1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden Casefiles #2

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Riley, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Dresden's Casefiles: The Warehouse Murders
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Over a speaker a distinctly creepy voice is heard chuckling. Static fills the room

"Welcome to my stage! Players of Chicago. You are now within my domain and none may leave until the game is won. What is the game you might ask? Why it's the game of Life, being broadcast TO THE WORLD!!" There is a pause. Then an exasperated sigh.

"No respect for my genius, none whatsoever I tell you."

The grouped members eye each other suspiciously. They are all clad in the same blank mask and the same orange androgynous bodysuit. One reaches up to remove the mask.

"Ah, don't do that! If you try to remove those masks, your faces will explode and no one will be able to save you." The hand lowers.

"Good, now your goal, should you choose to achieve it, is to unmask the three Red Court Vampires hidden amongst your midst by throwing them into... THE PIT OF DOOM!!!"

No sound is heard, not even crickets.

"Ok, it's really just a pit of spikes, but still, you'll die!" Maniacal laughter again.

"When the lights are on, you may argue amongst yourselves and try to guess. But the minute the lights go off, anyone who's not allowed to speak, will be blown up if they attempt to do so. You have been warned."

A moment's pause.

"Also, just something to keep in mind, the faster you find them, the faster you're free and a smaller number of you will die. Have fun and enjoy the game. The world will be watching."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Day One and Day Two will last 72 hours. Day Three, Four and Five will last 48 hours. Day Six and on will last 24 hours Nights will last 24 hours, but may end early if all actions are in.

2. Everyone has a Quicktopic. Do not copy/paste anything into the thread directly from your Quicktopic. You may ask me questions in them! I may not be able to answer them, but you can certainly ask. No Daychat!

3a. This is an Open Setup.

3b. Roles, alignment and character name will not be revealed upon death!

4. There will be no bastard modding. What you see is what you get.

5. Lynch Votes! Lynch votes in this open setup have two parts - Hard Lynch, and Soft Lynch. When someone reaches Hard Lynch, they die. THERE ARE NO DEADLINE VOTES. If a target is at Soft Lynch when the deadline occurs, then the target dies. Hard Lynch will be the majority of voters, with Soft Lynch less than that. If multiple targets are at Soft Lynch, the target with the highest amount of votes dies. Ties result in NO LYNCH.

Lynch votes may be any format you want, but make them stand out, please! Lynch: PlayerName, Vote: PlayerName, or Vote Player: PlayerName all works fine.

6. Mass claiming early in the game will not benefit town. I don't advise doing it! Attempting to decide if people are town or scum based on their claims has the potential to end badly, as well! Use your best judgement.

7. The only place game discussion may take place is in this thread, and your QuickTopics. Stay true to the spirit of the game, please!

8. Please do not post in the thread during Night phase!

9. Please respect my co-moderator: RUBICON. Whatever he says is the same as if I am saying it.

10. Do not edit posts in the thread for any reason. Use a doublepost if need be - they will automatically merge. Or just live with your typo of shame.

11. Respect your fellow players!

12. And above all, have fun! This is not optional.
    (Shamelessly stolen from Eid and modified for this game)

Roles

Town

5 Wizards + 5 vanilla townies = 10 Town

Win Condition: You win when the Red Court is eliminated and there is at least one town player left alive.

5 Wizards (Town)

1 Merlin
    - Each Night, target two players. Anything that affects one of these players will affect the other one instead. This ability may redirect the Red Court’s Night Kill, but does not affect any protection awarded by Elaine Mallory nor does it affect the Red Duchess. Can not self target.

Ebenezar McCoy
    - If there are mislynches (a Town member is Lynched) on consecutive Days, Ebenezar McCoy chooses a living player. That player dies. This ability is blocked by Elaine Mallory’s. Ebenezar may not target himself with this ability.

Warden Donald Morgan
    - As long as Morgan lives, the Merlin will survive up to one otherwise lethal action. This includes Lynches, Night Kills.

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden
    - Each Night, Harry Dresden chooses a player. At the beginning of the following Day phase, Dresden learns whether that player belongs to the Town or the Red Court.

Elaine Mallory
    - Each Night, Elaine chooses a player. This player cannot die that Night. This protection cannot be redirected to a target not of Elaine’s choosing.

Vanilla Human (x5)

Red Court
    WIN CONDITIONS: You win when you outnumber the town or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Red King
    -The Red King appears as a Town player to Harry Dresden’s nightly checks. This ability cannot be affected by the Merlin’s abilities.

Red Duchess
    - Once during the game, can choose a target to kill, pierces all protections (including Morgan) or switches and kills the exact target. However, as soon as the power is used, The Duchess loses it and may not use this again.

Red Baron
    - Each Night, choose a player. Should Harry Dresden target that player that Night, his check will come up inconclusive

Live List
    1. Zennith
    2. Zeelthor
    3. Bill Door
    4. OllieK/Zircon
    5. RuckyRee
    6. Dermon
    7. Zenzao
    8. Zeitgeist
    9. Kalas
    10. Aekiel
    11. Lyrium
    12. Citrus
    13. Sloth

13 alive it's 7 to Hard Lynch

Day 1 Starts At This Time

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, uh. I guess I'll open things up? We're past the time for Day 1 to begin, according to the currently linked clock.

Going to be interesting seeing how this proceeds. I'm knackered - hit twenty-six hours a few minutes ago and ready to drop. Don't know how I'm going to juggle this with finishing up my Romance Antho entry.

---------- Post automerged at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Also, if I wasn't supposed to post until Riley or Rubicon gave us some more flavor, my apologies.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    GAME ON!

So yeah, I'm here. Let's get this game going.

Somebody ask me a question.

4. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    @Aekiel

How'd you come up with your username?

5. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Hi Zen! Is the story you're working on for the DLP anthology or? That's super cool.

Aekiel, Josh Whedon and\or Alan Tudyk fan?

The flavor of this game reminds me of a Saw movie... Why is role play looked down upon?

6. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    @Lyrium

Hey, good to see you! :D Yeah the story is for the DLP anthology. Romance honestly is not as bad as I had expected it to be. I've got a decent ~1400 words down for the intro and I'm just trying to compile a solid middle to ground my male character in, and then decide on the later section and end. I think we're down to about 8000 words more or less? I'd need to double check the main topic to be sure.

Yeah. More Saw and a hell of a lot less Dresden than the title implies. What gives, milords Ri of ley and Rubi of con?

---------- Post automerged at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

And by-the-by, I'm probably heading out for the remainder of the actual EST night. I expected this game to start five and a half hours from now and I got jumped by the pm declaring the schedule shift only an hour before the game did start. I've got to get some dinner and sleep at this point.

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    It was a typo. Originally meant to be named Azekiel (I was young and stupid). Realised later that I'd made a mistake but decided to keep it anyway.

Of course. Joss Whedon is one hell of a director and I've seen Alan Tudyk in a bunch of films, not to mention Firefly.

I think that was asked in the sign-up thread. Basically, some people find it annoying and others just don't want to have to decipher your posts to find scumtells. We're playing with/against each other, not with the character you've invented for the game. Plus, who would you roleplay as? Your role?

8. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Right, Day 1 started! (And sorry for not explicitly opening the thread.)

Votes:

[13] Not Voting - Zennith, Zeelthor, Bill Door, Zircon, RuckyRee, Dermon, Zenzao, Zeitgeist, Kalas, Aekiel, Lyrium, Citrus, Sloth

Deadline is in 2 days, 23 hours and 5 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Hola! I've been waiting for something to do with my spare time (and then this starts at the same time as Survivor, wut).

Wanted to check in briefly, but I'll be back later

Also, I'll return with an Avatar

@Role playing discussion
    It's quite useful when you play anon games with people you know to keep yourself hidden, at least back at my home site. And it's fun sometimes too, especially depending on the game's flavor ^^

10. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I'm alive, I just got back home from werk.

11. Lyrium

Well, the flavor is a little different from what I thought but I was thinking kind of like murder mystery but there's magic and clues and detective work. Sort of like the first book of Dresden which is the only one I read so far.

Yes Joss Whedon is super epic.

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    So I don't recognise a couple names on the player list so I figure we should get this out of the way quickly.

Everyone: How many games of Mafia have you played?

---------- Post automerged at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

EBWOP: Lots.

13. Lyrium

This is the first one.

14. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

HiHi

I dunno, like 20ish.

Anyone that wants to answer but particularly newer players, what sort of things should Harry and Elaine be thinking of when they use their nighttime powers

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've played at least like... fuck. 8 or 9 on DLP easily

Also used to play in #werewolf all the goddamn time, it was awesome as tits.

16. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Alright! Turns out Avatar and Profile Picture are different things, but ten minutes of work and I figured it all out. Didn't realize "User CP" is basically settings.

I've played a fair number on my homesite - around 7-8? I'm excited to play here because the focus on my homesite is much more on roles and actions, while I've been told it's much more based on textual and behavioral analysis here.

Some setup speculation:

Role translations:
    Merlin - Bus Driver
    Ebenezar - Conditional Vigilante
    Warden - Angel/Autovest for Merlin
    Harry - Sheriff
    Elaine - Doctor (cannot be redirected)

King - Godfather
    Duchess - Perfect Kill
    Baron - Sheriff Target Blocker

I remember reading Baron as a Lawyer, but I just realized he makes reports inconclusive (which is quite a bit different).

@Bill Door
    I'll answer that with some initial thoughts, but would like to hear your thoughts at some point as well.

At least earlier on, I think Harry should check someone he's worried about the alignment of that will most likely not get targeted by the Baron.

Elaine has some extra power in not being redirectable. She should target more active/town leader type players since I think it's more likely the mafia will target them.

Harry should probably check some of these types (active/town leader) of players, but not necessarily on the first night.

17. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just got home from work, just wanted to get on the board here. And games of mafia? Like, four or five, I think. All on DLP.

18. Citrus

Citrus First Year

So quiet in here...

@Aekiel
    How many games have YOU played? (guessing quite a few?)

19. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

First one. I am already paranoid that you're all out to get me.

This game IS basically saw, but so far no one's acting particularly suspicious. Which means everyone is acting suspicious.
    Which is clearly what everyone wants me to think.

...I'll shut up and start taking this seriously now.

My question, to keep the ball rolling: Doesn't matter who you suspect, who do you hope is a Town?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  20. Aekiel

High Score:
    I've played 10+ games on here, a couple on fantasystrike and enough werewolf games that I don't even know how many digits to use when counting.

As for who I hope is town, I'd prefer some of the stronger analysis-based players like Bill Door and Dermon. Not particularly fussed either way though.