. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

I just barely made it into the green today too. If it weren't for one stock dragging my entire portfolio down, I would have been good a while ago.

19. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Which is why I abandoned that diversity shit.
    1) Pick a good stock.
    2) Throw all your money at it.
    3)???
    4) Profit.

This was pretty much what I've found to work. I wouldn't recommend it IRL, but here it's pretty effective.

20. World

Made about 30k less because the system cancelled my buy order before it went through. WHY? =(