1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragons of Ice and Fire by serpentguy - M - A Song of...

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones / ASoIaF' started by Invictus, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Diablo Snowblind

Diablo Snowblind Squib

What did you guys think about that epilogue?

2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Lady Stark ain't Lord Stark though. That was part of the animosity and fear she felt towards Jon; Ned raised him as a trueborn son. He was taught by the same maester and master at arms, andand the same lessons. A point is made of how Catelyn was bitter whenever Jon bested him in training AND classes.

This isn't ASOIAF Jon Snow, it's GOT Jon Snow, and I've made my peace with that. This is still a 3.5-4/5 story. And it's finished, which is pretty amazing.

3. Diablo Snowblind

Diablo Snowblind Squib

Definitely true that this Jon isn't, or wasn't, as competent as canon Jon. But that's largely, if not entirely, fixed by the story's end.

4. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I've been reluctant to give this a read.

A tagline of "Jon wakes an ice dragon" and "future Jon X Danny" was a premise that would require meticulous execution. Dragons are a weapon of mass destruction, and GoT is at its best when magic is relegated to sidelines, just enough to remain important, but not steal the show. Else, you start solving magic problems with magic and it becomes - not truly GoT.

I digress. I had doubts, I had fears and I went out to read a guilty pleasure story.

It is not such. It is good.

I am glad I've stumbled upon this story, for it has delivered a lot more than I expected and in clever ways, too. Yes, there's a drop too much magic, and all sides of the conflict have been given a dose of magic to help along, but it's handled reasonably well.

Jon seems to be given an overpowering weapon, yet things tend to go wrong, and like in asoif, the differance between ability to destroy and to conquer or rule is made very clear with the events as follow. Also, this is the first asoif story to play against the trope of "introducing a service for people where everyone can become part of it, even wildlings and commoners" and it being way more successful than it should be. Jon makes judgmental mistakes, gets into trouble because he doesn't follow the traditional paths.

Roose Boltom makes a plan that is too well executed, but it remains, barely, within the realm of possibility.

In later chapters, I enjoy the character of Howland Reed, from the way he considers Jon before revealing the secret to his behavior overall.

4/5, would read more and again.

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Great story. Very creative, though I'll agree with the critique that the Others being childish is one of my least favorite things about the fic.

The rising of magic is done reasonably well.

However I think Euron Greyjoy is just over-the-top evil. He's literally a cartoon villain. Why doesn't he have a mutiny every other day? Giving him glass candles that can supposedly see conspiracies against him is a dumb explanation. Makes magic too powerful.

The kraken story line is creative. But I can't get over how stupidly evil Euron is. To be fair, he's like that in the books too .

The whole Others raising fish storyline also rubs me the wrong way. Makes them too OP. If they can go through the water they've already won.

Still, maybe the best ASOFAI I've read.

5/5

6. Padishah Emperor

Padishah Emperor First Year

For those hoping Serpentguy was going to continue this, he's just revealed in the comments for the last chapter that the fic is now officially abandoned. Pretty much another hammer blow for me as an ASOIAF fan, given the awful last season of the show.

7. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Damn. That really sucks. Has he posted his plans for it anywhere?

8. Padishah Emperor

He hasn't as of yet, though a couple of people asked him to after he made the announcement. Though there's a fair chance he won't, as he seems to be quitting fanfiction and fandom in general. If you're interested, here's what he said on A03 about his decision, as well as his thoughts on season 8 :

9. Donimo

Donimo Auror

That's unfortunate, but I didn't expect the story to continue. More disappointed his batman in Westeros story won't continue.

10. Padishah Emperor

So, Serpentguy has now put up an outline of what book 2 was going to involve, and has answered a few questions about a number of characters' fates. If people are interested, they can be found in the comments section for the story on A03.

11. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For those who don't feel like searching, here is what Serpentguy said:

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

So it only got worse. Impressive.

13. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Sad to hear it's abandoned. Interesting plot outline. Not a fan of the Dragon sacrifice idea or a treaty with the Others. I thought the story was hinting towards a real change in setting-- a 'breaking of the wheel' by actually defeating the Others, or something along those lines.

Also not a huge fan of how prominent magic had become in the story, but it was still among the top 3 or 4 ASOIAF stories out there.