1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have fanfic red lines?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. Basically, if an author sucks at writing children, or only cares out their preferred pairing, they eschew everything else including character development to get to that point, and if that means changing the year Hogwarts starts, then they'll do it. So it's a hard pass from me.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Hey Experincedgamer, I present to you Full Circle a Harry/Voldemort soulbond slash fic that is pretty damn funny and worth a read.

Child/teen adult pairings as presented as romantic are always a big no from me. If your desperate to ship these two charecters together at least wait till both are adults. Then the age gap can be merely uncomfortable instead of criminal.

Recently found out that mpreg fanfiction birthed a whole genre of original fiction. You probably don't want to look it up.

Self insert/OC main characters. I'll tolerate a side charecter or two but I've no interest in them.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I will stop reading a story if Harry begins negatively comparing wizards to muggles as if the muggles have achieved enlightenment and utopia where there’s no racism, bigotry and inequality or that technology is superior to magic.

5. Mestre

Mestre Professor

I will not even open a fic if the summary includes "abuse", "revenge", "I suck a summarys lul", "own way" and "Starfox"

6. AutumnSouls

AutumnSouls Squib

This is one of my red lines too. I've seen writers (and people in general) act like magical Britain's corruption is beyond anything we've seen in the real world. Must be a colossal rock they live under.

7. entropy843

entropy843 First Year

I do hate "abuse" with a passion.
    I understand abuse is an issue that should be taken seriously in real world,but I just can't stomach any more of those abuse/healing/comfort/angst fics. They just get on my nerve. Well,I sometimes suspect that an abused Harry is actually another variation of Sue. Perhaps gimp Sue minus the physical disabilities part.

As for Harry/Voldemort, I don't think it's a slash pairing in real world sense like Sirius/Lupin or other much more normal and less disturbing nonslash pairings. Most of the relatively well-written ones portray the relationship under very extreme and unrealistic circumstances,because it's the only way it might work.Some of those fics are filled with gaslighting,sexual abuse,psychological manipulation,stockholm syndrome and etc.Somehow I find it less disturbing and more fun than Harry/Draco or Harry/Snape.I don't know why. I don't think I am a pervert.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I mean, theoretically Mpreg would be fine as a writing device in a magical setting. If people can turn into animals with transfiguration magic, they can probably do some kind of magical thing to let a guy get pregnant.

However: Pregnancy drama is hard to get right in terms of portraying it properly and making the story entertaining to read. I can't really recall any stories that did a great job with it. Mpreg adds a whole raft of additional complications. While I think it's possible to do a good Mpreg story, I've never seen it happen and am not inclined to dive into that particular subgenre to try and find a diamond in the rough.

Honestly, most writers are probably better off just skipping over pregnancy drama of any sort in HP, considering the protagonists are all teenager. I think regardless of whether your pairing is straight or not, Harry having kids is best left to the "And they all lived happily ever after" epilogue.

Actually, pondering on that I think I could add romanticized depictions of teen parenthood to my list of red lines. 15 year old Harry should not be giddily excited about becoming a father.

9. ExperiencedGamer

ExperiencedGamer Fourth Year

I've read Full Circle, strangely enough - it didn't give me the usual vibes that pretty much every other story with a Tom Riddle pairing gives. Little age difference due to the rebirth/time-travel aspect, a Tom Riddle who is sane and so on.

'Own way'? What about 'take the world by storm'?

As for me, Naruto being the 'Silver Fox', whatever that means, and Harry getting wandless powers by being put into Azkaban, somehow, are immediate no-nos.

Muggle wanking - Wizarding World bashing? Yeah, that crap is terrible. Mind you, Muggle bashing and Wizard wanking are just as terrible for very similar reasons. It's up (down) there for me, along with the use of recent real-world politics in a fic, especially if the writer has no idea about the politics in question... a lot of fanfic writers sidestep the issue neatly by using inexistent politicians in place of real ones.

1) So true... I have no idea where 'magical cores' came from, but it's definitely stupid.

2) Laughing as I'm typing this. Mindscapes are probably taken from Naruto and/or Bleach, but have no place in Occlumency.

3)Ugh... there are few things worse than those.

4)Actually, if Tom Riddle could, someone with comparable talent to his probably could as well. Edit: mind you, I mean in the limited way that Tom Riddle did, not being able to do everything one can do with a wand without one.

5)LOL

6)So other kinds of swords are fine? Why katanas in particular?

7)That goes hand-in-hand with muggle-wank, so agreed

8)Needs no comment

9)(Shrugs) Don't much mind that, especially in smutfics :p

10)This. So much this. 'The smartest witch of her generation'.... Well, I'd say that if we remove the movies/films from the equation, she is easily above average in intelligence, but nowhere approaching Tom Riddle or Dumbledore, even Snape... and I'd say, arguably, that James and even Sirius were smarter than her at the same age. Even morally, Hermione is not as great as she is often portrayed in fanfics. She is less righteous and more self-righteous. (See: setting those birds on Ron, scarring the backstabbing bitch and so on.)

Harry has a directly scary and off-putting hot temper, but Hermione's anger is more of the cold variety - she doesn't get mad, she gets even and then some. Ron has the most even temper of the three of them by far. (Oh, if only the films hadn't ruined Ron's and Hermione's character...)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  10. Sorrows

The moment Harry gets a katana is the moment you realise you are in for some japanwanking anime bullshit. Expect a appearance from Sue Li (though strangly enough not Cho Chang) to teach Harry the Mysteries of the Orient.

Logically a sword is a sword, however this particular fanfiction rule is absolutely inevitable.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

12. Sorrows

The fact that man was a doctor before chucking it in to go be a beloved madman in Hollywood always makes his stuff all the sweeter to me.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Removing wands in crossovers.

For example if Harry is transported to another universe like Westeros or Middle Earth.

14. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Well, Gryffindor's sword is fine, of course. Honestly I'm surprised I can't think of any stories where Harry regularly fights with that thing off the top of my head.

15. ExperiencedGamer

What about stories (crossovers) where Harry has to learn how to make a wand on his own, but it takes him a while to think of it and even longer to actually make a functioning wand? I think I've seen something like that somewhere, but not sure.

Does Harry know how to make a wand or learn on his own in a (decent quality) fic?

Now that I think on it, I don't think I've ever seen a story where Harry controls the Sword of Gryffindor with a 'Wingardium Leviosa' or Banishing Charm ('Depulso'?) (no Basilisk bite that way!), so I might well implement it in a fic, as long as I get off my arse for long enough.

16. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I mean there is Harry Crow, where he get it after being chosen as champion of Hogwarts and he even uses it to cast spells after using it to destoy the Elder Wand in Dumbledore's hand and absorbs it power.

17. ExperiencedGamer

I haven't read Harry Crow, and after what you just said, I doubt I ever will... or is it better than it sounds?

18. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Not really, its like a typical Robst fic where Super Harry and Super Hermione solve all their problems without much effort, with a unhealthy amount of wizard bashing, Dumbledore bashing, Ron bashing, muggle wank and in this case Goblin wank. It's also has over twenty five thousands favourites on fanfiction.net

Its one of the most cliche fics you could image. Looking back it was that fic which took me out of the early phase most fanfic readers have where you have no taste and read pretty much everything.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  19. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

No, aAlouda covered it very nicely. As much as it pains me to say it, it's probably even worse than Methods of Rationality. It's the OED definition of bashing, if there were such a thing, and it's just an utter wank in every worst way.

Sucks, because it's a cool premise too. The muse for it just got left in the hands of the wrong author.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'd take years, but at least it would be something.

My main problem with these type of fics is: if you're gonna make a crossover with Potterverse Wizards, don't cripple them by removing their main abilities.