1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden Files vs Harry Potter.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rick, Mar 10, 2016.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Dresden Files

55 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Harry Potter

88 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

PS/SS was a fun read. Storm Front not so much.

I remember the only reason I slogged through the first 3 Dresden Files books (excluding my OCD for doing things in order) was because everybody here was swearing on their mothers that it gets better. Indeed it got better.

I'd pick DF over HP since it delivers more on what matters most to me when reading a story. I love a good hero. While I still consider HP Harry as a hero, DF Harry delivers in spades.

HP Harry as a hero could be easily summarized into one word. Lucky. Every single time he defied Voldemort wasn't because of a conscious decision he made but mostly because of decisions people made that placed him on a position to reap the reward.

How he became the Boy-Who-Lived? Voldemort chose his parents (not him).
    How he beat Voldemort in PS/SS? Lily's sacrifice.
    How he was able to beat the Basilisk? Fawkes destroyed the eyes (granted it was his loyalty to Dumbledore that brought Fawkes to his aid. Still it wasn't a conscious decision but a child's naivete).
    How he escaped the graveyard? Voldemort's cockiness and Voldemort's horcrux being attracted to Fawke's tail-feather.
    How he defeated Voldemort? Elder Wand's convoluted rules plus playing into Dumbledore's master plan.

Sure, HP Harry spits in the eye of the villain like every hero should, but from the point of view of a reader his story was mostly a product of lucking into the winning situation.

Now compare to DF Harry. DF Harry has his own share of luck but he definitely steps into the ring because he makes the decision to step into the ring. Everytime he defied the villain wasn't because he just happened to be in the area or had decisions made for him. He always made the conscious decision to step in front of his enemy because he knew that someone had to and that someone was him.

That's why DF wins out over HP fmpov. Because of a better protagonist.

And also the zombie T-Rex.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

"He always made the conscious decision to step in front of his enemy because he knew that someone had to and that someone was him."

This can easily refer to Harry Potter as well, and I think you know that.

How did he beat Quirrell in PS? He stepped up when the adults wouldn't, and faced Quirrell by himself as a child. Sure, his mother's sacirfice helped him, but it hurt him at the same time. In order to kill Quirrell he also knocked himself unconscious from the blinding pain it caused. It wasn't luck or JUST Lily's sacrifice that killed Quirrell, it was pure grit. Why would the power she gave him not count, but Dresden's numerous magical items do count?

CoS, he steps into the maw of the beast to face down one of more fearsome creatures on the planet with no protection other than his wand. He won with the aid of Fawkes, but it wasn't purely by luck. He still had to fight a venomous snake the size of a house with only a sword.

He escaped the graveyard through sheer willpower. Voldemort didn't let Harry win the Priori Incantatem duel, Harry's will was simply stronger.

OotP? He travels all the way to London to save his godfather from the most feared wizard alive.

DH? He literally dies in order to protect his friends. He entered the ring knowing all the facts

I mean, come on bro, the entire series is about Harry Potter stepping into the ring again and again, against odds that would cause most grown men to run away.

3. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I know I already weighed in, but honestly, we're comparing apples and passion fruit.

HP is a child's fantasy, about finding family and friends and facing growing up, and overcoming the pains of childhood and growing into the person you are going to be, where adults are useless and authority is against you.

DF is an adult fantasy, where you make mistakes and begin to understand the outside world, and lose friends not through moving away or even simple death but through your own failings and choices, and that adults aren't useless, they're just closed-minded, and authority isn't *against you*, it's just *for itself.*

Ultimately, there are a lot of similarities, yes, but I think there are far more differences, which makes any comparison ultimately pointless. the better one is the one you enjoy more.

4. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

Alright I don't think I explained my position properly.

Yes. Both of them do this. But in my opinion, HP Harry's victories are devalued due to the fact that some previous circumstance put him in a position to come out on top. DF Harry not so much.

I think this is one of the flaws of HP. Knowing what you know, you can't really tell yourself that Harry did all the work to merit his victories. Take away his crutches and you probably don't have a story.

DF Harry might have benefited from this once in a while but most of the time he does all the heavy lifting to create his own win condition. In a pinch, he'd gamble a lot to pull something out of his ass. In the end, you can't make an argument against the fact that DF Harry came out on top because he's just a stubborn mofo that doesn't want to lose.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah... You really gotta get to book 4 or so before Dresden Files gets going. Before that, it's sticking a little to close to the detective fiction tropes. Or that's I'm assuming, in any case.

Not sure why you'd vote for HP when it's a matter of comparison if you haven't even read DF, Xandrel. That sooorta doesn't make sense. :p

I personally prefer Dresden because its universe is more fleshed out and consistent.

Sure, Harry Potter is aimed towards children, but the tone is just... Weird. It jumps back and forth a lot and I just cannot stomach good guys who are so hopelessly good that they won't get their hands dirty, nor bad guys like Voldemort who are just pure cackling, babystrangling evil.

It's just a pity the Dresden Files community is so tiny and shitty.

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Jeram and Sree hit the nail on the head. DF is pulp in comparison to HP imo. I liked DF will enough but I just lost so much interest coming up to ghost story, and I don't even know if more books have been released since. I never even came close to that level of apathy with the Harry Potter books.

7. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The first 3 are widely accepted as the weakest in the series, Ghost Story is also the a notable dip in interest, but that comes much later and is needed to move side characters development along.

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Just started re reading/listening to DF after a very long time. This seems as good a place to bring it up as any. Does his writing of female characters get any better? I'm still only on the third one but I've been getting a distinct 'nice guy' smell off of his writing. All his female characters are beautiful and stubborn either completely unreasonable or manipulative or victims, but he's far too much of a gentlemen to do anything but go rescue them even though he was totally right all along. Murphy is particularly bad but they all seem to be shades of this. That and him excessively going on about his 'old fashioned' manners etc towards women make me picture the author with a fedora firmly atop his head. Its not blatant but it doesn't make me very fond of either Harry or his writer.

It just feels like you can read between the lines to see Jim's views on women, and they aren't great, and it makes Harry seem more like a self-insert fantasy than he otherwise would what with all these women chucking themselves at him for one reason or another.

That may not be fair of me since I know he was pretty young when he started writing DF and his female characters may have matured as he and his writing did; and it could be argued that it is somewhat a symptom of the early books detective noir inspired roots. But it does start to great and from where I am now it puts me off wanting to continue reading it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Nope. Murphy is the actual worst character in the series for the first several books, and you can only groan when you realize that she's here to stay. Her writing gets better, but only just. And you're spot on the money when Jim Butcher literally writes every single female as super attractive. Sure, you can pass it off as them being supernatural predators preying on human mortals, and being attractive makes that easier, but it does span through every single book and is quite tiresome. It's very formulaic at times.

10. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I completely feel you there. None of the girls are much good - it's tedious to listen to how attractive they all are for the umpteenth time. It feels like they're all potential love interests, which is excessive: even Ancient Mai, at over 400 years old, is described as beautiful.

But on the bright side, the actual romance aspects of Dresden Files tend to remain background stuff, and apart from Murphey being irritating, none of this seems to affect the plot too much.

11. Sorrows

That's fair enough, I was hoping that maybe that was a symptom of being like 20 when Jim wrote it, and that his perspective changed as he, I dunno, had some decent relationships with some real women or something. I'll probably keep reading anyway. I could ignore it usually but aside from the problematic characterizations, the way 'Harry' describes almost every women he meets honestly makes him seem like a bit of a creep, for all his protests about being a gentleman and treating women 'like a lady.'

Edit: As for the actual question of the thread, I haven't read Harry Potter in years, or watched the movies, and have not all that much desire to do so other than perhaps out of curiosity as to how I would find them now. But they were the first books I read by myself, and well, I am still here so they definitely had a lasting impact.

I'm finding the Dresden Files alright, though I am currently ploughing through to where I assume they kick into gear a bit more. Then again I've read so much DF fan-fiction I have a working knowledge of the universe he is in already. His female characters are annoying but not a deal-breaker and the universe is sufficiently fascinating for me to want to watch it expand. However I've given up on them before so we shall see.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Well it's not like I'd vote Dresden if I haven't read it ;)

But like I explained a few posts above, I don't have to read DF to know that I won't like it because I'm not a fan of the premise/type itself.

13. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I enjoy Dresden Files very much. It's my favorite series of it's kind. But nothing can beat the magic of the first 5 Harry Potter books. Only thing that comes even close to me is Hobbit, but it's not as relatable as the first five of the Harry Potter series.

When Rowling tries to turn the heat up in the later books is when Dresden Files IMO can compete, because that series has some superb villains and epic moments, while IMO Rowling flounders pretty badly with the last 2 books.

14. Kenainath

Kenainath Squib

High Score:
    Personally, between the two, I prefer Dresden Files. While the first books were somewhat weak, I found later stories to sketch out a larger world which kept my imagination active. In the Harry Potter books though, I found that after the fourth book, maybe the fifth book, the writing began to lose its attraction. I still read the books, but they were secondary to other works that interested me more.

I find that Dresden builds into a deeper character over the course of the books, striving to survive when placed massively out of his weight class, working in a gray world while Harry is in a world of black and white. If Rowling had gone deeper into building a wider world during the Harry Potter books, it would interest me more, but as it is, I don't really find what i'm looking for there.

15. syed

syed Supermod

This weird idea just came to me, what is better Hp set in DF, or DF set in the HP world? I read a lot of cross overs. You would be surprised how the two worlds would be merged.

16. Sorrows

Personally I prefer HP in DF, though that maybe because most DF to HP end up in or around Hogwarts and with the trio as teens, and I've rarely seen an interesting story made with those parts. Much more fun to watch adult Harry stomp around the Dresden Verse, especially outsider!Harry.

17. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I've always wanted to see the often mooted Harry Dresden as DADA professor. Sure all the attempts thus far have been terrible, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

As for the actual topic, I find it hard to say. I was at the age where Harry was perpetually within a year or two of mine and it was a large part of my childhood. I quite like the Dresden Files, it's one of the only series I buy on the day it's released, but it doesn't have the same emotional weight. I do like Dresden more that Potter though, he's less the everyman.

18. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

People love to attribute Harry Dresden's sexism to Butcher. The way women are described in DF is an explicit and acknowledged character flaw of the first-person protagonist, not the author. He doesn't do this in the Codex Alera where there are different genre conventions, a very different series of protagonists, and many fewer supernatural beasties that find it convenient to look super-hot to further their agendas.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Merriman hit it on the head. A good example of this is the short stories via other characters pov.

20. Sorrows

I haven't read his other works so I can't comment on that, nor have I read anyone else's impressions on Butchers work (other than on here.) All I can say is having read three of his books the way he portrays women puts me off both Harry as a character and Butcher as a writer. I've actually got no problem with Harry being a bit chauvinistic, or that there are a lot of supernatural hotties for him to creep over, flawed protagonists are great and all. Its more to do with the fact Harry is never wrong in any of these assumptions, or at least rarely seems to be, all the women in Dresdens world are irrational/manipulative/victims/after something. In addition to being almost universally sexualised in how they are described, even when its really quite uncomfortable like with Molly, and makes him seem more than a little creepy. The combination of those two things gives the impression that this is what Harry, and by extension the writer thinks women are.

Now if he does write without this in other series then that probably proves that that impression is just an unfortunate result of Harry's flawed perspective and not a reflection of Butchers views. I hope that's true, I otherwise like how he writes and would want to read more of his stuff.