1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ectomancer by RustyRed - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

That made me lol. Only the respect I have for Rusty keeps me from assuming she made a second account and defended herself.

Of course. Why settle for less?

Being harsh =/= Being not constructive. You won't believe it, perhaps, but there are some writers here (read: me) who like it that way. I wouldn't have it any other way.

And from what I saw from Rusty, she was not at all "discouraged". Because the thing here is, that when there is a 5/5 given, it is really meant that way, and worth much more than whatever one-line "lol u r teh greates evar!!!"-reviews you find at ff.net.

TL;DR: if you don't like the way things work here, go to TFF/FFA/Mugglenet/wherever not here.

And yes, I hope that she'll update soon, too.

2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Proportion is a relative term... in this case at least.

Anyway, I personally like this story. No, I don't know where the story is going or exactly what the fuck is going on, but I'm willing to endure that because the story is that good. I give it a 5/5 because I like the grittiness of it, and the fact that Harry can't do amazing wandless magic overnight.

I don't know if I've said this before, but in the event of a thirty plus chapter story, we don't need plot in the ninth chapter. We need plot build-up. Most of our great denizens are here because of Harry Potter, correct? Neither one of those books featured anything above barely-relevant-to-the-plot in the first nine chapters, if that.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This precise criticism and nitpickiness, if you want to call it that, is what I would think most authors would want.

A lot of dumbfucks like lightwater make this mistake with DLP. Shoddy work gets insults without concrit, because who cares? You can’t write, someone might be generous but otherwise, get the fuck out. A wonderful story is in the making, its potential is recognized, and people are being attentive as a result.

MacGyver!Harry ftw.

4. lightwater

lightwater First Year

Most of the reason why I said what I did was because of the above.

But see, you just said so yourself: that it is your personal preference; you have no claim to say what RustyRed's is. I'm not saying that I do either, but I think its preemptive to assume the same for her.

Also, I'd ask you to refrain from sounding so decidedly /b/ when telling someone to GTFO.

Again, assuming what other people want. All I'm saying is that the community can be a little less forward and unforgiving to an author coming to discuss his/her story with them. The fact that this sort of discussion between author and reader can happen is very nice, and I don't think you guys should (if inadvertently) scare away the authors.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

We don't give a rat's ass if Rusty wants to get her criticism in a nice and gentle way or if she wants brutal honesty. She's going to get brutal honesty no matter what the fuck she prefers. This is DLP. Brutal honesty is what we do. She knew that when she made an account here. As should all people know when they make an account here. Just because it hurts your delicate sensibilities, don't assume (like you accuse Andromalius and Sesc of doing) that she doesn't want it that way. Don't like it? Get out.

The way we do things here actually helps the author. They find out what's wrong with their story, and they can fix it. They can also get new ideas and get the plot rolling along with help from fellow authors and readers. We give actual reviews here, unlike in ff.net where the average review is, "hey, i liked it, update soon!"

See, that doesn't help the author. It might make them feel a little good, but what's the use? It doesn't point out what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong, it just states someone's opinion.

This whole point is moot anyways, I believe RustyRed does appreciate our criticism, since she did post some chapters in the Work by Author section for us to review before she posted it up on ff.net. I think it's a fair assumption to say that we didn't scare her off, quite the opposite really, she liked what she was getting and wanted to get more. So fuck you and your mugglenet ways. Go back to watching Teletubbies and drinking OJ out of a sippy cup.

Also, I'd ask you to refrain from posting until you've grown a pair of balls.

6. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

We can assume all we fucking want. It's the author who should have to adapt to the community, not the other way round. Most know this when they sign up. Those that don't, well, don't last long, like I expect you would.

Giving critical and sometimes harsh reviews and opinions is the way things work here at DLP, and the authors who stay around appreciate this. If you don't like it, you can stick to your FFN standard one-line reviews or head to other communities. Just don't expect DLP to mould itself to your tastes.

7. Sesc

Edit:
    Yes. And pray tell, how where the reactions after that statement from Rusty (including my own)? Pick one:
    A) supportive
    B) supportive

... You know, I actually had GTFO there first. I changed it because I thought, this way, it would sound more polite. Nice to see that you got my meaning still, though.

o_O How am I assuming anything if I say "me"? But to humour you: Yes, there are many authors on the board, and everyone of them likes a good, extensive, if sometimes harsh critique. How I know that? Well, every author that doesn't, isn't here anymore. Vorlon comes to mind. In fact, I think we have just for that case ... yes, here: The Vorlon-smiley.
    :vorlon
    Everything else has been said by others; I'll leave it at that.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  8. lightwater

lightwater First Year

Alright I got it. Can't beat 'em; join 'em.

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

You come here to start a revolution or something?

Anyways, I find the story to be entertaining so far.

That having been said, I find to be too much rushed action and not enough plot. There are interesting ideas in here, but they seem to get glossed over as the jumping from action to action occurs. Not much has been developed yet despite the number of interesting and original ideas. Whether they are explained and elaborated on will play a big part in how this story turns out.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Under no circumstances will you win an argument about how we do things. You do realize this right?

On the story I personally like what has been posted so far. Its different and definitely has my interest. Post more.

11. Maro

Maro Third Year

I just read through it all; very original and well written. Kind of saw the second fake Dumbledore coming a mile away but Harry has always been rather stupid so I suppose its not that unbelievable that he didn't realise.

I particularly enjoyed the fire spirit idea/dialogue and have no complaints about pacing. The foreshadowing about the ship itself seems a bit forced. In the space of 2-3 chapters the idea of the ship is introduced from scratch and immediately Harry finds himself there; I don't think it was strictly necessary to introduce the location before Harry finds himself there.

I think the criticism about a seeming lack of plot isn't really valid. This story is from Harry's point of view exclusively. Harry has no goals particularly at the moment other than a bit of researching so it makes sense that the story just seems to be going from one random event to the next. Until Harry himself actually has a plan of action I don't think you can expect to be able to discern an overall plot arc, especially when this story appears to be embracing the thriller/mystery elements.

In conclusion I'd say very good and one of the most original I've read for a while. 5/5 unless you go and make Harry pregnant or something. 6/5 if you go for a Harry/River Spirit or Harry/Brain pairing :p

12. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Wow dudes and babes, it's been a while huh? I appreciate the support in every form, whether it be hard core or soft :)P), as long as it's actually telling me something rather than blowing smoke up my ass, hehe.

As far as the story goes, well... I'm afraid I forgot to mention that I was doing nanowrimo (and I swear to god I must have written that note and then erased it or something) so that's been keeping me pretty occupied. Then I had finals and now I'm finally getting some time to actually sit down this break and build up a nice bit of momentum.

So, long story short, no worries--the story is still on the tracks. Keep ya eyes peeled, my friends. :D

edit: Maro, I'm actually planning to get Harry pregnant BY the river spirit, so...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  13. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. I admittedly haven't read the latest chapters, and have honestly forgotten most of this story, but What. The. Fuck.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Wait. What. Mpreg? :S

15. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

My sarcasm senses are tingling. Mind you they don't have a terribly great record of accuracy on the net for some reason.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I sense teh sarcasmz!

Either way, I was just thinking about this fic yesterday, when I was reading the latest chapter of Measure for Measure, wondering what had happened.

Nice to see its back on track, and am looking forward to the next few chapters.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Has anyone put up Measure for Measure in the review section yet? I read it last week and it seemed like a pretty decent story so far. I just saw the update, which I am now going to read.

and ttt for Ectomancer update.

18. Sesc

Yeah, it's in the Recycling Bin.

Also; awesome, Rusty. Can't wait :)

19. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

I love it. Some of the descriptions were a bit odd and didn't seem to flow right, but that was just minor stuff. I like where the story's going, and how it's been going along- moreover, I enjoy that it's not careening into the void at breakneck velocity- it's not methodically slow- but it's moving at a speed that lets you enjoy the ride.

I'll admit, the part where Harry ends up on the ship was a bit... dry. Everything else has wonderful descriptions, but that part just feels a bit awkward.

The pitfight was fun enough, and the river spirit was hillarious. Especially the River Spirit/Thames Spirit interaction near the end there.

In any case, I suspect many things for this story- there are innumerable chekov's guns floating around that I can't wait to see get picked up again.

And anyways- the story makes me laugh. That's the most I can ask from any story- if it's not entertaining, then it doesn't matter how well written the piece is.

4.5/5- that'll go to a 5/5 if the updates continue to pour in :p

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quite a good chapter, this one. I'd thought this fic was all but abandoned too so it was a pleasant surprise to see it in my update folder.

More of a filler than anything I guess, but it's set the groundwork for several plot points and made me just that bit more curious about the blood wand and the Other Side.