1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DUST 514: CCP FPS answer for ground war in Eve Online.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by TSN, Nov 20, 2010.

1. TSN

TSN Auror

2. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Certainly looks nice from the trailer, reminds me of Battlefield 2142. Hopefully it executes the concept a bit better.

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Oh Eve Online, you look so good, and yet have such a steep learning curve.

As to the FPS, I don't know. Looks generic.

Both on and off topic, anyone here play Eve Online? I've seen the news posts concerning the economy and warfare, and can't help but salivate. I've also heard that the learning curve is steep and most players just rape newer players, with almost no way to catch up. Any truth to this?

4. TSN

TSN Auror

a lot of truth, on the statement above pyro. but new player should stay the fuck out of contested territory until a certain time were you can actualy fight the old dog. but I find eve more fun if I usualy just relax and play it for the economy rather than the pvp.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I played for a a year and a few months before I stopped. The learning curve is ridiculous, it takes a couple of months to really really start to pick up all the little nuances of it. The biggest make or break of the game is the group that you start playing with (your corp).

I'm of half a mind to start again but I have so much of my stuff that is going to be inaccessible to me if I do go back ...

Also, that trailer has been out since I was playing ... so like a year and I don't think that there has been any more news on it since then.

6. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

That actually sounds really good to me. I've got all the free time in the world at the moment. I've been playing way too much SCII lately, going to check eve out.

7. TSN

TSN Auror

if your going to start on eve Ill restart as well, having a friend to help you at the start can make a huge differance.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Eve... Has a very steep learning curve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  9. TSN

TSN Auror

omg. nearly choke laughting ahah

10. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Hm. Wouldn't a steep curve on the graph of skill vs time indicate the game is easier to learn? Indeed, that graph shows that the veteran WoW player will only reach the skill of a brand new Eve player after quite a long time.

11. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

You say that like it's confusing :p

Also relevant:

[​IMG]

I <3 pirating :)

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I wanted to be a pirate, but I only had a 14 day trial. x:

13. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Haha, I wasn't much of a pirate tbh, I just like killing people in general (see the no reason above). If they happened to offer me money to stop well, extra cash and another kill mail is always nice :D

14. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

This originally described the learning curve for Dwarf Fortress. And isn't Second Genesis the name of the EVE CCG?

I too have seriously considered getting into EVE, but the learning curve is obscene and you'll never get anywhere near those that started back in 2003. That usually puts the kibosh on that line of thought.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

You are a dick pirate then.

:D

In any case, I used to play, it takes a while to get the skills needed to fly the good ships so get used to sitting around and doing nothing/shooting lasers at rocks.

16. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Started my 14 day trial, downloading the client now. Should be interesting :).

Edit: Oh God, I'm actually kind of scared. That is both the most intimidating, and yet most interesting game I've ever started. I need to hit the sack right now, but I sense this becoming a major time sink >_>.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  17. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Fucking carebears.

18. TSN

TSN Auror

Pyro, when you log, send a message to *roberto Dufours* thats me. ill try and help you as much as i can. hopefully I wont send you into too much scrap.

edits Dufours is spelled with an 's' at the end, sorry I seem to have fuck up my own name. This is bad bro, Bad.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  19. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Dust has been in development for almost two years now, or so I understand, and since that trailer in August, there has been absolutely no word on its development or definitive launch date (just that it's supposed to come out in '11), even though it's supposed to be running on the 360/PS3. For an MMO it needs to launch within 2011 for it to have any chance at longevity/profitability, yet I find it highly unlikely, even though it's going to be using the Unreal engine (so half the work is already done).

CCP is also making Vampire the Masquerade MMO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RDlQQTi7bQ) which was SUPPOSED to launch this year (it was announced back in '06) - and it's been pushed back another two. So the likely hood CCP can keep its promises are shaky, especially since EVE is their only published game so far.

I played EVE for about 2 months last year. It was incredibly fun. Once you get past the farming aspect and enter the social realm of conquering 0.0 space, sieging enemy corp assets, speculating on the mineral markets, transporting and protecting your corp's assets, and other things - it's just immersive and exciting. But I knew I wouldn't be able to commit playing to it, it's such a distracting game. It's probably the game you want when you're diagnosed with terminal cancer and are totally free for the last 12 months of your life :X (though I guess that's the least meaningful way to spend it).

The 14 day trial won't satisfy you. Mostly because it's just enough time to get a cruiser or properly fit a frigate. To climb the ranks from being a broke nub to a "cannon fodder pilot" takes about 14 days, and you can only do that by doing the most boring of things (mining, farming rats/missions, begging rich players to spare you a million ISK).

I'm looking forward to Dust/VTM, if CCP can take some of the concepts that work in EVE to those games, they would definitely be fun, if not succcessful, games.

20. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Well ... I have restarted my accounts.

So far I've gotten half a dozen kills, and gotten hot dropped by a supercarrier (squished me needless to say) ... So fucking awesome!

Back OT: In one of the recent dev blogs there was a rather casual mention of Dust and its eventual integration into the current game. I'll go look for it and edit with a link.

Edit: here.

A really casual mention about a third of the way down.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010