1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP's History

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eXcalite, Aug 30, 2008.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Oh man:

I was awesome.

To which Chuck responded:

The Support this site Gay moment

Rofl.

Vash's Resignation Thread

Edit #1: Xion is an Admin Thread

Edit #2: Jon gets a girlfriend

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Dev/12/f (IRC)

What else...

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd forgotten about that. That was epic =P

Yeah, that was fun, and it kinda started the Middy the hardass persona. Got to vent quite abit on that fucktard, was awesome practice for when I finally threw out Damian unless my timelines are fucked.

I wish I gave a shit enough to do book 7.
    I still don't see why you guys hated on her so hard. I saw some nudes, she wasn't totally bad, just emo and fucked in the head.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    While not on par with most of the other events, maybe a footnote mentioning Methene's thread championing Harry/Fleur? It's a source of much traffic to the site, based on numerous comments made in the Introduction threads, and an aspect of the DLP identity now.

5. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'm tingling inside. :)

But we're missing another important figure in DLP history - bornagainpenguin. To those who don't know him, he comes around every 12 months, archives all our stories, then disappears off the face of the earth till next year.

I also remember another member - something turtle, but I can't think of his full name or why he was important. Ideas?

6. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Feartheturtle. I wasn't around for him but I believe he was the 'guest' that Mid ripped into.

I'm not sure what else it notable. Maybe when bloodlust and anna stopped posting.

7. Midknight

He was an admin when the site started. Spelled like a blind 3 year old with nubs for hands. He was kicked out for being worthless, then suddenly someone who typed very much like him showed up ranting at me.

The whole irc on Rob's server is notable as well, that was a giant clusterfuck.

8. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

HEUR was a phenomenon before Methene on DLP. It had waned somewhat because of lack of quality but yeah the cause had been much championed before this latest struggle. So credit given where its due to reignite it but its an old Corvette with a new wax job.

Edit, it had its on irc channel for a long time too.

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

feartheturtle was before my time, but he's often remembered fondly. With the almost as much warmth and love as Vorlon.

But there's an ugly stepchild locked in the basement we all seem to frequently forget. Way before the PP3 mess, way before Potter Law, way way back before BioPlague had cemented his status as the one willing to take things way too far (and often way too reluctantly hilarious), he was just a perfectly content and common DLP member.

And he, along with ip82, Master Slytherin, and myself, we all made up the name Fanfiction Writers' Guild, sponsoring a "Horcrux Summer Challenge" with supposed cash prizes. (I'm just remembering the four of us, but I feel like there's a fifth I'm forgetting... Sree maybe? Fuck. I really can't remember.) This was after HBP came out, sucked, and everybody feared such a shitty book would kill fanfiction and we wanted to see some people write good post-HBP fic.

Considering it's the ugly stepchild in the basement, some of you may remember how balls up it all went. The drama between the four of us turned into a 'very special episode' of Blossom but most of that stayed hidden behind closed doors.

Only two fics really even attempted to enter, but easily the bright spot was Taliath's attempt, "In Light of Silver Memories." Still a great fic I want more of.

But none of the fics were finished, none of the "judges" bothered to formally review, and no one was paying much attention anyway. So the forums were just collecting dust, unnoticed here on DLP until finally they were deleted, and the whole failed thing was swept under the rub and never mentioned again.

I'm sure others may remember it differently, but I think this was one of those earlier times where the seeds of future DLP in-fighting were planted. May have even helped precipitate the dark transformation where Merrill disappeared and the dark lord BioPlague was born.

Before PP3, or irc-holes, or "hardcore" old school DLPers versus the pussies, or RC, or the second annual awards, or the jbern-bashers and jbern-lovers (or should I say luvrs) flame wars, or what have you. In my eyes, this was the first time I really saw the politics, the whining, the anger behind the flames, and a genuinely less than unified DLP forum.

I'm not going to even try to blame the failure of the Fanfiction Writers' Guild or FWG on any of the four (or five) of us more than any other, but no DLP history would be complete without a mention of it.

10. BioPlague

I was debating on mentioning it but I try to forget it. Sigh. I thought it was a great idea! Alas, twas not to be.

And In Light of Silver Memories was awesome. And it was Sree but he never got interested.

Most of my positive ideas go balls up.

11. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

And let's not forget the glorious days of reputation, negrepping, and repwhoring.

12. BioPlague

I still honor my #1 rank in reputation ;). It was a fight betwixt Jon and I, with Midknight giving himself rep every once in a while to keep up ^_^.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're gonna bring rep into this you've got to mention Kai Shek and his daily negreps :p.

14. Midknight

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Slightly late question... who was Cady C? she doesn't seem to be on the member list even as a banned account.

And what did she do?

16. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Didn't really hate her, just thought it was hilarious. I gave Spacks more shit for that phone call he got from her. I still remind him about it from time to time.

Also, forgot about Slytherin Damien and his 9/11 thread. I think if he made that thread today, we wouldn't even care.
    Heur was created by Xiph0 and DGD, with myself having a minor hand in it. It was just before we were moved from Sci-fi - our original IRC server - over to BBA. Sci-fi went down and we all gathered on another random server while it was down. It came back up so DLP had a chatroom on two servers, with myself, Xiph and DGD being on Sci-fi, everyone else on the other server.

Me and Vash were planning Lily White at the time - which we have logs of - when DGD and Xiph0 started joining the other chatroom, randomly screaming HEUR and disconnecting.

Funny how things catch on.

18. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

You know during the first rep days I think it was The Illusive One or TIO who was the whipping boy of the channel. Does anyone remember that?

He tried to be so hardcore and then after the PYP thing had Bloodlust in his sig which made me fuckin lol at his prepubescent puppy love on the nets. But yeah I think I have seen that kid in red for the longest time than anyone else during that time.

Syaoran~ Thanks for the backstory:D

19. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Oh God I remember SlytherinDamien, he was a twat if there ever was one.

I don't know if this counts as history but there was that period of a few months where absolutely everyone got into the Fate/Stay Night anime. The Number of sigs based on that show was incredible, somewhat on par to the number of Dresden sigs nowadays.

20. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

PYP.

DLP Mega Mix.

Legion and his sister.