1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls (Skyrim)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Erandil, Nov 23, 2016.

1. TheBurningBagel

TheBurningBagel Second Year

High Score:
    The Shadows Rising

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/9487894/1/The-Shadows-Rising

Bad name for a pretty decent fic. Doesn't have much in the way of lore but it's got some decent action scenes and decent characters, including a thief!dragonborn with a pretty cool interpretation of some cannon abilities, saying more would probably be spoilers.

Unfortunately it looks to have been abandoned but it's a decent time waster. I'd give it a 3/5.

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Just blew through this in like two days based on the recs in this thread, and damn. I know I'm into a fic when I'm mentally counting the chapters I have left, and when I'm on the last one I'm constantly checking the scroll bar to see how much is left.

Velandryn is the first protagonist in a while that I've genuinely liked. He practically lives in that middle ground of cool, intelligent, but flawed, makes mistakes, that just screams "get invested in this character."

I even found myself enjoying things like Lydia's trip to Morrowind, and sections like that in the hands of lesser authors are prime fodder for skimming.

I haven't been this disappointed not to be able to keep reading in a while.

If anyone has any "if you liked this fic, you'll like X" recs, hit me up, because I was really taken with this one.

3. Newcomb

Dragon From Ash just dropped a 30K word update.

Haven't been this pumped to read something in a while. I know what I'm doing when I get home from work today!

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I literally fistpumped and shouted "Yes!" at the dinner table.

What has my life become.

5. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'm still on chapter 17 still. I just stopped reading when Vel decided the servants entrance would be the path to take. I just get vicariously embarrassed for others when I feel like might get caught in some form of deceit. I'll try to push through that for the sake of this story which I really like.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually that portion of the chapter is done and dusted qicker than expected. It's the end of the chapter that is pure gold. Elisef is waifu.

7. Manavz

Manavz Second Year

8. Karling

Karling Squib

High Score:
    I recall this being pretty well-written, and it is quite original. It's one of the few Miraak-centric fics I've seen that isn't a oneshot.

9. Newcomb

Dragon From Ash really needs to be in the library. It's seriously better than some actual novels I've read. It's a step above a lot of "professional fanfiction" like some Star Wars or Star Trek EU novels.

There are so many parts of it that you don't even notice could have been terrible in the hands of a worse author - like this last chapter, near the end, that conversation Vel and Serana have about how she was turned. I mean holy god can you imagine the bad version of that scene?

But no, this was just... good.

Almost everything about this story hits an extremely pleasant middle ground. Velandryn is extremely likeable without being too perfect. The writing is expansive and detailed without groaning under its own weight.

I'll make a review thread this weekend if I get the chance, actually.

10. LispyLizard

LispyLizard Squib

High Score:
    While this fic certainly doesn't compare to Dragon from Ash, I still found it an enjoyable enough read. It features an Argonian Dragonborn, which in my opinion allows far more interesting interactions with the characters of the game. I think it juggles multiple perspectives very well and has some interesting characters. Though do be warned, the author hasn't updated some of their early chapters which don't have the best grammar.