1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Moridin, Jul 1, 2012.

1. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

At this point the story desperately need Naruto to come back so it can get moving again. I don't hate the current issue between the Naras twins but it needs something to actually happen to resolve it, even if it is just for now and it all blows up again later.

2. Teishou

Teishou Disappeared

High Score:
    Nah, I prefer this point of contention in the story. Action is fine and all, but moments like these are nice to read, too.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm enjoying the filler and I'm not in a hurry for Naruto to come back, but that said... the last three (?) chapters have been very internal. We're mostly in Shikako's head, with her worries, and her concerns, and her insecurities. And that's fine... but it's the sort of thing I'd expect to have a full chapter, plus maybe parts of another chapter or even two, but...

Three chapters without any real external movement is pushing it, I think. We started moving back towards action with this chapter, when Shikako started spending her nights in research, but I can see why some readers might feel things are dragging at the moment. There's not enough action (even unimportant action or events like going back to work) mixed in with Shikako's internal turmoil.

Looking forward to chapters moving on from here, since it seems like we're moving out of this funk even if the twins don't completely get their acts back together.

Still 5/5 from me though, and still Top3 Naruto fics. So there. :3

4. GodKiller999

GodKiller999 Squib

High Score:
    While the story is very good, the latest chapters have been a bit too slow and filled with drama for my liking.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    New chapter and I would love to see an interlude from the perspective of Kofuku-oba, just to see what she thinks of Shikako.

Btw, chapter also says this:

6. katreus

katreus First Year

Well, the logistics SNAFU that Shikako caused is paying unexpected dividends. I guess Shikako got what she wanted out of it.

An ability and complete willingness that other people recognize to cause problems unless her demands get satisfied.

I'm sure Kofuku-oba has some regret as to how the initial meetings went about because having to fight Shikako to get her to even show what new thing she's been developing is probably a pain.

The recycling chakra portion of the seal seems like a bigger advancement than Shikako realizes at the moment.

Nice to see Kiba and Shikako patch up their relationship a bit.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  7. Nemrut

High Score:
    Like, on some level, they must be ecstatic, the clan I mean. They got a potential S-class member, finally. And not only is she probably going to be strong, she is not merely another killer. She also invents new techniques in different fields, innovating them. Even Jiraya was impressed by her work on sealing and that is no mean feat.

So, yeah, there must be excitement and dread for Shikako.

8. katreus

katreus First Year

Silver Queen did an AMA on the DOS reddit.

There's some interesting info in there or just general stuff if you're curious about the author's views on DOS and other things.

9. Nemrut

High Score:
    Just read through it, was a fun one. Like the decision that the story won't really have any romance, at least involving Shikako. Feels right, especially with how Shikako was written so far.

So yeah, fun read but other than that, don't think we learned anything big.

10. George

George First Year

With it being an SI going through the stations of canon and the protagonist accumulating all manner of effective skills, this story is rather easy to dismiss. However, the focus of the story is on the downtime from missions and the emotional strife of being a ninja and knowing a potential future. Combined with respectable writing, it's a 5/5 for me.

11. Nemrut

High Score:
    New chapter.

I quite like the Kiba and Shikako dynamic. Chapter was decent but nothing really amazing, although her using her shadow form and Kiba's reaction to that were gold.

I am not familiar with the current arc, whether it was filler or something original.

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The subtle character growth (in strength here) continues through the timeskip arcs. Shikako, with the help of a chuunin (?) took down an ANBU squad with no casualties or collateral damage.

13. katreus

katreus First Year

Shikako is getting pretty good with her tools.

Shadow form + shadow stitch + chakra sense getting used all together is a deadly surprise. I really liked some of the creepy imagery in this fight: from tendrils spilling out from what would be a deadly wound to her reversing the tendrils through her own shadow torso to hit the guy behind her.

Shadow tendrils + barrier scrolls was something we've seen before but it looks like it's getting easier and faster for her to do as well.

Also, cool, subtle economic warfare! I have a soft spot for stories that actually realize this is a valid line of threat with accounting coming in handy.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  14. Boudicca

Boudicca Squib

I think its original. I looked over all the filler arcs, and unless I missed something, nothing like this happened in canon.

15. neongreenbeast

neongreenbeast Second Year

Self-inserts in general don't make much sense, but if you can get past the whole 'reincarnated for no good reason' bump, this fic is pretty enjoyable.

The OC isn't all-knowing, and the author doesn't make her invincible because of her knowledge of the future. Plus, the story keeps Naruto as one of the central characters, instead of sidelining him in favor of the OC. Without that the fic probably wouldn't have been as good.
    4/5 from me.

16. KingChaotic

KingChaotic Squib

High Score:
    The best SI story ive ever read hands down, the characterization is superb with a reasonable growth of the SI's power level (DBZ FTW) without being being unreasonable and not being a complete cannon rehash (including original arcs). Other then being a little slow paced which is just a pet peeve this story is overall, amazing.

Overall 4/5 (5/5 if i wasn't an asshole)

17. Sequoia

Sequoia Second Year

High Score:
    It's Updated,
    I love this story, but sometimes the slow pace can get to me. I'm glad these last few chapters are showing that things are starting to picking up again.
    Shikako has just taunted Murphy's law. I wonder if this is where Asuma was suppose to run into Hidan. If so, I feel bad for Kakashi. He got this mission to keep her OUT of trouble.

18. George

George First Year

I rather consider its pace among its strengths; its style would have to be totally different to alter the pace I think. Though admittedly it's a little inconsistent in what it does; just the nature of a story not planned out before the final draft is written, really, and of one done as a way to hone one's skill rather than as a wholly serious endeavor.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I also love this story... probably too much. Every time we have a long gap between updates I end up reading the update, then back reading a few chapters, then skipping around to my favorite bits and re-reading those, etc.

As for the upcoming arc, my own guess is:
    The filler arc with Sora. I remember something about him having a bit of the 9Tails chakra and a claw hand or something, but he was definitely at a Fire Temple.

Possible that this is Hidan. Possible that the author will work both in, given that the author foreshadowed some bounty hunter stuff already by giving that random OC due that coin one time and asking him to let her know if he came across information. Could be that he does while she's out and things could play that way.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Too early for Hidan, I think. This is all still timeskip.