1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden Files vs Harry Potter.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rick, Mar 10, 2016.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Dresden Files

55 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Harry Potter

88 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure what you mean by Harry not being wrong in any of these assumptions. He's a stubborn flawed character, but it's also possible that my opinion is coloured by the fact that I've read all of the books. My memory of the first 3 is a bit rough, but if you start book 4, you'll meet a women who is in no part what you describe here.

I think that's probably one of the best parts about the Dresden Files, is that Harry as a character grows and changes over time. And frankly, the first 3 books are by far the worst. If you've read anything about Dresden on this site, you'll of read that countless times. I would really recommend reading the others before you judge the whole series.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Aye I plan too, I'm only commenting on my first impressions of one issue in his first books. He's written a great many and as everyone says the first three are by far the worst. I've probably been overstating my feelings the issue somewhat, it annoyed me but it's a minor flaw in what's otherwise been a fairly enjoyable series.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm a bit confused, you said you've only read the first books but you mentioned Molly.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I marathoned a bunch of them close to ten years ago, I think I got to about 8 or 9 before burning out, I don't remember much about them tbh, but I do remember being weirded out by the way Harry described his much younger apprentice who he'd known since she was a kid. Re-reading them and this discussion reminded me of it.

Since I don't really remember much from the first read through I was basing my impressions on the three I read recently rather than vague memories from when I was like 14/15. (Except admittedly in this one example.)

Anyway I think I've both had my question answered and thoroughly derailed this thread.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  5. b0o0o

b0o0o Squib

High Score:
    i prefer hp, but from what i heard about Dresden files i like to read the books someday

6. Miner

Miner Order Member

I haven't read Dresden, so I'm voting for HP, although I really would like to read Dresden someday. Out of curiosity, since theres this chauvinistic, oversexualization thing going on here, should I read this in public? Or is this better for bedside reading and whatnot?

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Are you asking if it's wank material??

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Have you been listening to Tumblr or something? He's jokingly called chaunivistic, yeah, and it's a pretty honest male PoV, but it's not smut by any means.

There's one sex scene that's graphic in the entire series. Aside from that one, you can read it wherever.

9. Miner

Miner Order Member

Lol no I'm not looking for wank material. Just curious. And thanks Zeel.

I already get a lot of judgement for reading fanfic, because of the prevalence pf smut in the fandom, so I'd rather not extend that by reading something that supports that idea. Like Fifty Shades.

10. Avery

Avery Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, god. Please don't insult Dresden Files. Even accidentally.

And no, you don't have to cover it with wrapping paper when you take it out in public. No, it's nothing like Fifty Shades.

Voting for Dresden because it's good, ongoing, and I genuinely enjoy it more than HP. Maybe it's because it's been years since I've read HP, or maybe it's because I genuinely love the private investigator wizard narrative and worldbuilding that Butcher does. Dresden also has a unique voice/personality that I find entertaining and hilarious.

I wasn't offended at all by Dresden's viewpoints on women, and I think it'd be uncharacteristic of him to not notice beauty the way that he does, especially in the presence of so many of the fae/sidhe. I think the part that appeals to me most about DF is the way Dresden's character always seems to be suffering from some kind of disadvantage/gets a beat down, but then gets an upperhand when it matters most. When badassery needs to happen, it does, and for that I am grateful and pleased. There's nothing worse than an author failing to deliver.

11. Jhunkubir_Hazra

Jhunkubir_Hazra Muggle

I am sure that Dresden is a dork, he has a troubled past but wants to live in the present, shoots guns when the bad guys need to shot, drinks Mac's beer (to be truthful, everyone does so) and gets charmed by women, and gets afraid when a impossibly beautiful woman is in the equation.