1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Survey 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

I mean, it’s a pretty simple explanation. Most of DLP is straight dudes. We are naturally going to enjoy two women more than two men. That doesn’t necessarily say anything about the quality of writing.

That said both lesbian and gay fics typically fall into the trashy romance genre. Both kinds of stories are typically masturbatory in nature rather developing real plot.

To clarify I’m speaking in general here.

2. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

True, that would explain the variance in those that enjoy the relationships in fanfics. The difference in those that tolerate it though is probably where I'm most interested. There's just so many factors to consider. Like are there any good fics that are just coincidentally filled with gay relationships? I can only think of a couple off the top of my head.

I genuinely have no idea. I think of a lot of stories where the hetero relationships are bland and awful but then they just blend into the background and its forgivable because well it's fanfic. Are there MORE lesbian relationships that just play bit parts in an otherwise enjoyable fic? I can't think of any really.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Your first mistake is thinking that a relationship makes a story. It should be an aspect of a story, not the entirety of the story, and that's where most slash and fem-slash writers lose their audience, unless you're a specific person that would really only want to read a story because of the pairing tag.

I don't read stories based on relationship pairing. I've read slash, fem-slash, and trans/non-binary etc. You find all kinds of stuff when you're just reading to read. And they've been fairly decent. The ones that aren't decent are the ones that focus wholly on the relationship at the cost of everything else, and that I think, as has been stated repeatedly, is most people's issue with slash.

Also, trying to cookie-cutter pairings, or making all characters in a largely hetero-story non-hetero to suit their goals with no explanation makes people not like slash in general.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A relationship can be a story. There's an entire genre of romance. But in the HP fandom, most romance fics are trashfires. DLP tends to look for stories with more to them than just a romance plot.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Its always more than the relationship though. A story is the sum of its parts, not just one aspect. Romance is composed of struggle, growth, acceptance, misery, hope, and happiness. It is not just the pairing. That's being very based on what romance means.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I can't think of a single HP story I've read with a lesbian relationship in it. Not because I've actively avoided them but because I haven't seen any?

There's tons of gay stories though because Harry is male. So he gets paired with Draco or Snape or whoever. Sirius gets paired with Remus.

What are y'all reading that has two women? Hermione/Ginny? Or is it all femme!Harry?

7. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

Ched my good man, have you heard of a FFN writer known as uoduck?

8. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just haven't read a lot of f/f fics, they seem way less common then m/m. Also, like slash they tend to be absurd character pairings but unlike certain types of fics where slash randomly comes in at a late chapter they're upfront about it from the start so I tend to avoid them more I guess.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That appears to be a metric fuckton of fem!Harry lesbomancy.

10. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Fem!Harry/Voldebabe

11. Hymnsicality

If you go on A03 there are a decent amount of Fleur/Hermione stories, in fact I'm pretty sure that one of Jeconais stories has Fleurmione(?) in it. Daphne/Tracey is also fairly common if one of them isn't paired with Harry and sometimes Susan/Hannah.

12. Majube

High Score:
    It'll be more like Hermione/Pansy

e: Also Fleur yeah, though honestly I read more f/f fics in other fandoms like Rwby

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree with you, though perhaps the difference here arose from a different application of terms. What you descried here is what I meant by "romance". The very word exists to describe the genre so that we don't have to rattle of the entire litany of what a quality romance story entails, the term is supposed to convey all that.

Fanfic romance tends to be one-note fluffy stuff with no exploration of the aspects of romantic relationships that aren't the honeymoon phase. In fanfic, the OTP falls in love quickly and they stay perfectly in love. And because there's no other sources of conflict, you have defeating Voldemort through the power of luurrv because when Harry nuts, Voldemort's horcruxes burst from the purity of teenage romance.

Like you, I don't look for pairing tags when looking for reading material and given the nature of the fandom in general, looking by pairing tag is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I thinkTo Know, To Feel, To Love is pretty popular for femmeslash fans. I found it decent when it was recommended to me. Haven't read a lot else of the genre though, but there has to be a pretty sizable chunk out there somewhere. I mean, people write Draco!Hermione and Snape!Harry, normal lesbian fiction should be far more popular than those buckets of fuck.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well. Now I have. Can't say it appears to be a good thing, but thanks?

16. Hymnsicality

Lol this makes me think of a Hermione that's actually just Draco in disguise, and a Harry that's actually just Snape in disguise.
    Could make for an interesting story, that.

I wouldn't mind Draco/Hermione that much if he wasn't always just given a personality transplant to make it work.

17. Archinist

XD

This is just me ranting, but what I hate more than the slash, guy or girl, is gender-bending. Fuck.

There are so many Harry/Rhaegar stories on FFN I feel like stabbing my eyes out every time I tread the wastelands.

(Not the story. The site).

Not meant to bash on Taure, Victoria Potter's a good fic, I just hate it when a character is gender-bent for a pairing.

18. Majube

High Score:
    If you want, I can link you some polyjuice romance fics...

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Also worth pointing out that most of the potential m/m pairings in HP - assuming you're looking for Harry to be involved - require either a) lots of work to flesh out a minor character (Seamus, Dean, etc), b) explaining why Harry is willing to date an enemy (Draco), c) dealing with the other partner(s) being significantly older than him/in a position of authority over him/both, d) some combination of the options or e) Ron, who, as we have several threads to attest, isn't the most popular option.

20. Archinist

Now my brain's trickling out my ears, thanks.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also the fact he doesn't show an inkling of being homosexual in the books. But slash is usually changing an inherent thing about the character (i.e., their sexuality) just for a pairing. I really don't like that, personally.