1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ectomancer by RustyRed - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

This did make me think of Guild Wars for a moment or two there, but I think this is just the author having fun with a random idea. I like this, and hope to see more. 4/5

2. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Well this is certainly promising. There seems to be an actual plot with original idea's inter-spaced between mildly poor grammar and some off putting spelling, very interesting. His characterization seems to progress then degenerate, Dumbledore goes from cannon like, to rather out of character in a few lines of dialogue. That was a bit of a downer but still enjoyable read so far.

Is it even a cross with anything? It's nothing like i've ever heard of.

3-4/5

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This is impressive.

5/5

4. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Great start. Interesting plot and ideas so far, and the writing isn't half bad.

4.5/5

5. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

The story is too short to merit a rating yet, but it is one of the more promising fics in recent times. I will keep an eye on the fic.

6. RJL333

RJL333 Third Year

I like it for the most part with the one exception being the way Accio is used. I mean using it to summon a brick wall down and a floor down on top of someone, thats just not right.

7. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

Chapter 5 was just added, not much action at all, but a great chapter nonetheless. A very much unforeseen but not unwelcome twist concerning the identity of the fake Dumbledore. Depending on how this twist is expanded upon, this could either ruin the story or raise it to even greater heights. Although having read what the author has so far, I have high hopes.

Harry's new interest in spell-crafting has great potential, but only if written wisely. Just from the author's description we see that spell-crafting is a complex and difficult profession, and I would not expect Harry to gain any real proficiency for many chapters.

I was kind of hoping for more excursions into the Other Side, and some headway into that little mystery, but the fact that we're kept waiting on that front is an overall good story decision in my opinion.

Excellent characterization so far. It is also a refreshing surprise to see someone have Hedwig play such passive yet prominent roles. I hope Hedwig continues to be such a well written character. It was sad that Hedwig was so rarely mentioned in canon, and to have died so ignominiously in DH was an insult to such a wonderful character.

Interesting angle with Hagrid. Again exploring an often little used character. I've always been of the belief that Hagrid was a good if naive man, and this new angle of interaction with Harry opens intriguing possibilities. Finally, I would just like to praise the author for the marvelous descriptions of the Hogwarts stables, the various magical creatures, and the whole bit with Peeves. These all combine to show a wonderfully creative and original mind so rarely seen in fanfiction these days. A 5/5 from me just for the quality of this character building chapter.

Edit:

You're right maidros, it does seem kind of odd that a witch of McGonagall's caliber would lose to a pipsqueak like Harry is at this point in the story. Although I'm inclined to give the author the benefit of the doubt for now. After all, Harry managed to kill Voldemort with an expelliarmus, I think I can swallow the McGonagall thing. Plus, with all the fics out there which assume that just because of the DOM fiasco the likes of Ron and Neville could handily defeat experienced DEs, and suddenly the McGonagall thing doesn't seem so bad. Also, while it may be true that McGonagall's been teaching with Dumbledore for a long time, we know that she doesn't come close to Dumbledore's caliber. And it's not like McGonagall looked over Dumbledore's shoulder keeping track of everything he did, it's a lot less likely that she would remember a spell he invented 50 years than the inventor himself. Besides, the spells Harry asked were of the combat variety, something Dumbledore rarely used after Grindelwald.

I see Hagrid as the likely kind of person to speak about balance in nature. He's been doing what he's been doing for a long time now, and Hagrid's not exactly a character that JKR went to a lot of trouble to explore. No one in the story even bothered to really ask him about why he likes doing what he's doing. So while his deep comments were unexpected, they weren't that much out of character I think.

As for Snivellus. Harry only agreed so that Dumbledore would let him go to the Burrow. And he only agreed to try it one more time, and then he could just give it up. Remember that Dumbledore also played the guilt card with the 'protect your mind to protect your friends,' and given how similar Harry is at this stage to canon (weak and forgiving) Harry, agreeing also falls into the realm of plausibility.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  8. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

Well - I will not give it a rating yet, but there are several points about the new chapter. First, if McGonagall duelled Harry, I very much doubt she would lose - even if she were under an imperious curse and confundus charms. Hell, the old woman duelled Voldemort without taking too much damage! Besides that, McGonagall gave me the impression that she has been long in the school and with Dumbledore for quite a lot of time. She would know what spells Dumbledore has invented and she would be unlikely to get caught by Harry tossing a fake spell to Dumbledore's credit.

Secondly, the whole business about Hagrid giving a lecture on balance was odd to say the least. I never figured Hagrid as a druid, much less one particularly concerned with the philosophy of neutrality in nature.

Finally, given Harry's terrible experience with Snivellus, I am rather concerned that he agreed without any protest to having his mind raped by the greasy haired git once more.

I will still be keeping an eye on the story and I will not give it a rating yet, but the latest chapter was not all that impressive as far as I am concerned.

9. shadetz x

shadetz x Second Year

Since people brought up Guildwars, taking some ideas from the game would not be too bad. I would love to read a Mesmer turned Harry who learns to dominate Voldemort's ass. I would love to read a scene where Harry 'Power Block' Voldemort just when he was about to get finished off. A Mesmer!Harry should definitely be H/Fleur as he will worship illusion and beauty.

Spiritual Pain & Unnatural Signet > Horcrux

As for this story, it is coming along nicely but I will not vote until I figure out where this story is heading.

10. Anme

Anme Professor

New chapter was a bit disappointing but I'll be following this for now.

11. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

I would be one of the first to read a Guildwars/HP crossover, there's a lot of potential if one can blend them correctly. But that's the problem, it's not easy. Especially when it comes to the magic. What are we going to do about incantations for the Guildwars spells? Will we omit incantations for those spells or painstakingly craft new ones?

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally got around to reading this, well worth the time. I enjoyed it.

Update rate seems decent, and has at least a bit of the fic plotted out.

Looking forward to more.

4.5/5

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What else can I say that hasn't already been said? The story is great, and I'm eagerly anticipating the next chapter.

14. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

The new chapter exceeded my expectations, and the character of the grizzly bear animagus is very interesting. I eagerly await the next installment.

5/5, unreservedly.

15. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Never really thought this was such a good fic, now I'm sure it's not. Chapter 6 is stupid and so is the storyline.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting fic all round, some good ideas in there. The author is needlessly stretching things out though, in that it's fairly clear to us - Muggles - that Harry's new powers have something to do with the dead. Harry, who is actually a wizard and thus would know more about magic than us, should also be able to see that this is clearly what is happening.

Harry is generally too stupid all round. His pro-active attitude is good, but he's even dumber than canon Harry if anything.

Regarding the latest chapter, here is my reivew:
    In addition to what I left on FF.net, I also want to note that earlier in the story Harry was able to summon fire by clicking his fingers, and yet now he seems to have completely forgotten about this skill.

At the moment this fic is too unpolished to really merit a 4/5, but it's still an enjoyable read and may improve itself later on. The update rate is certainly good (though it may not last).

So, for now, 3/5.

17. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

... I'm actually inclined to believe that Harry was actually kidnapped by Dumbledore himself. Remember, the house elves even said that Dumbledore visited the ship when it was in port.

Then again, perhaps I'm reading into things a bit much. (Er...no pun intended)

18. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Yeah I think you are, if Dumbledore wanted Harry dead, he would be long gone by now. I think that when the kidnapper mentioned in this chapter that anyone who would have helped him on the ship was currently out beating the bushes for Harry, he was refering to Dumbledore.

Though I do admit, it does seem odd to be fooled so easily again by Polyjuice, though if this is the last time I can overlook it. Perhaps it will force Harry to become less trusting and do some research on how to detect magical traps/potions which would be a good thing

19. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

This is just a possibility: Maybe, Dumbledore was the kidnapper, and he's using the "Pit" to train Harry for the oncoming fight with Voldemort. On the one hand, this seems like something only an uber-manipulative!dumbledore would do, and this one seems fairly benign. On the other, Dumbledore obviously wants Harry to win, and considering that he is effectively immortal (excluding death by voldemorts wand) it doesn't seem outside the realm of realistic possibility for him to use the Pit to force Harry to release any great powers he may have.

Stupid? Yay or Nay?

20. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Possible, though I highly doubt it. Such a thing would simply turn Harry completely against Dumbledore and there are better ways of training than possible death/dismemberment. Nah, he recycled the strategy of polyjuice again