1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Moridin, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Six Paths of Pain

Six Paths of Pain First Year

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Huh, I expected more of the Fire Temple but at the same time I don't mind moving on. I expect we'll see what she learned there in more detail as it comes up.

And I'm excited for some focus on Kakashi, especially given that this might tie nicely into canon that happened behind the scenes. And I like how the author writes him. So good all around.

Always thought it was a little bullshit that Kakashi 'found' his Mangekyo after the timeskip, when apparently he'd already had it previously. I think what we'll see happen here is that they find a way to fix some of the chakra drain which allows for him to experiment and discover the advanced form.

Whether or not they find whatever solution canon found (via Sakura) or not remains to be seen.

Gotta admit, I'm really into this. Personally in no rush for Naruto to come back, not when we are getting more original material this way.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I concur, really looking forward to the Kakashi stuff.

Also, Shikamaru seems to have acclimated to having no arm, guess we'll see more on that front as well.

4. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

5. Insignificature

Insignificature First Year

I'm a little disappointed that the author has decided to ignore the later stages of canon that came out after she started writing. It's not like I'm particularly attached to the fourth war, but I'm disappointed that we're never going to see the end of Shikako's knowledge. I was sort of looking forward to seeing Shikako react to some of the bullshit reveals that she had no clue about.

6. Nemrut

High Score:
    Are you kidding? I nearly popped a bottle of champaign when I read that DoS was going to ignore most of the godawful things that happen late in canon.

Maybe it will even skip the light bulb form and tsundere Kyuubi

7. Ched

I'm sort of the opposite, actually.

I also miss the days when Harry Potter fanfic authors had never heard of horcruxes, and to me this seems similar.

I'm glad we're following canon up through interesting things like zombie armies, but I'm glad that we're going to deviate into a planned original ending afterwards. I trust the author to have planned something out, and I'm curious to see it.

The end of Naruto canon didn't do a whole lot for me. I liked how powerful people were, and I liked Madara being behind things, but all in all I'll be just as happy to see something else happen instead.

As for Obito... well, there's something to be said for a childhood friend dying like that, having an impact on your life, and that... being that. I am 50/50 on Obito, but given that his sacrifice still had a major effect on Kakashi I don't mind having him actually be dead.

I guess for me it boils down to the fact that this author has put time and effort into crafting the story so I am willing to trust that the author has a decent ending planned. it's not like canon nailed the ending for me (though it did better than Harry Potter canon managed at least), so I don't feel cheated.

Edit: Though I admit I'd like to know exactly at which point canon stops to matter (as in chapter/episode)... knowing which things not to anticipate could avoid disappointments.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  8. Armok

Armok Muggle

Updated

Got to say, I like how they solved the problem.

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Fully canon-compatible, too.

Although it doesn't mention the blindness downside. Sure "eternal" is an upgrade, but it misses the reasoning behind *why* brothers were meant to kill each other.

10. Ched

That was one way I'd figured they might solve it...
    By activating the Mangekyo. After all, he had it after the time skip and not before, and here he is having a sharingan issue... always made sense that he'd come out of it with the Mangekyo, it was more a question of how the story would handle it.

I figured if they took this method it'd require... more than him just reading it. Like reading and understanding and remembering. Granted you could say that did happen and Shikako just didn't know it, because she's not in Kakashi's head, but as a reader it felt like he just... read it.

Despite activating the Mangekyo being how I'd hoped they'd handle it this still feels like a bit of a let down. Even one more paragraph to describe it or something? Dunno.
    Still I enjoyed the chapter. I like Sasuke in this fic for sure. I like how this chapter chose to handle things, it just... I didn't want it to drag out, but after the build up I guess I wanted a bit more payoff in terms of the solution.

Still love this story, 5/5. QQ haters. :3

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

CheddarTrek: I'd say how you feel is the flaw of the story structure at this point. In most stories, something like this would be a B plot, woven in as a strand between the meat and main thrust of the story. However, most of the B plots in DoS have been linear -- as in, 'here is an issue, here is its solution' right after one another with no time to breathe.

The linear structure of DoS is probably it's biggest issue. Remember when we were slogging through what felt like every single anime filler episode in order? It read like the author had a checklist and was ticking them off. No matter how interesting the contents of the fillers were, that tidy closed-box feeling got grating fast.

12. Ched

I don't think you're wrong, but I disagree that that is my particular problem.

Your use of "slogging" as a verb implies that you didn't enjoy going through all those arcs, and I really did. I really did. It makes sense for things like that to be linear because they were missions, and it gave us a chance to watch Shikako developing her skillset, grow/change, etc.

That feeling never got grating for me, not in this story.

You're not wrong, but... I don't think that's my particular problem in this case.

13. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

I'm still enjoying it, I just feel like a bunch of the recent chapters have 85% of the word count they should.

14. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Yes. There are lots of subplots that occur, they're good, but they feel very bare bones. This was an interesting way to resolve the MS issue but I continue to not be a fan of how strict experimentation seems to be regulated here-- the whole thing with Shikako's experimental seals getting her into trouble.

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    A thoroughly pleasant chapter. I continue to enjoy Shikako's relationships with various people, be it her sensei and team or the friends she made along the way, chief among them Ino. Those two really have a great dynamic.

16. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

Really fun chapter. Its nice to see just how 'powerful' she is getting. Shikako keeps getting better and better with her Shadow State. I wonder if she will eventually get to the point where she keeps her whole body in the jutsu at all times kind of like Suigetsu? Also has anyone else noticed the dates? If my math is even remotely accurate, there is still 2 years or so before Naruto returns. Yoshina got pregnant only a few months after Naruto left and she is about to deliver her baby, so about a year has passed. I am really curious what Silver has planned to fill that gap.

I am actually excited that Naruto is still so far away. I feel that the story didn't really get great until Naruto left and Shikako could come into her own without Naruto getting in her way as a character. So I am personally going to be sad when Naruto shows up again. I do assume that Shikako will be a jounin by that point.

Since Silver has acknowledged that the ending will not follow the canon, does anyone think that she will have war break out between the nations? I would enjoy it if she went that route.

17. Ched

I am also enjoying the "time skip" where we watch Shikako grow and have her own story slotted into the overall plot. I enjoyed the earlier parts with Naruto, and sometimes I miss him, but I'm also in no hurry for him to return.

Naruto was first to chunin. Shikako to special jonin. I expect Sasuke will be the first to full jonin, as he'll probably skip special jonin.

I expect for the gap we'll see more filler arcs and movies adapted to star Shikako instead of Naruto. It works for me because I'm not very familiar with the filler content to begin with, and Silver Queen seems to only take out the core bits of the filler anyway and make it fit. Rather the often stupid and shoehorned plots the actual filler had.

18. katreus

katreus First Year

So, given the coin notice...

Does the timing match up with the Fuu extraction? Are we about to see Fuu and Shikako vs. Hidan and Kakuzu?

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    It's really the little things that truly sell the story for me, above everything else. These nuggets og genuine interaction between Shikako and her friends and family is what really makes all that is happening around her plausible and worth reading. That silly mention of her throwing a beanie or something at Shikamaru in a moment of normalcy like this? Better character development and interaction than any monologue or saying how much the they love each other.

20. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Fu was potentially one of the two jinchuuriki who were extracted before Gaara (along with Han or Utakata) but I don't think Akatsuki starting capturing them until nearer the end of Naruto's two and a half year trip. I haven't kept track of how long it's been since Naruto left but I think it could be a bit too soon for that.

Or not. Supposedly they weren't mean to be capturing anyone until three years after the Sasuke Retrieval Mission but obviously started earlier than that in canon anyway.