1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ectomancer by RustyRed - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

So basically any of Rowling's books?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yup. It is very similar in that way to Rowling. And just like Rowling, it's pretty enjoyable to read, full of interesting ideas. It's just that one ends up wishing that it had been more fleshed out, deeper. Frustration is the usual result of this wishing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn, that is a backhanded compliment if I ever heard one.

Yeah, I found the new chapter... interesting, but nothing great.

4. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Ug, I just can't win. It's good that people pick up on little things, cuz it means they're paying attention, but I don't think I can handle the wildly swinging opinions from one chapter to the next. Is this normal? To have such strong reactions over small things? Is anybody reading the story to enjoy what it is, rather than picking out everything that it's not?

I haven't even gotten to the meat of the story, and already I feel like giving it up as a lost cause. :( Shit.

5. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Nah don't do that, the fact that you are receiving comments shows that people are still reading and are interested. They are also taking the time to comment and try and improve it. If you weren't getting any comments their either you
    a) have no readers
    b) your readers are mindless with no ideas for improvement

You may think that some comments are harsh, but it is all meant to improve the story

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I haven't read the new chapter, but I'll do it over the day.

But in general, if you're getting strong reactions, you're doing it right. Nothing is worse than reading a story and feeling apathetic, IMO. 1,000 readers have 2,000 opinions, but in the end, it's your story, and you write it; and you can't please everyone. And well, Magical theory is Taure's hobby :p

So yeah, when I write a long, critical review, it means in 99% of all cases that I like the story enough to do that (it takes some time, after all), and perhaps hope that I can help to make it even better.

I'd say that is the case for most here.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Getting a 4.35 rating from 43 members is no measly feat. I think Taure, just like me, is frustrated by the fact that the plot is moving so slowly. If you had posted a completed story, I don't think that he would be complaining that much since he doesn't have to wait for an update. But the fact that we're looking forward to you updating is a good sign. :p

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, my actual review.

First: the paper. After all the bitching I did about the world knowing that Harry is on board the Galleon, because someone had to tell at one point, I liked that. Imagine me really satisfied here, it's realistic that there would be one. Tonks not reading it, but others some odd hours later? I can buy that, no problem.

Keeps the tension, if you don't do it too often, that is.

Then: the water spell. Found the reasoning flimsy, and I guess that is what Taure meant -- I don't see it working as using the humidity and channelling it, it's conjuring water from nowhere, and so it shouldn't have been a problem. You needed it for the plot, so meh. Don't do something like that again, and it's fine with me, others may think differently.

But perhaps you'd been off better using the excuse of Harry simply not knowing any water-spell; we see it in HBP for the first time, after all.

Finally: Harry-Malfoy ... eh, I don't see it as OOC, neither in regards to Canon!Harry, nor to how he is in your story. He didn't want to kill the Troll either. I guess, I would have let him kill Malfoy in the battle, by accident ... but once again, I'm guessing you have a reason you wanted Malfoy a) alive, and b) with Harry.

And if Harry doesn't get stuck in the "I won't kill any Death-Eater"-mindset, but continues to grow up, in hindsight the point will be moot anyway.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I don't think you can conjure water from nowhere. I liked the way she did it, conjuring up the water from the air. If you can't conjure up food from nothing, why would you be able to do that with water?

10. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

IMO, Harry's mercy can be a little overstated. JKR was writing childrens books where she couldn't have her hero murdering people left and right, and he still dropped a crucio on someone just for getting mouthy, and he was never too broken up over Quirrell's death. I just think that if you put Harry in the type of situation that JKR didn't -- where he's been starring in Spartacus and is about to get his eyes gouged out for Lucy's amusement -- it's not super-OOC to have him respond in a more murderous, less pussy forgiveness way (like just leaving him to die).

Hopefully, the point of bringing Malfoy to the alterna-world is that Harry is going to have to feed him to the dementors there to save himself and thus takes another step on the path of being less gay.

And yeah, the story's good. Maybe some people object to making wands out of blood or whatever, but I'm quite enjoying reading it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  11. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

It's bullshit that you can't conjure food. Someone can conjure up a live chicken, but can't conjure a dead and cooked one. Bologna. Giving it life should be the more impossible one.

The story's great. Don't let people discourage you.

12. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Ah, thanks guys. I guess as long as people are still interested enough to talk about it, then it's all good. I just hope that people are actually enjoying the story. :p

About conjuration and whatnot... the way I see it is that you can't create something permanent out of nothing. So in the case of say Dumbledore's infamous chairs; those are essentially illusions, which will go away once he drops the illusion. He holds it together himself.

A transfiguration or a conjuration (and this is just my interpretation as it'll happen in the story) requires you to have the right base materials available. So maybe you could conjure a chicken if you had a bag full of dirt and a bunch of water (it's a rearrangement of the right sorts of elements) but not if you just had a rock (which wouldn't have the necessary inorganic components).

Same for the water spells--if there's no water around you, where's it coming from? I think magic is absurdly convenient enough without being able to literally pull stuff out of thin air, and it makes things more difficult for the characters, too. Which is always good. :) Maybe I'm too literal-minded. Meh.

13. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All matter is made out of the same stuff at the basic level. So, couldn't you conjure anything just out of pure energy? I'd be willing to believe that you couldn't conjure out of nothing but where in the universe are you going to find nothing? Even space has crap in it; energy or otherwise.

14. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Hm, I guess that depends on how much a wizard is capable of manipulating matter, eh? Let's say that it would be possible to make a chicken out of atmospheric particles, but much more difficult than if you had the right ones in the right quantity already. It's just one less step in the process. Maybe a very skilled wizard could do it, but it would take more energy to accomplish an atmospheric chicken than what you would gain from eating said... atmospheric chicken.

I'm pretty sure I'm definitely taking too much of a non-fantasy view point on this, but I kind of have this pleasant picture of master conjurers carrying around bags of dirt.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  15. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Didn't McGonagall conjure food for HP and Ron in CoS after they had crashed the car and were in the meeting with her and Snape? Or was it house elfs?

16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The idea that a wizard with less experience / skil would have to base his conjuring / transfiguration on existing materials rather than pulling it out of thin air as a transfiguration master would be able to do has quite some appeal.

And since Harry has pretty much no experience with conjuring water from air, and probably no idea how it is supposed to work, the magic responds to his wish of having water spray from the tip of his wand - to the best of his abilities.

The amount of votes/ratings the story has received shows that there are more people out there reading/enjoying the story than there are people reviewing it. Since we are a civilisation of critics, it's far easier to say something if you have found a fault than simply saying something good.

17. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

Oh fuck off with your magical theories and objections and all that bullshit. Everyone's tired of you bleating on about it.

Rusty, I enjoyed the chapter at the very least.

18. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

this is thread is gonna go this way it seem.

I enjoyed it enough to read and recheck for new chapters.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You seem to have missed my point, so I'll explain it again for you in small words.

It is not a matter of enjoyment. I enjoyed the chapter. I said that I enjoyed the chapter. It's a matter of what quality I consider the story to be, which is a very different thing to how much I enjoyed it. And when considering quality, you have to take into account all the little details: is the world plausible? Would these events actually happen, or do I have to suspend my disbelief in order to continue?

This fic, for me, passes the enjoyment test but fails the quality test (though it's still of good enough quality for 3/5, I think).

So shut the fuck up and crawl back into whatever hole you came from.

20. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

You suspend your disbelief every time you read a piece of Harry Potter fanfiction.