1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Survey 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Mestre

Mestre Professor

That is not how that works. The USA leads the World so everything that can destabilize our current world order(the USA´s/neo-liberal world order) is the threat. You don´t simply say that militarily is the greatest threat to his own country.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    the USA leading the world does not necessarily mean peace and prosperity which is what the question asked.

3. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Two things:

1. Surprised there aren't more Russia haters out there. And what's this horseshit about the USA being the greatest threat to the global order?

2. Which one of you said climate change isn't real? Really?

4. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

It's my last year in the '23-30' age bracket. :-(

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We're also the greatest supporter. If we stopped supporting it, it'd collapse. Thus, a threat.

6. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Chamber of Secrets doesn't get nearly enough love around here.

7. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I was torn between Russia and China. Russia has seemingly been more active in tampering with democracy abroad, but civil liberties in China are a true nightmare; so I went with China.

8. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Given the responses to the "Depiction of technology being able to overcome or circumvent magic" question, I'm pretty sure everyone just had different nitpicks to the nuclear bomb question. "Well-cast" was mine - I'd say a perfect one could protect against any arbitrarily large force/threat, but I don't think well-cast was a strong enough descriptor.

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Same. Sucks to be getting old.

And I have to call out whoever the fuck says that video games and merch are canon? What the fuck? Everything else I can at least kind of see an argument for. But video games and merch?

10. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's not how threats work.
    --- Post automerged ---
    More importantly, who said the books weren't canon?

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't done the survey yet but I just wanted to express disappointment at people who still think the Shield Charm is like a depletable shield from Mass Effect.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think the idea that a shield charm can protect oneself from a nuclear bomb is just plain stupid sounding.

Yes, that idea can be defended using canon. I admit that. I get why some people like the idea.

But it's dumb imo.

13. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I mean, the Idea that anybody would use a nuclear bomb at all against a wizard sounds pretty stupid.

14. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I think there's a certain group of people who think any books beyond a certain point aren't canon, or that none of them are canon and only the universe is or something weird like that.

Very stange interpretation, that.

15. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think the wiki has a ton of spells and lore tidbits that are from the videogames (don't know about merch). I didn't vote for the videogames myself, but I can see why people use them in world-building for fanfics. I was mostly not surprised by the results. It seems like the shield charm thing is a controversial/divisive subject, but I understood there were discussions about different variants of the shield charm for different circumstances; there wasn't a single shield charm that blocked everything.

16. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Knowing Taure, what his question on shield charm is asking does magic trump muggles?

So if we assume that Dumbledore (or Voldemort, or some other top-tier wizard) has to cast a shield charm to protect himself from a nuclear bomb, does he succeed or not? Idk about you guys, but you can't simultaneously hold the belief that magic > muggles, but also go nukes > perfectly cast shield charm. Even if you want to reduce it to a "rationalist" argument (kill yourselves), the amount of power wizards need to do some of the shit they do (teleportation, transfiguration) is several orders greater than the force of a nuke.

I also see no point in arguing it protects from the blast, but not from radiation. If a particularly sheltered wizard who's never seen a gun before gets shot by it, is his shield charm unable to protect because he doesn't know what a gun is? We have no evidence from canon that understanding of the mundane is necessary for spells to function, so arguing wizards don't know about radiation so they can't defend from it is non-sensical.

17. daniel98

daniel98 First Year

The amount of power wizards need to do the shit they do (teleportation, transfiguration) does not directly dump all that energy full force into a shield charm. Nukes are kinda more direct applications of force than those examples you've listed. Sheltered wizards might have not seen guns, but they can understand the general concept of "thing going fast into me wounds me". They can feel themselves experiencing it, they can imagine it, they can see it, touch, ect ect. Radiation is fundamentally different in that you can't sense it or experience it in anyway until it's already damaged you. I like the idea of magic working on full immunity basis, but that this one spell (properly cast, whatever that means) does literally every thing? Bit far for my tastes, but then again this is all arbitrary fiction.

18. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just can't wrap my head around accepting the intensity of a nuke is able to be defeated by a shield charm. It's weird, but it is what it is. The order of magnitude is just too high to suspend my disbelief.

19. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This.

That and is the shield charm all-encompassing? You would need to have it completely surrounding you or else you will get hit and die.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FB2 --written by JKR, she's involved in production, so I take it as canon even if I don't like the film -- the Auror guy hunting Credence uses what looks like a bubble Shield Charm and tanks Credence's emo-tantrum like a boss.

It's pretty simple to me. If magic is not exhaustible (which from canon we know it's not, there's no mana, the Shield Charm doesn't have X durability before it breaks) then it doesn't matter if the force it stops is a thrown pebble or a nuclear blastwave.

What's so special about nukes anyway, besides radiation? Yes, radiation is a big part of it, but the immediate damage is caused by a huge explosion and explosions in atmosphere are devastating because they move stuff by pushing air and burning things. The difference between a nuke and a conventional explosion of equal yield is the radiation. I might be convinced that radiation would be trickier to deal with for wizards, but a perfectly cast Shield Charm in my understanding of HP magic would tank a nuclear blast just as it woudld a firecracker.

In the same vein, a perfectly cast Flame-Freezing Charm will protect you equally well from burning at the stake as it will from a nuclear blast or floating next to the Sun.