1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP's History

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eXcalite, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Haha, OH LAWD!

2. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

The early days... when Zev posted daily, before DLP had its own identity. Main posters were Midknight, Mordecai (RIP), and Margarita (? lol). There were several Charlie's hanging around, and Vash spelled like a house-elf on meth. The member list was less than 100, and I was a newbie of all newbies. DLP started out reeeeeal small.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since when am I RIPing? And was I ever a main poster? I used to post much more often that I do now, but did I post that much?

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

He is not talking about you.

There was another Mordecai, who did pass away and later his brother joined the site under his name.

5. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Mordecai365 I believe was his name.

6. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

One minor event that might deserve mentioning is the introduction of the google ads which Linked eventually spammed and generally fucked DLP over. I think after he got bitched at he definitely became a lot less active member.

7. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There was a couple months worth of Scotland vs US debates. Nothing major but it would probably deserve a not in DLP's history.

While I know Vash's resignation was brought up I didn't see anything about Mid's, or the fact that he got about 300 pm's begging him not to leave.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wash; It was Dwitbal that started the Bring Back Vash thread.

9. Nuhuh

I agree it should not be mentioned, the less said the better. :)

Ah well I guess I just remembered the loudest and most persistent of the voices: Happy Friendly Merrillaise dominates that time in my mind. Kudo to Dwitty-Chu then.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah let's not go deep in the Vashgate drama please. Some folks got uppity, drama ensued, we found out how hardcore our users are in love with the site. That's enough.

Now if I could convince any of you folks who actually sent me cash via paypal to start a new board to donate HERE, hint hint, poor Raven's wallet wouldn't be getting raped. Drama's over guys, all is forgiven, here is still home, show some donation love prz.

Stained Future and the DLP emoticons made by DGD. Vorlon going off on Raven, when he really meant me, and me asking him, "Dude.. you mean me, not him" was epic win. The guy sent me a few PMs on ff.net before I dropped my account right after it bitching.
    :stained:vorlon:office:nazi:fear:hbp

Me getting tired of 393273280732 fic cats with shit like Severitus, and reorganizing everything.
    Me axing Sick and Perverse, creating Mature Discussion, Politics, Real Life Discu, Video Games, etc.
    Me going into rage and locking down the library and making For Review

Gio coming out bisexual when he found himself (able to never get drafted by kissing a dude randomly here and there)
    Gio overdoing the gay thing in nearly every post.
    Gio going back to acting normal and making long winded politics post.

Basically any new member should just read The Hall of Shame forum, and sit back and laugh.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'm a bit skeptical of this one considering I have no clue what you're talking about. And a search on "scotland" returned 188 threads, none of which looked relevant or had a surprising amount of traffic to make me think they were something historic.

I think people may be assuming every popular and active thread deserves a spot in the annals of DLP history when the forum's history is often but not necessarily coinciding with some popular threads. We don't need to specifically mention every thread with a thousand responses, or 100,000 hits.

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They were quite funny, thinking back on them. But yeah, probably best that they rest and be forgotten, or some n00b will decide to necro one of them.

The seemingly endless threads of Wizards vs Muggles in various forms also stick in the mind, I can't remember how many there actually were but I do recall that the discussion derailed several other threads.

Memories are now coming back, if I remember correctly the first US vs UK thread (which it was, the arguement became US vs Scotland later, then Me vs the US later again) was started by LINKed_up. Something about him and a friend discussing what the US wizarding world would be like on their way home from school and they'd managed to come to the conclusion that it would be wonderful because it would follow the constitution so everything would be fair and good, the President would be incharge, so everything would be ok, there would be much less separation from the muggles, including if I remember correctly the fact that muggle sciences would be taught in magic schools.

Ah, that was a fun thread :)

13. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I carried the torch and was the most annoying....

Remember our love spat, Midknight? ^_^.

I think it should be mentioned, that if you ever get a forum PM from Zev, it will involve the Asgard (SP?) and aliens. Just a FYI since he on occasion dabbles in the affairs of us mere mortals.

Also: Can't forget the evolution of Cupdentard, the witch hunt's during the time and the general lulz that ensued when he forgot to proxy his IRC and logged on w/o one and got ferreted out.

14. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Hmm.

Basically, the way I see it. I'm the most important member of DLP. Whenever I disappear, all the shit hits the fan. See PP3, the whole Yarrgh fiasco, all the jbern shit, the DLP vs. RC one-sided fights (except for the last one), blah-de-blah-de-blah. I wasn't here for any of it. You can thank me for the recent bout of stability in DLP.

:D

But Merrill. He's the opposite. Whenever he's around, rocks fall. Stupid cunt. :p

Umm, but yeah. Cupentard was a pretty huge deal. (Tridentwatch/Cupspeaker/standard for those wondering) The Horcrux challenge was not very good, but I had a good shot at second place had I actually finished the story. I guess the brief period where the-caitiff was everyone's favorite writer deserves a mention.

Cool thread idea, though.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Almost forgot, the epic love story of Gio, World and Gio's basement. That was highly amusing :p.

16. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

If people are serious about a DLP history some of the older members should probably sort out a timeline for all this and then sticky it. Because it can get really confusing for us poor new people when they bring up things from way back then.
    And there are also some issues or people, (such as tridantwatch) who should be immortalized as a warning to new members.

17. Nuhuh

And yet another n00blet cries "Give us our past, elders! Why do you curse us to dodder in ignorance?"

And yet again the silence stretches from Olympus, like it has many times before, until like a sigh upon the wind there is an answer, "Can't be fucked, use the search button."

:D

Nothing personal Sorrows, it just amused me. You're not really a n00blet.

18. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

*blinks*

Naa thats not it, you all just enjoy us poor newbs make the same mistakes over and over again, a history or an unspoken DLP rules sticky would stop you luz.

I'm on to you :ph34r:

Edit: someone accidentally necroed Xiph0s intro thread and it seems Amerision first suggested a history and Midknight backed it.

and

The idea really has been kicking around a while.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  19. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Reputation was awesome. I was like 5th or something.

Reason was because with Jon and Bio's fight to be #1 they would rep other high rep people to get reps back.

Yes, the truth comes out. Jon and Bio weren't #1-2 because of their amazing posts.

The people with legit high rep were Giovanni and Xiph iirc. Maybe a couple others that I'm forgetting.

And me of course.

Also~I never saw Mids reps at lower then 20 o_O all admins had 20 rep power at all times...

I remember getting admin negged a few times.

20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Funny Darius, and here I was thinking it was because of my contributions to the forum in general.

-points at the signature thread.-

Merrill got his rep for posting outrageous crap that had the lower members screaming for him to drop the bomb. They were retarded like that. :p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008