1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls V

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's not like virtually every person posting here did not play games outside of their age group once upon a time.

2. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

There's an age group for games? :confused: I just played anything that entertained me, and was taught some important life lessons as a result.

3. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

You'd know if you were playing a game of TF2 and a 12 year old started shouting on mic. :(

4. Styx0444

Elder Scrolls, dude. Single player only, unless they've fucked that up too.

That said, I really wish their was a button that makes them have to beat silver surfer before they can continue, every time they do that.

5. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Oh God, that game...

Did you ever actually beat that? I sure as hell never did.

6. Styx0444

Nope. I've only ever seen it done twice, and once was on youtube. But at least the little idiots would have a good damn reason to rage quit, for once.

7. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Gogo turbo controller!:awesome
    (Or at least that's what the Youtube user that showed beating the game took advantage of.)

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Did the developers ever explain why argonians can survive in the far north? Being cold blooded, and all?

9. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

[yt]u1El5j2Bg4c[/yt]

Second top rated comment portrays my opinion perfectly.

10. Styx0444

Not as far as I know, though there's apparently books that mention them being in Skyrim. I've heard answers thrown around in a couple places ranging from speculation that they're warm-blooded (based on a comment one supposedly in the Bruma fighter's guild made regarding fur boots) to it being natural magic caused by Hist sap, because Argonians are apparently part tree. :confused:

So no, not a clue.

11. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

They're apparently not actually cold blooded I believe. I read it on one of the wiki's.

12. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One DLP Supporter

From what I know of animal-ology, warm-blooded + mammaries = Mammals. Guess they ain't really reptiles.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's much more to animal-ology than that... Prepare for THE SCIENCE OF LIFE!

There are two sets of two that can be used to describe bloodedness (that's a word as of now) in animals. Warm/cold-blooded actually refers to endo/ectothermy respectively. Endotherms control their own body temperature, often through metabolic processes, or through shivering. Ectotherms have to regulate their environment to control their body temperature, through processes such as basking. Endotherms can use the environment or behavior to control their temperature (such as drinking something warm, or sitting in the shade), but are not limited to this as their only means, which is what separates these two.

The other set is homeo/poikilothermy. A homeotherm maintains a thermal homeostasis. Think of yourself - your body temperature will probably fall between 36.5 and 37.5 C. Normally, the maintained temperature is slightly higher than the external environment, and the energy production of the animal is constant. A poikilotherm has a range over which its body can cope, although energy production also varies with temperature.

Here is a nice graph:

So what does that mean?

As tropical, non-desert mammals, we evolved in an environment that can have shifts over the course of 24 hours, but very little change over a year period - the temperature is fairly constant. This awesome fellow, on the other hand, evolved in a situation where he may freeze, and so is poikilot'c to the degree (gettit?) where he can SURVIVE FREEZING. That'r right, that frog is a superhero.

As ectot's don't have to expend energy to maintain a metabolic level, they can have a larger population density than endot's, but are also easily out-competed by endot's, as endot's do not need to wait for the environment to raise the metabolism - they wake up and can start hunting/grazing.

Back to The Elder Scrolls:
    The Black Marsh is tropical jungle, although bordered by quite a bit of sea. With an assumed normally high temperature, Argonians could have evolved as ectotherms, as reptiles do, or as endotherms, as we did in a similar situation. However, running a large brain is very energy intensive, and neurons need quite a bit of oxygen. This suggests that the Argonian race, is, in fact, endothermic.

This may mean that Argonians don't actually fit into class Reptilia.
    However, my brother summed this up perfectly for me when I explained why classification doesn't always work (Hello there platypus and your conundrums):
    When we classify organisms, we fit them into boxes, but boxes have set boundaries, and spectrum does not.

Also, reptiles are "Any of various cold-blooded vertebrates of the class Reptilia, having skin covered with scales or horny plates, breathing air with lungs, and usually having a three-chambered heart. Unlike amphibians, whose eggs are fertilized outside the female body, reptiles reproduce by eggs that are fertilized inside the female" (Dictionary.com).

Argonians could easily fit most of these.

TL;DR
    They're like platypuses. In that they are odd, and you should accept science.

Alternatively...
    Magic/Gods let them.

14. Styx0444

Alright, so what happens when you factor in the fact that the Argonian race may or may not be the children of a species of hyper intelligent magic tree that possesses both a hive mind and individual thought?

15. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You know, plant-animal kingdom crossing isn't something I've ever thought about. I'll get to work on that, but in the mean time, send out the Taure-signal for more TL;DR awesome.

16. Jericho

Jericho Sixth Year

Lot of people reporting details from their own hands-on experiences over at the Bethesda forums.

One guy in particular tried to list as many perks as he could and it's looking like my full Altmeri mage will be nigh on unstoppable.

My Body is Ready

17. Styx0444

Some cool stuff, though I'm disappointed that they changed the racial abilities. It's not a big deal (though changing what ancestor guardian does is a bit weird), it just means I'll have to relearn some of the mechanics.

18. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Got my PC preorder in, and was told I get a physical glossy paper map when I pick up my game, so excited.

19. Styx0444

So those aren't just going to come in the box with the game this time? o_O

20. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

I preordered too. When I get the map, I'm framing it and putting it on the wall above my PC. :awesome