1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Slytherin was intended to represent everything that's "wrong"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThatGreekLady, May 5, 2016.

1. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    I agree these qualities aren't bad, but in the books they are and that's the point.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

BY WHOSE STANDARD

Hagrid's? Or maybe Ron's?

I dunno how I can make it more clear. If you ever see a sign in the books somewhere that says "objective judge" and has a Slytherin green arrow pointing to "bad", let me know.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    By the standards of society? Since when are bravery, intelligence and loyalty looked down on anyway?

4. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    But the books did paint the whole house as bad. There might be good aspects of being ambitious and cunning, but they're not explored.

I don't buy that it's "Harry's POV" either. "Harry's POV" shouldn't prevent us from seeing any good aspects of Slytherin, if they exist at all.

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Seems like the problem is you then.

6. Sesc

"The books" are narrated through the voices of people. So which people, then, paint the whole house as "bad"? Do we see Slytherins painting their house as "bad"?

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Death Eaters represent everything that's wrong. It just so happens that at the time of the HP books, Slytherin was infested with the children of Death Eaters. It had thus earned its "dark reputation" (JKR's words) but only relatively recently. It was a transitory thing caused by Voldemort and begins to diminish post war:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/7/30/j-k-rowling-web-chat-transcript

Furthermore, we know from the Pottermore section on the Malfoy family that, contrary to much fanon, "pure-bloodism" is a relatively recent political philosophy and had not been dominant or even strongly influential for most of wizarding Britain's history:

https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/the-malfoy-family

(Pure-blood ideology is obviously supposed to mirror the radicalism of Nazism, not the conservatism of classism. Muggleborns aren't the working class of the magical world, they're the Jews).

So the Death Eaters and their corrosive effect on Slytherin is not the historical norm.

(P.S. Isn't this exactly the same topic as the other thread?)

8. George

George First Year

I don't think these 'black and white' statements are true, but I think they are a lot closer to true than is realistic. I believe verisimilitude was sacrificed to plot and fancy in the details of the Houses.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's a pretty strong implication in OotP that Harry's Gryffindor bravery and courage and desire to help people pretty much directly lead to Sirius dying and his friends being badly injured. Plus, while it's not precisely House qualities being framed poorly, it's hard to frame Sirius trying to feed Snape to Lupin when they were at Hogwarts as anything positive.

10. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    Do you have any counterexamples from the books? If no then everything is your own headcanon.

11. Sesc

... what? No you don't get to flip questions. Answer this or consider your argument dead in the water and your opinion debunked. You are the one making assertions here.

12. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    No, we don't see Slytherins paint their own house as bad but this doesn't mean shit. The Nazis wouldn't paint themselves as bad either.

13. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I like the fact that TheGreekLady is just ignoring all the arguments that debunks her theory and picking up fight with Sesc across both threads.

14. Sesc

If you are now going to argue that opinions of Slytherins are biased and don't count, but Harry's (the narrator's) or Ron's or Hagrid's or Hermione's opinions aren't biased and do count, I give up.

That's a nice point on which to end the discussion, I guess.

Edit: Damnit, Godwin, I missed it. Yeah, I think the discussion is over.

15. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    My god what are the arguments? Slytherin symbolizes everything that is bad. Even the Slytherin founder was evil.

I didn't say every single Slytherin is bad. I said Slytherin as a whole symbolizes everything that is bad. It's a symbol of racism and racial genocide (and the founder in fact supported that genocide).

What good is there about Slytherin in the books? No , it's not Harry's POV, every single decent character says Slytherin is bad. Even Dumbledore implied Slytherin is bad when he told Snape "we sort too soon" like you can't do a half-decent thing if you're a SLytherin.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  16. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    ...I won't even dignify the first part with a response, but I seriously doubt that Dumbledore had that in mind when saying that they sort too soon. He was simply stating that bravery was, in his opinion, Snape's most defining trait in his adulthood.

17. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    I'm strongly inclined to agree with ScottPress. I think James Potter or even Dumbledore could have become Dark Lords (objectively speaking) by convincing the world that Slytherins were bad (like that one shot by ip82 I think). It just happened that Riddle was a Slytherin and a lot of his contemporaries gravitated towards his charisma.

The way I see it, the most powerful wizard (obj) would be from Slytherin, considering they're the ones who see things the least in Black and White and unlike Ravenclaws have a proclivity for field testing.

18. plutoplex

plutoplex Squib

I think Slytherin was initially supposed to represent everything bad, but JKR realized late in the series that it was problematic to have a "house for evil people." Thus, you get sleazy (but not evil) Slughorn and the redeemed (but dead and never seen even in pensieve flashbacks) Regulus, and the sudden "Draco loves his family and thus isn't just a spoiled brat" (he was a ridiculous caricature in the early books).

19. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I can't help but recall the bit in Chamber of Secrets where Dumbledore points out exactly how many Slytherin qualities Harry has, and all in a fairly complimentary way.

20. ThatGreekLady

High Score:
    And then he pointed that Harry chose NOT to be in Slytherin unlike Tom Riddle, making it sound like Slytherin is a bad choice.