1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Eidolonic's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Eidolonic, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Hi.

This was a plot bunny inspired by CheddarTrek's post here.

Specifically:

My initial thought was that it could spawn some pretty interesting action scenes. And it could! But then I was inspired by Sorrows and her incredible fic from Dudley's perspective.

Seeing the wonders of the magical world for the first time all over again is a truly magical experience in that story, told well, and self-contained.

My challenge is this:

Showcase the horrors of the magical world, instead. Write about Death Eaters attacking a muggle theme park while Harry is there (the Dursleys are irrelevant, he can be there on a date or something if you choose), from the perspective of a muggle.

Experience the confusion, the terror, the dawning understanding, potentially grief and loss as the muggle, and others, are caught in the crossfire as the war spills over.

I have a specific ending in mind, but you certainly don't have to follow it. If you're curious, PM me and I'll lay out the vision I had, but am not capable of writing. But just try to keep this all self-contained, with the priority being in the small details so we truly experience the magical world for the first time. Just not the good side of it.

2. Stan

Stan Order Member

I like the idea of a muggle being caught in a magical attack, though I think Death Eaters don't begin to capture the horrors of the magical world when creatures like dementors are around. Harry also seems shoehorned into the story; there is really no reason for him to be there.

I would like to see the HBP Brockdale bridge attack through from a muggle PoV. There are supposed to be giants involved in that attack, and dementors too, which should suitably display the majesty and horror of the magic world better than a normal Death Eater attack.