1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2013

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It sure looks pretty, but the concept of teleporting around the field and fucking shit up is what's had me excited since the trailer that had Noctis taking on that army of goons outside his manor.

2. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

Wut? It's a competition. How can it not be? Showcasing your current games, tech. and merchandise in a showcase fashion versus other companies is exactly what a competition means. Ever been to a state fair? Pig versus pig, in a showcase fashion. Sorry your console blew balls but just because a console's showcase sucked doesn't mean you can disregard it as a competition. Because that is exactly what it was.

Sales afterwards is also a competition. But E3 has been a fight between different competitors for years. It is what makes the weekend competitive and compelling.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sasuke looks pretty good in this, even if he abused the body flicker and the graphics are amazing but I am disappointed that he didn't get to use Chidori against one of those monsters.

That said, the swords look really, really stupid, so inconvenient to actually wield in battle.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The teleporting will either have to be very limited/linear - almost like scheduled events - or almost impossible to control. There's no way you could select with any precision a location you want to teleport to on those huge maps at the speed combat is going at.

I'm guessing it will be the first. There will be preset locations you can teleport to on a battlefield and maybe you can toggle between them to select one.

That's the optimistic way. The other way is that at a certain point in a battle an option pops up "teleport", you select it and it takes you to a preset location. That would be the XIII way of doing things.

5. Tesla

Tesla Auror

I always feel baffled by the amount of hate people express over Final Fantasy 13. I thought it was pretty good, if flawed. My problems were mostly with the story, characters and pacing. I thought the combat system was incredibly well-designed - it's only problem was that the game had to be challenging you for the complexities of the combat system to really come out, and for much of the main story the game was too easy for that. Maybe it's because I was only introduced to the series with FF X, and 13 was the first which I really played properly.

Anyway, I'm very excited for FF XV. The creator of it has a great reputation, the trailers are impressive and I am not offended by how different it is to previous FFs.

6. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

It has nothing to do with the fact that my "console's showcase sucked" and everything to do with the fact that it's an Expo. It's a showcase, yes it can suck or rock but it's still just a showcase. You don't get a gold medal or a shiny sticker at the end. You get to show off what you have and allow people to like or dislike your product. Sure you can "win" rave reviews but if you product is good enough that'll happen regardless of whether it's at E3 or on the shelf.

By claiming it's a competition you go into it with a closed mind and see only the best and worst and nothing in between. It becomes a win-lose situation instead of an exhibit on the advancement of gaming technology which it was originally meant to be. I might be dumb here but I like all of E3 not just seeing who "won" a particular press conference.

Plus, saying something "won" E3 means that if it sucks in the hands of the consumer then the disappointment is much greater then if you remember that they're showing you exactly what they think will get you excited, even if it's not the end product. Sony in fact stated that what they had on stage was not a finished product, therefore, no matter how much compelling info you have that it's going to be better, it can still end up having some major flaw.

All the above plus the fact that I like every console in some way and this is the chance for me to look around and see what's what, not who's the fastest or who's the most powerful. The reason being, they're all different machines and now they all are aimig for a different niche. Comparing a family entertainment system (The Xbone apparently) to a pure gaming console (the PS4) to the unusual and unique peripheral console (The WiiU) is kind of hard for me since I can see the different uses for each one.

/rant, sorry for the derail but it annoys me to see something like an Expo be turned into a goddamn race.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I think it's just one of those internet things, Riley.

Every time E3 comes up everyone has a fun time and declares a "winner" whenever a company releases a game they enjoy. It's just a fun joke.

8. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

9. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There's a PS2 release? What the hell.

10. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    FIFA doesn't take much to work, I guess.

11. redshell

redshell Order Member

> He liked Triple Triad
    > laughingwhores.jpeg

But in all seriousness, FFVIII was fucking god-tier, and anyone who says otherwise obviously didn't get past the massive angst-fest of the first disc to the massive fuckwin of discs 2-4. Although, I will say, fuck that game for forcing the player to choose between having weak as fuck characters against weakish bosses, and strong characters against I'mma eat your fucking soul bosses.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Wait, is it confirmed that MGS5 will be coming out on PC?

13. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

This is where you lost me.

[​IMG]

14. Gengar

High Score:
    Levels meant nothing in 8, only junctioning. (except for making enemies harder ofc)

If you junctioned 99 meteors to str at lvl 1, you'd max the stat. I loved that system. I only wished they made magic more powerful so you'd actually think about junction vs. Use magic.

Ragnarok was also the coolest airship ever.

As for the teleporting, I've only seen the video once or twice, but it looked like when you use 'teleport' or whatever, you hang there suspended in mid air while the reticle (or however you target ppl) jumps to enemies around automatically.

It seemed quick, but just like Tab targeting, controllable.

Could be wrong though.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I loved 8 but I absolutely hated junctioning and farming all those goddamn magics. I spent half the game in the menu readjusting shit and switching Guardian Forces or whatever the fuck they were called.

The sphere grid is still the greatest progression system ever created. Oh you want to over level in order to beat this super tough boss early in the game? WELL TOO FUCKING BAD!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  16. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

If I get any console, it'll be a WiiU.
    I really want a PS4, but WiiU will have a Super Smash Brothers, which is the ultimate college party game, and I know I'd get way too addicted to PS4 because of any Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear Solid game that came out.
    That said, will definitely be hitting my friends up to use their consoles.
    I was (still am, I guess) a huge fan of FFX. Amazing story, combat system, leveling, item customization, difficulty, etc.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Over-levelling was completely possible in X. The only real limit were the lock spheres, but often they didn't block your path completely, they just stopped you from getting something really awesome on your way through.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Overlevelling is possible in any RPG where enemies don't scale with you.

We should probably get off FF and steer the topic back to e3, no?

19. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

You guys do realize that with Mega Man confirmed as a character, that it means the Mega Man franchise is now attached to Smash, at least temporarily?

Zero could be a secret character. How fucking amazing would that be?

That's DLC I'd buy. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

20. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. You mean to tell me that Mega Man being in a Super Smash Bros. game ties him to the Super Smash Bros. series?

I for one am shocked.