1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dumbledore: Manipulative or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midknight, Jul 9, 2005.

?

Manipulative or not?

1. Yes he is

94.8%
  2. No, he's not

5.2%
  1. This_Ancientz_Dream

This_Ancientz_Dream First Year

Dumbledore has been currying favours and followers for a lot longer than Voldemort ever had a chance to. No, I'm not saying that Albus is a closet Dark Lord, but I am definitely of the opinion that his true intentions and motivations regarding 'the greater good' are not lily white.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and I'm sure that is part of what got him on the path to begin with...but he slid off onto the path less traveled a while back and forgot to ask directions on how to get home.

:wall:

2. Son of the Forsaken

Son of the Forsaken Third Year

I think that Dumbles is manipulative, look at the facts for a minute
    Dumbledore does not train Harry at all to face Voldie.
    Leave Harry with relative who hate him which makes Dumbles look like a savior when Harry goes back to school each year.
    Shitty teachers for DADA meaning that the students can't defend themselves
    thus making them look to him.
    Knowing the phophecy that connects Harry and Voldie yet only tells Harry After His godfather dies when it should have been told to him much earlier.
    Has Snape teach Harry occulmency,yet knows the fact that Snape hates Harry and vice versa.

These are a few reasons why Dumbledore is manipulative....... that or He's one stupidass philosophical idiot.
    If you don't agree....
    I don't give a damn

3. The Lord of Chaos

The Lord of Chaos Slug Club Member

I agree, I think that Dumbledore is manipulating Harry. However I think that Dumbledore is a great hero. He is someone to be looked up to. I feel bad when I read a story where Dumbledore is portrayed as evil. In the end he died for his cause. He drank poison to get to the Horcrux, and he all but asked for Severus to kill him.

:mid3

4. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

I think Dumble's manipulative. But being manipulative is not always a BAD thing. Another word for manipulating someone is guiding them. EVERYBODY manipulates others. Think about it - a parent manipulates his child by trying to make the boy do what he wants the boy to do. You're being manipulated by the environment you're in instantly from the time you're born. And if the parent manipulates his child to become the President of the U.S., can you honestly criticize him? That's what Dumbledore's doing to Harry.

And Dumbledore is a very strong character - he has great qualities. He's willing to DIE for his manipulations - see HBP. That's someone you have to respect. Lastly, he's manipulating for a good cause. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but at least it Dumbledore has good intentions for Harry. What would've happened if Fudge or Voldemort had gotten hold of Harry? Their manipulations don't even have good intentions.

Until somebody can prove Dumbledore has bad intentions for Harry and didn't sacrifice himself for his manipulations, I'd say the man is deserving of respect.

5. You know... I wouldn't be surprised if the old crone has a Horcrux himself.

I think he is manipulative(SP?). How in the hell did an 11 year old get past the Stone's trials? How did Fawkes know where the Chamber was? How did Dumbles not know that Sirius was innocent? How did Barty Crouch Jr. get past him? Why would he leave Harry to be mind-raped by Snape? Why not tell him the prophecy sooner?

His answer of course is,
    Bah, what childhood? I hardly think that living in a cupboard, being a human house-elf, and getting beaten is consistant in a happy childhood.

6. bizzle

bizzle Fourth 'dent

Don't bump old threads.

7. deathtehfluffybunny

deathtehfluffybunny Fourth Year

Ya this was a bit of a necro post. Please limit post whoring to active threads.

8. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

-sigh-

If he had a Horcrux,Fawkes would not have stayed with him.Horcrux would've tainted his soul.

I don't know what book you've been reading,but where does it say Harry passed the stone trials by himself?

Fawkes knew where Harry was at cause I don't know.Just go with what Dumbles had to say.

How would Dumbledore know that Sirius was innocent when all the evidence were pointing to Sirius.

Barty Crouch Jr. got passed Dumbledore with Polyjuice me thinks.

We all would like to know why he left Harry with Snape just so he could get mind raped.I think that is clear enough

He didn't want to tell Harry the prophecy cause Harry might get depress and /wrists.Oh noes!!

PS.Didn't want to add a whole bunch of quote tags.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  9. Sorry but I've seen that happen before.

Where did I say "by himself".

Haha. No don't think I will. THAT manipulation was just too obvious to ignore.

Try Veritiserum, or a simple TRIAL.

Legilimency, and Polyjuice doesn't work for Dark Marks. I think...

He still could have trained him for 'no reason'.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  10. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

*Sighs* Way to beat a dead horse. At the very least, if you're going to bump threads, try to add something new rather than rehashing things that have already been said.

Seen it happen where? IN FANON? Let me make this clear to you: canon and fanon are entirely different, and what you read in a fanfic cannot apply definitely to canon, understood? Just because some author wrote a fanfic where Dumbledore has a Horcrux and Fawkes stays with him, that doesn't mean that in canon that would be acceptable. JKR writes canon, and canonic information, unfortunately, is entirely dependant on what is published in the books.

That doesn't need to be a manipulation. We don't know what a Phoenix does in the HP-verse, all we know is that it has burning days, can transport itself, and can take an AK and survive. And from what we know, it can also find someone who is appealing to its master for help.

Its easier to take what Dumbledore says on face value rather than try and pervert this simple situation into an issue of manipulation. There are other incidences that can be easily turned around to show manipulation.

First: Its VeritAserum.

Second: Why (assuming, as canon says, that Dumbledore is Light), wouldn't Dumbledore assume that Sirius was at fault? For all he knew, Sirius was the secret keeper. Plus, the war had just ended, and the Wizengamot probably had a whole other bunch of shit to take care of, such as interrogating Death Eaters, trying to find out who was a covert Death Eater, and who was under the Imperius, as well as who wasn't under the Imperius. Yeah...lots of shit to deal with, and as the war had just ended, people were more likely to celebrate the end of an era of death rather than care if one man, the son of a notorious Dark family, was actually guilty or not. Dumbledore is human, he can make mistakes, and can make the mistake of overlooking one case in favor of dealing with hundreds of others.

Again, you don't know this. According to Canon, Polyjuice completely turns you into the physical replica of another person, down to the fact that their scars, missing limbs and missing eyes are all replicated in the transformed person. Why wouldn't a tattoo disappear, too? And its not as if Dumbledore can see through clothes, and I doubt someone like Moody would wear anything less than a robe, so his Dark Mark, if it did actually carry forward, would be completely covered.

And who's to say he isn't an Occlumens? It'd be a bit retarded of Voldemort to put a spy in Hogwarts who was unable to guard his mind from Dumbledore, the person Crouch was supposed to spy on, as well as Harry.

Even Canon!Harry isn't stupid enough to believe that Dumbledore wants to train him for no reason. I agree with this one, though, since Dumbledore could easily have said "Harry, as the Boy-Who-Lived, there will be many people who want to cause you harm, people who supported Voldemort, so I want you to learn to defend yourself as well as possible."

And once Voldemort showed that he was still alive (in HP:SS), there was yet another excuse, namely: "Voldemort will want revenge, so learn to defend yourself."

And try to keep from bumping threads unless you have something critically important, or entirely new to say.

11. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

>_>.How in the hell 'did an 11 year old'.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006