1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ectomancer by RustyRed - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably a nay. For one Harry is not 'effectively immortal'. The prophecy isn't like a binding contract where one side has to kill the other. It's just that with the way both Voldemort and Harry are they would eventually lead to a battle where one dies and the other lives.

That said, the thought did cross my mind that it could have been Dumbledore, but then, it also crossed my mind that Tonks could have turned traitor...

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One does wonder where all these people are getting bits of Dumbledore to make their polyjuice out of...

I think he was actually referring to the events of GOF, revealed in DH: that when Voldemort took on Harry's blood, he became a pseudo-horcrux for Harry. With Harry being a pseudo-horcrux for Voldemort as well, we can see where the "either must die at the hand of the other" line came from.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last chapter just completely ruined it for me. Basically exactly the same as what Taure wrote.

3/5

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

A good start =/= a good story, case in point.

I felt my attention wander during the fifth chapter, even put it aside a few times, and this one is just ... well, obviously we don't know what the author has in mind. But as things stand right now, the pit-thing is completely random, and the circumstances that brought Harry there are contrived, bordering on ridiculous. The thing just doesn't work.

I agree with what has been said about Polyjuice!Dumbledore (Taure), no need to repeat that. However,

Even if the pit wasn't completely random, it fails, right there. If "people have been hearing", then so has Dumbledore. Period. Even with that excuse

it doesn't work. If there are as many people aboard as is suggested, there has to be someone who can't keep his mouth shut and'll leak the information outside. There's no way Harry would've been there for days without someone coming to get him out, it doesn't make sense.

Even more so for Voldemort -- if Lucius "knows he's on board", then Voldemort knows. And even a pathetically stupid Voldemort wouldn't let that chance pass. Barring a deus-ex-machina of Rowling-proportions, and assuming Dumbledore really doesn't know where Harry is, Harry should be dead exactly now.

As it is, it looks to me like Harry is at the pit just because. Because the author wanted a fight, because he thought it sounded cool, whatever -- the point is, he's there for no reason, and that's bad story-writing.

On the plus side, the technical aspects are as good as they were, and the concept and description of the Galloping Galleon is interesting.

Of course, I'd enjoy it much more if Harry and some rich hawt pureblood girl were sitting together in the stands, watching the plebs down in the pit while talking politics. Man, I can’t wait for Methene to update ...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  5. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

New chapter was a little bit disappointing, but I'm nowhere close to giving up on this story yet. It's still very interesting and I'm hoping the author addresses the various criticisms that have been given so far.

The author sounds like a reasonable guy and is probably not like one of those authors who are arrogant and refuse to address criticism, ideas, and other little things that readers point out.

6. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

You know, I don't think I've ever read Death Eater!Tonks. Then again, there really is no reason for her to turn evil, is there?

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

D8.
    Chapter Six was dissapointing. The author is either rushing, or their attention to detail is slipping. The first bit, as everyone has said, seems fresh and above a certain standard, but then, when chapter five, and even six were put up, they both seemed a bit bland. Harry is just wandering around(Although, liked the interaction on the school grounds, even if it was with Hagrid.), things all seem lack luster, and the Reoccuring Dumbledore impersenation, while interesting at first, does tend to get old when repeated.

Speculation is thus: The Author seems to have been crusing the site, someone told him the story was for review here, or they're a member, and I'm sure the reviews thats being given will help. Point is, at the start of Chapter Five, there was mention of catching up(posting wise) to where the author is currently in writing.

I think they, the author, should be more worried about refining what they have now, and making sure that what is being written is kosher and atleast appears to have some sembalance of thought.

Overall:
    -Chapter Five was Meh. 3.5/5
    -Chapter Six was more Meh, and it left me feeling like I'd eaten overly boiled chicken. 2.5/5

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The bad thing about DLP is that I thoroughly enjoyed the last (two) chapter(s) and then I come into the For Review section and hear everyone trashing it, and the author. Not that what you all are saying isn't true, but... Whatever. You're fucking it up for me.

I personally liked the fact that Dumbledore is being impersonated multiple times. Imagine Dumbledore's reaction when he finds out. And of course, it sets up a believeable reason for Harry to lose trust in Dumbledore--you wouldn't trust someone if every time you turned around the motherfucker was trying to kill you.

The Galloping Galleon's description was very good and I like the grizzly man, but even I have to say that everyone on board knowing about Harry Potter competing in a wandless battle is kind of a stretch. Like Nastia Liukin. If he would have dropped that part it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Maybe the answer is in leaving out the conversation altogether. Then Harry would be even more bewildered upon reaching his destination, and he could figure out what little he could from the prisoners.

The story is still pretty cool, though. It's a 4/5 and library worthy.

EDIT: Has anyone approached the author about joining DLP? He seems like he would fit in pretty well here, based on his A/N and the story thus far.

9. Innomine

High Score:
    I sent him a PM with a link to this thread on it, and a couple of bits of advice etc etc.

Also, my main problem wasn't with Dumbledore being impersonated multiple times as such, it was more with Harry falling for it twice.

Especially when he apparently had alarm bills blaring, I remember a phrase like this.

So, he just thought this and thought... huh, well, whatever, lets just ignore my gut feelings of what has happened before.

I'd of been up for it happening twice, to a different person, or perhaps a better impersonation, but not to Harry who thinks it is him, but just goes along with him anyway.

10. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

Yeah, Harry falling for an impostor twice in a row was a bit much, but I can overlook that. Ch6 wasn't bad for me, even if I skipped some parts (the descriptions of the ship).
    The only real problem I have with the story is that Harry is at Hogwarts for one week and doesn't tell Dumbledore (or at least Flitwick) anything about his magic or the underground. That just feels like the author tries to unnecessarily draw out the plot and annoys me to no end.

But all in all it's a good and promising story.
    4/5

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

The latest chapter is a bit... off. Hopefully it's going somewhere good.

I'm with the people who are annoyed by the repeat appearance of counterfeit!Dumbledore. I hate it when the heroes fall for the same trick twice. If it's the same trick except cleverly altered, that's one thing, or even if a long time has passed since it was last used. This shit with Harry falling for the same trick right after he was nearly killed by it, though... bleah.

Oh, and I don't buy for a minute that it was Tonks. If she was in on it, she could have disappeared with him when they left Hogwarts in the first place. After all, it's not like they won't notice he's missing after a few minutes at the Burrow, so it wouldn't be advantageous to take him there then kidnap him.

Unless you're arguing for a mind-controlled Tonks, I guess. Then maybe the bad guys only nabbed her after Harry was already at the Weasleys.

I've read stories where Tonks is a complete bitch who is fully behind the awful things that uber-manipulative!evil!Dumbledore does to Harry, but I think I've only seen Death Eater!Tonks once, outside of fics where Harry himself becomes a Death eater (which are almost universally lame).

Anyway, the DE!Tonks was in a story (on Ficwad, I believe) where Harry ended up in an alternate universe, so you can decide for yourself whether or not an AU!Tonks counts.

Pardon me while I ramble...

The author of that story, if I recall correctly, pulled a real douchebag move.

Evil!AU!Tonks was posing as an innocent victim and, apparently to keep the readers from guessing that the 'damsel in distress' was someone else in disguise, there were passages from that character's point of view where she was thinking exactly as she would if she really were who/what she appeared to be.

In fact, she was thinking things that she would/could not have thought if she were actually Tonks.

If the scene had been skipped entirely, odds were still very slim that readers would have assumed she was anything but legit, so adding a POV scene that basically made it impossible for her to be Tonks (when, in fact, it was Tonks) was not only absolute douchebaggery and a Bad Author Trick™, it was simply unnecessary.

That's not being more clever than the reader, that's flat out lying to the reader so they can't figure out what's going on. Not cool.

12. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

What a shame that this has seemingly gone from wonderfully new, to rather south in a matter of half a chapter. Fool me once and all that, truly a fail point of the story was the dooping twice in pretty much the same way.

I did like the fact that there is an underground blood sport going on...channelling Temptations of a Dark Soul, though we'll see if it can measure up soon. On that topic didn't the author state that the fluctuations in HP's magic was causing shit to spontaneously go boom when angry? what was the deal of being kept cuffed then?

13. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

It says something about the authors talent, when I don't get bothered by Idiot! Wimp!Harry.

If it happens again, I'll of course have to drag down my rating, but 4.5/5 for now.

14. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

I don't think either that Tonks had anything to do with Harry's kidnapping. (How did that idea come up, anyway?)
    Mainly because I get a strong Harry/Tonks vibe from this story, which would suit me just fine.

15. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Yeah that thought occured to me as well. Earlier in the story Harry is lighting his hands on fire and blowing stuff up, now, nothing, nada. Why the change, especially when he is furious and the magic should be going haywire?

16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I must say, apparently in contrast to basically everyone here, that I liked the fact that the Dumbledore-trick was repeated and worked this time around. I, at least, didn't really expect it to be another ploy, after all, 'they wouldn't try the same shit twice after it failed the first time, would they'?

Chapter Five felt slow and unimportant in comparison to the ones before and the new one.

The ship sounds to be too big. 500 rooms? Simply the walk that took longer than expected and the rooms mentioned would probably be enough to convey a sense of grandness.

The reason for him being kidnapped seems rather contrived. There should be more to it, even if it is only a 'I'm not telling'. Doing it just for the fun simply seems to be too 'out there'.

Also, we all know how he's going to escape, but the mention of "the scent of blood in the water" was unnecessary foreshadowing I feel.

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Didn't he mention those beasts Hagrid was training in the last chapter? It would have been better (providing that those are Harry's opponents in the next chapter) if he left all mention of the beasts out of the chapter.

If the author does choose to do that then Harry has learned a life-saving nugget of knowledge from Hagrid, and that would be an easy transition to scenes where Harry works more with Hagrid during the semester. For example, in the future, Harry may have to fight a dragon and, after a fierce battle in a pit of doom, successfully slays the beast. Now, thanks to Hagrid, he now knows how to properly remove the heartstrings of the Norwegian Ridgeback, the correct salve to apply in order to keep them firm and useful in wands, and how best to dispose of the corpse when he is finished.

You know I'm high, but the idea has merit. So, in conclusion, a Harry/Hagrid pairing is in the future, clothing optional.

But seriously, I can sense a Tonks pairing. I always wanted to read a story where Tonks is attracted to Harry because of the way he handles situations and expects great things from him. From there, she systematically seduces him into becoming a great person and taking her along for the ride. You know, like Narcissa would do, but in the form of a twenty-something young Auror.

Again, high, but the idea has merit.

18. Innomine

High Score:
    Can't say that I would be all over the Harry/Hagrid idea...

...but the honks sounds lovely. If this turns into Honks, I will be very very happy.

19. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Not sure if a permanent arrangement would work while Harry's still at school, but flirting and going perhaps quite a lot further with no strings attached would definitely be interesting.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Tonks could always become the next DADA teacher. :awesome

Hot teacher g/f FTW.