1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nuit, May 4, 2012.

1. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Just saw the first screen shot... It doesn't look good for it.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I couldn't be less interested in this. Skyrim is boring and quite unremarkable to me, so this will only exemplify that.

3. redshell

redshell Order Member

Wait... what? New Vegas uses the Gamebryo engine, which Bethesda created. Thus, they are to blame for any bugs that come up, in any game that uses Gamebryo. The whole purpose of the Creation engine was to make Bethesda look good. "Hey, we made an entirely new engine, now stop bitching about Gamebryo." Cool story, bro. Skyrim has bugs, too.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

All bugs are not a consequence of the game engine. Sure, the bugs from Fallout 3 that the engine is responsible for, have remained.

However, New Vegas had a host of other bugs that eclipsed Fallout 3's bugs by both number and severity. The Obsidian CEO specifically apologized for New Vegas's bugs. As even a cursory search would show, there are many games that use Gamebryo, and they do not have all of New Vegas's bugs. Or any of the same bugs, in some cases. You really should just try and make a slight effort towards not completely talking out of your ass.

It's completely irrelevant anyway, as you're still attempting to deflect from my question of why you seem morally outraged that you still don't enjoy another installment in a game series that you have never enjoyed.

5. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

*stares*

*cocks head to the side*

So Valve is responsible for every bug in every game ever made in Source?

Actually, let's take this a step further back. The UnReal engine is what a truly fucking staggering amount of games were based off of for about five or six years. Epic is responsible for all of the bugs of major titles from '99 to '04ish?

Dude, you're a fucking idiot.

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Fucking thank you.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really don't care about bethesda's shortcomings. TES have never once made me regret spending the money I did on them.

I've never played a MMO and don't have a computer powerful enough to play one even decently. I was just never interested.

I've scrapped my holiday plans and am now saving up for a decent desktop. Simply for this.

8. coleam

coleam Death Eater

One thing this has going for it is that the TES worldlends itself very well to MMOs. There are dungeons (that can repopulate, no less), it's an open gameworld, and there's ready fodder for quests. Heck, you could just take Skyrim, make it bigger, throw it on a server, and call it an MMO, and it would be on par with a great deal of MMOs on the market today.

I've got high hopes for this, so long as they don't try to make it a story-centric MMO (a la SWTOR).

9. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Save up, build a monster. You won't regret it for a second.

They would barely need to make quests. The players would generate enough conflict themselves.

10. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

My question is how Redshell can honestly say that Skyrim didn't deserve GotY when he didn't play it. That's just asinine. Utterly asinine.

You can say there were such great games that came out that you would be awed if Skyrim was honestly better, but nothing past that.

As to the MMO. Those look like some shitty graphics. I'm playing Tera right now, which is beautiful and has amazing gameplay (though launch was balls), and I just can't imagine a playing an MMO after Tera with such shitty graphics, even if those aren't close to final.

11. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Most annoying thing about this is the people all over the internet discussing how they think they should be making TESVI instead, or that they hope this doesn't affect development of Fallout 4. Likewise, Bethesda's history has little to no relevance at all here - the fact that previous TES games have been buggy or had bad stories doesn't really mean anything relevant to this MMO.

I've said it a billion times in regards to New Vegas, and I'll have to say it another billion about this MMO - BETHESDA GAME STUDIOS ISN'T MAKING THIS. Its being made by an entirely different developer, on an entirely different engine. It won't have any effect on what BGS is doing. Even though Bethesda games have been buggy or had subpar writing in the past, doesn't mean this game will (not saying it won't, it is an MMO after all).

So yeah, this probably doesn't apply to the majority of you, but I had to vent a little at seeing some of the discussion here and around the internet.

Also, can somebody post a picture of these screenshots you're talking about? I've seen people claiming screenshots of Morrowind were leaked screens of it...

By the way, I'm hardly an expert on TES lore around this period, but does a Nord-Dunmer-Argonian alliance seem a little strange to anyone else?

12. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Extremely, but I've got a gap in my understanding that stretches from Red Mountain to Talos, so for all I know this was all established as canon back in Arena.

13. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Only one screen so far, here. Two dudes fighting two stone dudes.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

To be fair though, Beth doesn't put out press releases nonstop about how much you're going to love feature 1-10, and then zero of those awesome features are in the game, like Lionhead does.

And yeah, TES games without mods = boring as shit.

15. Torric

Torric Third Year

I was gonna bitch about how unlike Storm Atronarchs they look; then I googled the Oblivion ones and they're pretty similar.

Still; makes me sad that it's gonna be a backpedal in terms of appearance/animation for mobs.

Fixed that for you because the Fallout games (yeah I'm listing Vegas under Bethesda as well) are pretty much the same. The only one I did more then one play through without mods is Morrowind.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  16. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Actually New Vegas was pretty damn good even without mods, imo. Better than most rpgs, but that aint exactly hard anymore.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Fallout games have always been alittle sparse. The various "random" encounters have always more then made up for it though.

18. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

NO!

Why are they doing this - didn't they already see what happened to TOR when the KOTOR series tried to extrapolate itself into MMO territory? I've been looking at some of the screenshots on gamespot and it doesn't look so good.

I'm so tired of games saying that I'm going to enjoy them much more because I'll be interacting with other players. I'll be honest - I don't play RPGs to interact with other players, I play RPGs to immerse myself in the world and get interested in the lore and characters. If I want player-player interaction I'll go play one of the fifteen rehashed versions of Call of Duty.

I can understand the financial lure of an MMO, but they're almost always terrible games. Every company just tries to dump WoW into their own universe, and I didn't even enjoy WoW that much. I either play video-games solo, or with a friend by my side. I played WoW/TOR solo and I hated that so much of the game is multiple player focused. I just don't enjoy the element of interacting with random people whenever online in games - it bores me.

I'm so sad. Sure Bethesda games aren't perfect, but now that Bioware's gone down the crapper, they're the only non-independent large scale developer/publisher whose games I'm actually willing to pay for. Looks like that won't be the case soon.

19. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

I'm almost certainly not going to play this. Without mods I might be entertained for a week at best, so I'm probably going to quietly ignore it like I have all the other Elder Scrolls spinoff titles. Hopefully it'll either be absolutely amazing, or it'll die a pitiful and quick death.

20. coleam

coleam Death Eater

1. MMOs are, by nature multiplayer-focused. You really shouldn't complain about a game being focused on multiplayer when the word is in the name. Don't like them, don't play them.

2. TES is better-suited to an MMO than TOR - the comparison is not particularly apt. TOR is a highly story-driven franchise - you can't advance in the game without playing the story. They tried to carry this over into the MMO, but once people hit the end of the story, there was nothing left to do. On the other hand, all of the TES games are very MMO-like to begin with. While it has a story, you aren't obligated to play it. You could fairly easily get to maximum level without ever doing the story quests (apart from the obligatory "beginner's area"), and the world is completely open, with respawning enemies. That's not a guarantee that this will make a good MMO, but it definitely has a better shot than TOR.