1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Wizards by Corwalch - G+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by nonjon, May 26, 2006.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

How can the next chapter be it?

We have to deal with Ginny's monomania and lies, spank AD personally (as opposed to punishing him through his minions,) explain *plenty* about the Dante persona (including where he got the alternate wand, or how Harry managed to disguise his staff,) have an intense discussion with the Twins, justify his Time Turner...

It's been implied that The Power He Knows Not is what Harry used to kill Voldemort, and also kept Harry semi-sane in Azkaban. That needs SOME sort of telling.

And *I* would appreciate an epilogue of sufficient length to make me feel that Harry is The Winner at the rest of his life.

2. mikeuni

mikeuni Squib

I agree with banner on what needs to be in the last chapter. I do not see how the author will do this in one chapter and give satisfactory conclusions. But I am still hope full that it will be good.

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I finally got around to reading the newest chapter for this one, and it was pretty much a disappointment. I don't see how the author can wrap the differing perspectives up in satisfactory manner, either, but I'm looking forward to the attempt, anyways.

4. mikeuni

mikeuni Squib

This story is now finished. I think he rushed the conclusion of this story and we did not get any answers to the creation of Dantes or the plans beyond Hogwarts. I did like how he dealt with Dumbledore, it showed that Harry was not as closed off. The way he deals with the baby is very good. The story was good overall but only a 4/5.

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

It took me a while to figure out about the baby, and there was a lot that was never explained about Dantes, time travel, and The Power. That said, it was fun to see Ginny and Molly spanked. I really enjoyed the Ginny-bashing. I might go back and reread that part.
    I got an update for Chapter 1 after the conclusion, so maybe the author rewrote it with more explanations. I had wanted a long epilogue, with a finally happy Harry.

6. Khortez

Khortez Third Year

How did Ginny get pregnant again? In a previous chapter that author made it sound like Ginny slept with someone before being kicked out, yet near the end all they talk about is a potion.

Was it polyjuice? Wouldn't whoever's spunk in her have reverted or something after the time limit?

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As I understood it, there was no sex involved. She took a potion which, combined with some of Harry's hair to provide DNA, led to her being pregnant with Harry's child.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you actually read the fucking story?

It was a rather prominent part.

She took a potion that only needed a piece of Harry's hair, that would make her pregnant with his baby.

Edit: Mordecai, spoiler warning man.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  9. MonCappy

MonCappy Fifth Year

I was rather dissatisfied with the way she was dealt with. I still think she should have been executed with extreme prejudice.

10. Khortez

Khortez Third Year

I read the story which was why I was confused. In one chapter she goes from being seemingly sexed up, to using a potion in the next one.

11. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Absolutely awful. One of the worst fics I have found in DLP's Library. Does not deserve to be in said Library.

1/5

12. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

It had promise, then somehow lost it along the way.

I think the author had everything worked out in his/her head, then promptly forgot to clue the rest of us in on it as the story started drawing to a close. If you can really call that a "close". There's ending on a cliffhanger, and then there's... whatever that was.

2/5 from me, for showing promise in its early stages and then failing miserably to live up to it.

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The premise, a glorified bashing session, is suspect already. Corwalch at least partially misunderstood his audience -people who simply want to vicariously feel self-righteous through Harry. To make the punishments so tame and deliver them so underwhelming a manner is really not an option plotwise from the author's point of view.

2/5 because the writing wasn't all that bad.

14. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    For kicks, I read the last several chapters of this story, one which I'd started long ago. I've rarely read to the end of an Azkaban story and found myself wishing for Harry to get locked up again. Story in a nutshell: "Once upon a time, Harry was locked up. Then, he was released. Harry was a god, but he was also very angry. Harry went to Hogwarts and took out his revenge on everyone. Then he lived unhappily ever after because he was an asshole. The end."

It was a factor of ten too long and shows why Azkaban stories were a flash in the fanfiction pan: either Harry forgives, in which case he's a wimp and not likable, or, as in this story, he doesn't, in which case he's a prick and not likable. Either way, he's not much fun to read about.

If Tinn Tam can give BajaB a 2/5 for a story that annoyed the tinkle out of her, then I can give this piece a 3/5 (on mechanics alone). I doubt I'll read another Azkaban fic.

15. Karas

Karas Squib

I'd read the bulk of this story a long time ago, before he posted these last chapters. I was glad to finally get this half-finished story out of my system.

I feel that the ending was rushed, possibly because it had sat unfinished for so long. I think the end just feels hurried compared to the rest. The plot doesn't seem as well fleshed out, kinda felt like a PowerPoint presentation of the ending. If you like Harry being pissed all the time and Azkaban stories I give it 4/5. Rated generally, I'd only give it 3. I think it's still a good read, and at least now its finished.

Cheers

16. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Eh - it was better than most azkaban fics - but became repetitive. I really expected a more complex plotline with Dante and with Dumbledore needing Harry to save the wizarding world, but eventually he ruined the story and really rushed to end it.

This way it is at least finished and not abandoned, but I believe the author just wanted to get rid of it.

17. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Isn't this an old fic and one he's just reposting though
    Edit: Yes yes it is, if you want to read the whole thing he has it on a yahoo group

18. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

o_O ... You fail at reading.

Yeah, we know that the fic is finished. He posted the last chapter almost two months ago. And we know that it is an "old" fic - he started it more than four years ago.

And he didn't repost it. He just took his time to finish it.

19. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

No he 'recently' (as in in January) reposted it on FF.net is what I meant.

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

The author yanked ALL his WIP fics from ff.net years ago and now only puts them on ff.net once they're finished. Supposedly. From his ff.net user page:
    HP Fandom is where most of us read this while it was in progress. And now with this thing finished, I'm inclined to change my vote to a 3/5. Early on the consistently angry and ranting attitude was enjoyable. A guilty pleasure to read of a sort. But as a completed fic, the pretty uninspired plot and rush to a conclusion falls short of excellence.

Kudos and bonus points for finishing a fic, but the story as a whole is pretty average. 3/5 territory, but I want to give it a bonus half point for actually being finished. Still doesn't quite feel up to a 4/5 standard so I'm on the fence between 3 and 4. This can be an enjoyable way to pass the time. But it's not required reading or greatness here.