1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls V

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Is there a PhD in TES lore and Raine is their patron god? Blew my mind. If I had you as a physic teacher in my highschool I would be in fucking Harvard. Excellent way to explain such a hard thing. Thanks too, it's been some time since I wanted to learn about TES creation lore.

2. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

Why is there so much certainty the Nevarine was a Shezzarine?

3. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

Also,
    I'm not going to consider it canon, but you're free to do so if you wish. TESO is being handled by Zenimax, which is Bethesda's parent company, and not Bethesda itself. They're already making tons of mistakes and contradictions in the lore, like drawing up the lines for the war in completely illogical ways just because they're too lazy to have the game be a war between providences that don't all immediately touch each other, or the fact that The Lusty Argonian Maid is present in the game, even though it won't be written for at least eight hundred years.

And they didn't have to make Ayrenn 27 years old. That's absolutely retarded, even by child-ruler standards, because Altmer develop slower to go along with their age. She should literally be a toddler, and not just a subjective toddler when compared to adult Altmer. Them putting the crown on her head and asking her to rule them is literally like making a baby in a crib President or Prime Minister and then seriously asking them to tell you what to do next.

They could have at least made her 80 or something. Incredibly young by Altmer empress standards, but still reasonably old enough to form coherent sentences and understand politics.

They made a lot of stupid decisions for TESO, and that combined with the fact that all screenshots and stories of what the game has to offer are so very generic, I don't see it as being a success when it drops. It certainly isn't going to remain pay-to-play for very long. It'll die if it doesn't go FTP in six months.

If one wanted to be an asshole about it, one could argue that, because it's not being made by Bethesda, it isn't a true Elder Scrolls game, and thus is not canon that way. But honestly, I'd much prefer it to be shunned because it brings little to the table and causes too many unsolvable problems in the lore, timeline, and historical politics of the regions involved.

The only things that might be reasonably interesting to come out of it are all of the Argonian stuff that will supposedly come up, and that some of Kirkbride's stuff from the C0DA is going to show up, or at least be mentioned.

But then, I'll just call the C0DA canon, and tell Zenimax to fuck off. So there's that.

Because Vivic all but outright stated in the Sermons that the 'true' Nevarine, i.e. the one that would actually pass the trials and become the Nevarine, would have to be one for them to succeed. And we succeeded, so it would apply to us when playing Morrowind.

I could explain, but half of it would just be blatantly copying what fallingawkwardly posted about it. Basically, at least a fifth of the Sermons are using couched poetic language and obfuscating words to explain what the hell a Shezzarine is, and then he uses the same descriptors to describe the traits that the Nevarine would have.

Also, the Nevarine is the most blatantly obvious example of mantling we've seen that wasn't outright confirmed like Talos. Remember all those things you had to go through just like Lord Neverar did? And it was terribly important that you do all of those things, just the way he did them once upon a time, because it would supposedly confer upon you some sort of mystic power that only belongs to the Nevarine? That was you blurring the lines between your character and Lord Neverar until the world couldn't tell the difference between you, and conflated you into being the same entity.

We don't know for a fact that you mantled Neverar, because they never outright came and said "you mantled Lord Neverar," but it's extremely obvious that that's what happened.

And you were almost certainly a Shezzarine. I'd argue that every player character was a Shezzarine, but even if they weren't, the Nevarine is by far the most likely candidate to be one.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  4. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Ah, and that's the old rage filled ranting Raine that I know and love. Can you explain to me what in the fuck happened to the orcs? Abd what you said about Azura?

5. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

This makes me want to read a harry potter fanfic borrowing these ideas heavily with Rowling as the godhead and Harry achieving CHIM as the power he knows not.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, nah. I've grown to be fine with certain TES lore concepts, but the idea of everything just being a dream is still a major sticking point.

7. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

I think you need to look at it from a different perspective. Look at like the philosophical arguments about what it would mean if the universe was a computer simulation.

I'm not eloquent enough to portray these ideas, but I read a good one a while back about how for the simulant the fact that the universe is artificial is irrelevant because foe them it's the only real universe they will ever know. When I get off work I'll try and find an article on it.

8. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Don't worry, I'm sure one of our resident know-it-alls is just itching to come in and make up for it. But it won't change the fact that I think it's a stupid idea, regardless of what world it's applied to.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I'm genuinely curious, can someone be a know-it-all without being pretentious? What does it even mean when you say someone is a pretentious something. Does it mean that they pretend to know what they know despite the fact that they know it?

I've seen that term used a lot and I can't usually quite figure out what it means exactly.

10. Lord Raine

It means he doesn't personally like that person, and is trying to make them look objectively bad.

11. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I was going to say "pretentious assholes" but thought that was going a bit far, so I changed it at the last minute and didn't read through it properly. But don't let that get in the way of you being a snide cunt, I know you relish in the opportunity.

12. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Just one sticking point, Raine. Nerevarine. Not Nevarine.

/loregeek

Shezarrines are legendary figures like Talos, Ysmir and Tiber Septim, so it's theoretically possible for the player to be on that level, but I somehow doubt it.

13. Lord Raine

I'm not the one being a snide cunt right now, m80. People knowing more than you do about something isn't pretentious, it's called life. The only thing that's pretentious is assuming that the people who know more about something than you do are being pretentious simply for knowing those things and sharing it with others. So step off.

Shezarrines are manifestations of the will of Lorkhan. The Unknown Agent solved the Numidium crisis, the Nerevarine Mantled Lord Nerevar, defeated a physical god, and destroyed the Heart of Lorkhan with reality-warping Dwemer relics, the Hero of Kvatch saved Tamriel from the Oblivion Crisis, killed Umaril for real where Pelinal failed to do so, and became a Daedric Prince, and the Dragonborn is, well, the Dragonborn.

But surprisingly enough, those airs don't actually matter at all. Shezarrines are little bits and pieces of Lorkhan's will. That's it. They don't have to be great kings or mighty champions. They're just the people who are in incredibly convenient places to do precisely the correct thing in exactly the right time.

Destroying gods? Dealing with Daedra? Inheriting Mantles? That's not what makes a Shezarrine a Shezarrine.

Shezarrines aren't evidenced by their own personal deeds or actions. They don't necessarily have a spotlight shone on them. They aren't demigods. They're agents of a higher power. Coincidence and happenstance folds itself around them.

You're conflating being a Shezarrine with possessing CHIM. Talos, Tiber Septim, and Ysmir are all the same being (now, if they weren't before), and they attained CHIM.

14. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Okay, be straight with me.

Is Elder Scrolls Inception?

15. Lord Raine

There are other dreams inside the dreams. The people being dreamed can in turn dream dreams that create other worlds, which are full of people, who can then in term potentially be Dreamers. We don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes, and we don't know if there's anything 'above' us but even more layers of dreaming.

So no. It's not Inception. It's Inception raised to an unknown power of Inceptions.

But this newest revelation does at least imply that Anu is the 'top' of the chain, by claiming he was the 'first' Amaranth. So until we get confirmation that the Scarab is the 'second,' and not just 'another,' it's Inception raised to the X power, and not simply Inception squared.

16. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

So I've been trying to read up on the Elder Scrolls lore and I'm trying to find info on Sotha Sil and his clockwork city. The Wiki says he built the city in an attempt to "forge the future" and "reshape the world", has this ever been expanded on or explained?

17. TSN

TSN Auror

They should remake all the tes game up at skyrim graphic standard

18. Lord Raine

All of them? Eh.

Morrowind?

There isn't enough money in the world.

19. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

20. Lord Raine

That's what I'm referring to. People tried to recreate Morrowind in Oblivion. That was Morroblivion. Now they're trying to do it in Skyrim. That's Skywind.

When your fanbase decides to rise up and create the game for you, or create a fansite, spoilerpage, and invent an entire alien language and alphabet to encrypt the place in, there's a possibility that the product has a market that wants it.

Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps.