1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Earth's Emissary by MadEyes - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nah, we've only truly bashed a few authors when they've arrived here, and that was because they wrote utter garbage, were on really high horses, and when they came here, flamed us for not worshipping their filth.

The staff tries to run a very, very fair show, just some people can't take it when they're told that their typo infested, HP/GW/HG/NT/BB independent, dark but light, Heir of Gryffindor story with manipulative!Dumbledore, Sirius rising from the dead, etc. fic is hard to read, and the plot reads out like a story book written for toddlers

Yeah thats the hard thing, 90%+ of the ideas that are believable in the HP world have been used at least once before somehow. I struggle with my fic often trying to come up with totally original ideas, to the point where I often get angry and don't write for weeks at a time. I've come up with a handful of totally original ones, but when I look at those, they almost see out of place when compared to the cliche world of HP fanon.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Ahh, welcome, welcome! Glad to see more authors here. And yes, we're brutally honest here about reviews on fics. I myself liked this fic, you should really continue it. The creature interactions and the link to nature would be really interesting to see more of. Might I ask how you found us?

3. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Ah, I know which ones you’re talking about. For me as a fan, those kinds of stories are my kryptonite. I can’t stand them. But then again, I don’t comment on them either since I don’t know if someone like that can take any criticism at all.

Exactly, that’s why I create a somewhat parallel [AU] reality for my ideas to work. Still, you have to use a lot of the old ideas to keep the story grounded close to cannon. It’s a pain, but that’s the closest I’ve been able to get to write an original idea without loosing the attention of everyone who’s reading at the same time.

I mean, that’s why the first chapter in any of my stories are so thick, if you can’t get through the first chapter, then you won’t get the rest of the plot. So it’s more of a filter than anything. At least I hope it is. lol.

Thanks! I think that the honesty bit was what made me post in the first place; it’s a bit difficult to find someone to tell you when you’ve screwed everything up. That’s why it’s so hard finding a Beta; most just tell you that everything great, mostly because they’re fans as well.

As for continuing with my fics, I’m on it. It’s been a bit hard after so much time, but stuff got in the way and I didn’t have as much time as I used to. Nevertheless, new chapters should be up in a matter of days, I’m already up to 3,500 words for the next chapter, and I always post about 6000, so I’m half way there, at least.

And I found you guys because someone found the link here, read my fic and decided to send me an email, asking to see if it was abandoned or what. So I’ve been talking to him via emails for a day or so and he mentioned finding my fic here. I asked for the link, and well, the rest is history, as they say.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Haha, yeah, Mid was right, it's rare that any authors come onto this site aftertheir story has been posted and praised/bashed. I think WhiteWitchDark, Bobmin, and IP82 came, the first two just gave one post and left basically telling us to screw off, and well, all of us praised IP82's work. And since you didn't yell at us or anything, we didn't take anything personally. I liked your story (seeing as I'm the one who posted it) and can't wait till you update! Welcome to DLP!

5. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

I found it all hilarious, I mean, just to quote a few comments:

I mean, they cracked me up something awful, and most of the comments were positive anyways, something that, mind you, was very surprising, especially with the preferred vibe of fic’s in this site. Meaning the ‘slaughter the Weasley slut,’ ‘take over the world,’ ‘kill all the fucking cannon characters in vicious a vicious,’ sort of thing. ‘Cause lets be frank, my story's a bit too ‘positive’ for all if you, lol.

Not that I mind though. I’m glad so many of y'all like it.

In any case I’m very close to updating, its been a bit hard to get into writing again, I’m and architect for cripes sake, so I do this more for fun then anything else. Again, thanks for the warm welcome! You’re sure to see me around quite a bit.

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I still find it amusing that bobmin claim the reason most or sunset sucks beyond belief is that they're "trying to write something totally oppisite of what" they'd normally do. Yet they can't handle being told it sucks, its nothing but long drawn out angst sessions. *shrug*

7. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

YAY MADEYES POSTED A NEW CHAPTER I HEART YOU MAN! (going to read now )

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Good job on the newest chapter! I liked it, and if you want I'll fill the position of a beta-reader. =)

9. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Good, I hope you enjoy it! And get back to me on what you think and if there’s anything I could fix in it. It is a work in progress after all.

Thanks! I didn’t know I would get feedback so quickly, and I was half expecting some of the good old criticism that DLP.net is known for. Goodness knows I don’t get any of that in FF.net.

Anyways, like I said in my authors notes, you’re more then welcome to try Beta-ing if you can stand my nonsensical chatter for more than five minutes. Are you interested in going over the last chapters or would you like to start with the upcoming chapters. If I’m not much mistaken, I should have the next chapter of Emissary ready before the next weekend.

The next chapter of my Time-travel story should be up in a few days, so I could send you notice after I’m finished with that. In any case, get back to me and we can smooth out the details if you still want to give it a shot. Thanks for considering it, though.

10. Lord Ravenclaw

I can go over the earlier chapters if you want, but there weren't too many errors in there. And just because I prefer the dark, and such doesn't mean I hate stories like that. I can deal with light stories. Its just the Harry/Ginny fluff that really kills a story for me, and most light stories like this involve H/G.

11. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Yes, I know what you mean. Most of the stories out there would move up from god-awful to tolerable if they just dropped the sappy ships. But anyway, I tried to fix what’s been pointed out to me before posting this last chapter, like I used to write ‘wander’ instead of ‘wonder’ a lot, but that’s all fixed now.

And if you’re interesting in bouncing ideas for the next chapter, I’ll give it a try. I’m introducing something that I don’t know if it would work or not, but its one of my favorite subjects and been on my mind since I started this fic. Still, feedback doesn’t hurt, and I’ve already written a third of the next chapter, so it’s not beyond the realm of change.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Well if you want to bounce ideas, just contact me through AIM, Yahoo, or just PM me.

13. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Great chapter, you really are an excellent author. I'm going to have to go back to read the whole thing again because it has been a while and I forget what happened with the Vampires; and as for your grammar and such... If there are any problems just think of it the way I do... as authors we are crafting these stories from our own minds...they're our own creations and using unique grammar and spelling helps to give the reader a sense of ease and can sometimes help to pull the reader right into the story (figuratively of course). I don't know if this has crossed your mind before or not, but if you were to publish a novel, i'm sure it would surpass anything printed in recent years :D

14. Lord Ravenclaw

I think you're confusing writing styles with grammar. Grammar is the syntax of any language, and should be adhered to. Style is good, but improper grammar is not. Nobody wants to read something they have to decipher first.

15. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

No not writing styles, but now that you mention it; I would have been clearer to say punctuation and sentence structure.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Nice chapter. I didnt notice it had been updated until I came across it on the first page at FF.Net and it had another chapter.

17. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Thanks! I wouldn’t say that about myself in a million years, my writing is too moody sometimes to be any good, but its still fun to do when I have the time. Still, if you are reading everything again, do let me know if you find some plot holes and what not. I can never keep everything straight and I’ll probably have to start keeping notes of what happened in every chapter so I wont leave any loose ends.

But I have to agree with Raven at this point. I write the words as I hear them some of the time, and although my grammar has improved greatly since I started writing, for someone who’s native language is English, all these grammar mistakes and structuring problems make it that much more difficult to understand. I know there are a lot of fic’s that I stop reading because of it, even if the plot is the best out there.

After all, if I’m going to learn anything, it’s not going to be from writing that has to be decrypted first. If I do that ill be starting to use abbreviations and slang in whatever I write.

Exactly.

Thanks! I bet you guys will like the next one better, since the action starts there. What could be more entertaining then watching Harry kicks something into submission, after all?

18. Perfect Insanity

Perfect Insanity First Year

read this one looooong ago, but only the first chapter. on a side note, there is now a member of this site named perfectly insane. thats a weird fucking coinkydink. oh well

19. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

lol. Only the first chapter? Were thou discouraged by the thick prose of the story? It does get lighter as the story goes and what not. It’s just a gimmick to keep unwanted readers away. *cackles madly*

20. Lord Necros

Lord Necros Slug Club Member

*points his wand a madeye* Crucio make veela next on the list for bonding