1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ectomancer by RustyRed - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Oct 9, 2008.

1. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Great chapter. I only hope the next one doesn't take as long.

2. random-adam

random-adam Muggle

Agreed. Nice how you end this chapter with so few words yet create so many possibilities.

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

So awesome. I had thought the story abandoned for a while, glad to see it's not. This chapter was just as good as the other ones, and the talking to Spirits thing is fucking awesome.

4. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Approve. I was waiting for an update for a while on this one too.

The adults are even more amazingly worthless than usual in HP stories (after they fail to protect him from re-kidnapping and he fights his way back sans any help they let Fudge screw him over?). But it seems this is heading towards Harry realizing how useless Dumbledore and crew are and telling them to fuck off. And the entire other world thing is just cool.

5. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I read all available chapters in one go and some things do not seem to be well thought. For example, Harry cannot be accused of anything that has been done on international waters because they are not under British jurdistriction. I also didn't like Harry's "I gotta save 'em all" stance, but I guess I can't hold this against the story.

There is this old saying "Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me." that none of characters seem to know. Seriously, having Dumbledore trick work twice is just plainly retarded.

Despite all that, I liked this story and am waiting for updates. My rating would be 4/5.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Keep on keeping on. The story is interesting, and... Vigilante!Harry? That's a winner.

7. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I give this one a 4/5. I liked where he went with a few of the different elements of the story, like the river spirit. And the table-leg wand made me snicker a little.

8. Sophie

Sophie Denarii Host

I'm so curious as to where this story is going to be taken! The 'talking to spirits' -thing is really unique. And the blood wand? Awesomeness in a jar! 4.75/5 from me.

9. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Ohoho man, you guys have no effin idea... Bwarhahaar! Jk. But seriously.

Thanks for all the awesome feedback, you guys! I was sort of worried people wouldn't be too keen on the whole 'other side' and spirits and stuff, so I'm glad it's acceptable. :p

Um, question: is it getting cumbersome to keep all the plot points in mind, or am I doing okay with keeping things, you know, manageable? Have there been any times where I mentioned something and you were like, 'what? when did that happen?'

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd seriously write a timeline out. Will all the plots and everything, its a great way to keep track of stuff.

11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't think I've ever read something in your fic and been like "Where the fuck did that come from?" so you seem to be going in the right direction, as far as that is concerned. But yeah, a timeline would be super useful, or just a Wordpad document with the basics in it so that you know when to initiate each sequence of events, just so you avoid ever fucking up.

You're not allowed to screw this story up, btw. We'll find you.

12. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

13. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed the chapter as a whole, but Voldemort's temper tantrums were over the top to be honest.

14. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Hehe, well, I figure Harry only sees through voldemort's eyes when he's feeling strong emotions, right? And, let's face it, the dude is surrounded by people grossly lacking in skill compared to himself, plus he's so far been unsuccessful in what he's trying to do. That'd piss me off. :p

15. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

True, but I think you give too little credit to the Death Eaters.

It's one of the few sore points of the story - the typical, cliched view of Voldemort and his followers. Never in canon does it mention him having recruits and fresh-faced followers.

The Death Eaters aren't some fraternity where you just get recruited and join. Most of the members in canon are the Inner Circle, and a few select lower members who are deadly in their own right (Barty Crouch Jr, etc).

Don't make them incompetent children. They are a small, effective organization.

16. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Small and highly effective. They took over the bloody ministry in a couple of months, so yeah, they're pretty fucking good.

17. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Awesome chapter, damn it took me a while for me to get into this fic but now I can't get out.

18. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Amerision & Cxjenious: Hm, duly noted. We haven't really seen much of what Voldemort and his inner circle are up to yet--he's off doing his thing while they manage certain affairs back in Britain, so it's not like they aren't doing anything. There's stuff going on--it's just hard for me to figure out how to shine a light on their activities without adding yet another pov character (I dunno, I'd like to keep it mostly Harry with a little Tonks thrown in here and there). I'll have to think about how to do it, because if they're competent, no one should know what they're doing but themselves, right?

But now that I know it's a concern, I'll be diligent in making sure they come across as a viable threat from now on. :p

ZeroTheDestroyer: Eexcellent *rubs hands together* What put you off for so long? Was it the first chapter? It was the first chapter, wasn't it? Damn that worn-out old opening... "It was another boring summer day at the Duursleys, and Harry was saaad... and ANGRY!"

19. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Err I hate mind readers!

Yeah I was assuming it was going to be another HP gets angry and pulls off a superman complete with the blue suit and cape.

I was confused as hell what to make of the title Ectomancer, what was supposed to be looking out for ecto like blood? ecto like fluid? Ectoplasm? Plasmids? Protein chain molecules?

I sure as hell didn't see molecules involved!

Yeah great chapter should have read this earlier, but then I find myself eating my own words for so many fics that I stop at chapter 2.

20. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Conversely, look at how incompetent the ministry is in canon. Taking it over in a few months is no big accomplishment.