1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Survey 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    That makes sense. However, I sort of expected people to have strong feelings about a small wizard population too. Many people feel that the ministry wouldn't really work or be necessary with a small population.

2. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Filled it out.

Albus Dumbledore, predictably, is DLP's favorite. Not complaining about that one.

On the topic of "There is no such thing as an inherently bad story idea. It all depends on the execution." I wonder if we have a proper discussion thread for it yet (probably yes, and will look for it later), but I fond myself torn between both options.
    I used to believe it verbatim, but now I accept it with caveats - I'd say "There is no such thing as a story idea that couldn't be executed competently, but some crazier ideas require deconstruction or even subversion of the original idea to become a good story, giving the one doing the execution an unfair drawback."

3. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

That's probably because of Taure's breakdown of HP Magic in his Headcannon document. It changed my mind on a lot of things, at least.

Also: Go Dumbledore!

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought it of it more along the lines of 'A sufficiently well cast shield charm can protect against nukes, but a badly cast one would not'.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I would posit the question whether it is actual slavery is exactly what the survey checks, but I guess that interpretation works too.

I find it strange that so many shit on pureblood supremacy justification. Fukken hypocrites. That's your call here, and then you turn around and praise Lords of Magic & co for their "bold AU vision" or whatever, mmh? I'm so onto you.

Also, @Newcomb, peak fandom was Equal & Opposite. Gotta re-read it one of these days to see how it holds up. Only thing @Amerision ever finished, the fucker. I still pine for Lost Time.

On the other hand, peak fandom would've included Sister, Mine, so I can't exactly talk. I hate myself a little bit every time I see the prologue. Doesn't make a plot appear, though.

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

This survey made me realise its probably been about 4 years since I read a HP fic.

7. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I see no one’s yet decided that the books aren’t cannon.

Also apparently no one here yearning for a aSoIaF-style “modern AU” fic where Hogwarts is a muggle school. Thank god.

Edit: Lol that one person just loving the helpful Goblins trope.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Speak for yourself, the only canon comes from the lego sets.

9. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The lego videogames are poor imitations, at best, to say nothing of the non lego videogames. They really went off the rails there.

Lego sets -> lego videogames -> non lego videogames -> TCG -> Harry Potter UNO

There's your tier list, you animals.

10. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Hogwarts House Mystery app adds some cool worldbuildling imo, but should def not be seen as canon.

11. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    But wouldn't the quality of the shield charm affect it's ability to protect against powerful magic, not muggle weapons? What makes a nuke more effective against a weak shield charm than a bullet? Is it because of its physical properties?

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Clearly "Wizards Unite" should be canon. Magical "cores" amirite?

13. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I get to stay in the "young" category one more year!

14. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

i am in the child category for another year.

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    I don't have a magical based reason for it. I just think it makes for a better story to have feats that would be otherwise impossible be done by a talented character. If you're going to drop a nuke on your characters then having them survive it should be something worth distinction. I mean, unless you've going for a wizard vs muggle curbstomp fic, but they're shit in the first place so that shouldn't be a consideration.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That specific example did get discussed in one of the various tech vs magic threads we've had, although it was a few years ago I think. But that was exactly my thinking behind choosing no for that question - not beyond the capabilities of magic, but (should be) beyond all but the most exceptional wizards and witches.

17. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Why a Nuke though? Wouldn't giving powerful characters feats of protecting against powerful magic be more impressive? Especially if they are able to do more advanced stuff like reflect the magic, or do other variations on the shield charm?

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    Kinda, but at the same time not really. Showcasing a character's skill against magic requires pitting them against someone with equal or greater skill, in which case you're better off showing either the protagonist's grasp of tactics and lateral thinking to win, or having previously established a piece of knowledge become relevant enough to give the character an edge in the fight. In story terms this is a Man vs Man conflict, where philosophy, wits and conviction are the primary attributes at play.

Against something like a nuke it's not a matter of sideways thinking and trying to outplay your opponent. It's just a matter of 'Am I good enough?' Story-wise it fits into Man vs Environment, which focuses on mastery of skill, knowledge and determination.

They're different conflicts and fulfil different story niches, so I treat them differently when I encounter them.

19. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

I voted no in the 'nuke can be stopped by a shield' because in my mind a protego stops magic and kinetic force (I.e flying shrapnel, bullets) . But a nuke dropped on you would also turn you into ash from the high temperature/ liquify you from the with radiation. Can a shield charm protect you from the high temperatures in the Sahara? If it can't then it really shouldn't protect you from a nuke. In my mind, at least.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    Different things entirely, at least from the way I view magic.

Magic isn't a physical process so while it does trump natural laws in pretty much all cases, it doesn't adhere to natural processes in doing so. The shield charm is a protection from harm that starts off blocking magic, but with greater skill includes protection from physical harm. Harm in this case being an intent to harm. There is no intent behind the Sun heating the Sahara to the point of danger, but there is intent behind a nuclear weapon.