1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Enter the Dragon by Doghead Thirteen - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Palver, Dec 19, 2009.

1. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

Was reading this last night...and into this morning.

I like long chapters, prefer them actually, but there IS such a thing as TOO long.

Also, I agree with others, Harry remains oddly ignorant in many ways despite reading so many books and having a perfect memory. You'd think his vocabulary would be a bit better, but apparently not.

And repeating and repeating the same thing over and over is annoying annoying.

2.5 stars, I'll round up to 3 though.

2. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

About the vocabulary: I know an eight year old who audits university courses and probably knows more math than your average, say, second year math major...

Some parts of the way he talks are very childish. For example, he frequently uses the word ``thingy,'' (often topic-thingy) even when he knows the right word. And still manages to discuss absurdly advanced topics. Of course, the way he talks probably seems more childish because he has a really childish voice and sometimes jumps around while you talk to him instead of facing you.

But he does know the words, unlike Harry apparently.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed it. 4/5

3. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

On another note, Enter The Dragon has just passed a MAJOR Moral Event Horizon. I'm going to quote the section of text from the yahoo group that pushed it over the edge. The full snippit can be found HERE.

The inclusion of slavery of muggleborn children all but guarantees war between the magical and non-magical government within the UK at this point. There is no way the non-magical government would tolerate another government, on its own soil no less, killing UK citizens in order to kidnap their children and sell them into sexual slavery. The Statue of Secrecy be damned, no sane government would allow that sort of shit to continue unless it was corrupt as hell, or utterly defenseless against its oppressors (and the UK is not a 'weak' nation militarily).

4. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahhhhahahahahahaha.

I knew something was weird with this story but what the hell?

5. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

And I was just beginning to enjoy it. Pity.

6. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ... Yeah. If you've read doghead's other stuff (it's pretty good) you'll learn that he hasn't ever heard of the moral event horizon. In his Harry Johnson fics, Harry buys slaves, shoots people he doesn't like, and mind controls people for fun. Oh, and he kidnaps women and makes them his sex slaves, but since everyone I know does that, its probably okay.

7. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I thought everyone kidnapped women and made them into their sex slaves, so why wouldn't it be normal?

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

This is...

Terribly disappointing.

I was so looking forward for this story to be continued as a humorous "Harry does whatever he wants because he can," but now it seems that the author wants to suck all of the humor out of it and turn it into an overblown "good vs. diabolically evil" story.

Gah. I hate it when authors choose what is easy over what is right in their stories.

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I don't have a problem with using slavery as a plot device. I look forward to seeing where he goes with it.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Yeah, but he's a dragon in that one too, and that's just part and parcel of the dragon lifestyle, apparently.

His 'property' seem to enjoy both their status and the jobs they do. Unrealistic? Perhaps, but then so is Hogwarts being the galaxy's greatest collegium arcanum. :)

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Reading his Harry is like reading Speed Racer. It's really goddamn annoying.

Other than that, I'm interested enough to see where it goes. 3/5.

12. wahi

wahi Guest

enjoyed this story a lot, waiting for more

5/5

13. Intelligo

Intelligo Squib

I was saddened to see some of the light-heartedness of the first chapter go away, but I still really enjoy this story.

Doghead's defining quality is the uniqueness and intensity of his works. While it might be easy to write off the massive list of weaponry and vehicles in Johnson, if you pay attention you can tell he puts a lot of consideration into what he's doing.

I don't know any other author that is as personally invested as him, at least without writing a straight self-insert.

5/5

14. lanceavalon

lanceavalon Seventh Year

As you can see there will be little chance of a slavers market in the back of a pet shop.

However I am truthfully hoping for a timeskip into the shadowrun timeline after he kills the snakefaced bastard.

15. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The author has posted some interesting details about where this fic is going on the CaerAzkaban Yahoo group which he uses for WbA purposes. I'm copy-pasting some so people will know.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CaerAzkaban/message/133899
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CaerAzkaban/message/133939
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CaerAzkaban/message/134110
    Basically, the wizarding industry is fueled by muggleborn slave labor, when ley-line nodes are released and...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CaerAzkaban/message/134110
    So yeah, the fluffy feeling of the first chapter was not indicative of the things to come.

16. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think I was a bigger fan of this story when I just thought it was a serious attempt at Harry turning himself into a dragon, why'd the author have to introduce this SRSFKCINBZNS Shadowrun stuff?

17. Wingthesword

Wingthesword Squib

I'm actually really looking forward to all this stuff.

18. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter