1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

EVE Online: Quantum Rise

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Zombie, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

More Info:
    Link

Okay, so while browsing /vg/ I came across this.

Thoughts?

I know, as a fan of Sins of a Solar Empre, I can't help be freak out over this... I love games like this.

Also, Mindless, or anyone else that plays SoaSE, did that ship at 1:18 not look like a Proginiter Mother ship, or what?

Summary: :awesome

2. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    EvE.

Oh God, that brings back memories.

EvE is like no game you've ever played that's for sure, it's more complex than any other game, more unintuitive, and in a lot of cases, more boring.

It claims there is no grind i seem to remember, and technically yes, to improve your skills there is no grind, just months of waiting.

But to get any sort of money in the game you need to grind missions or mine for hours on end.

The politics is what most people enjoy, the massive alliance wars, people screwing other people over for $170000 worth of in game currency. As a solo game, EvE is not that great but in a big group, with the right resources, it can be a riot.

EDIT: The Ship at 1:18 was the Gellente Titan, one of four of the most expensive ships in the game. To train for a Titan takes a year real time, for minimum specs. To buy a titan costs upwards of 100 billion in game currency, I believe there are approximately 50 in game now, most of which belong to two alliances.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  3. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm confused as to how in game money translates to out of game money. Is there an official place that you can buy in game money and sell it or is it just based on what most people would sell it for?

4. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Well, there is always ebay.

But yes, there is an official transfer, or sorta official transfer.

The game offers you the option of buying game timecards instead of a subscription, and these timecards can then be sold directly ingame for ingame currency. And the other way round, i.e buy the cards in game and sell them to a site who is buying them.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

The only 'allowed' way is by buying and selling time cards for real money and then selling for in game money.

I'll admit to being an EVE lover myself. It really is something totally different from any other online game out there. If you can make it past the first week or so and begin to really start figuring everything out its totally worth it IMO.

Edit: woops ninja'd.

6. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Actually sounds really interesting to me. Does it require high system reqs?

7. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Yes and no. You can use the old graphics that don't require much to play or you can use the newer graphics set that requires a decent computer.

8. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Ah, Eve. I did enjoy that game. Like Gullible said though, it's only really worthwhile if you end up in an alliance - that's where things really start moving. To be quite honest though, I found the subscription costs too high for what I ended up getting out of it.

elvin: Yeah, you need a pretty decent system to run it on. To get the most out of the (admittedly damn fine) graphics you really need a top of the line machine, and it gets pretty frustrating if you're using one that lags.

9. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

Not to mention it costs 15 bucks a month.

10. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

N-n-n-necropost!

EVE's five bucks for a month on Steam today - anyone an established member that can get me into an alliance or something? I hear the game's boring as hell if you try to go it solo.

11. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Pretty much all of the big 0.0 alliances will have skill point requirements to join, that said there's plenty of opportunities out there, depending on what you want to do.

My corp bases in low sec, is all pvp (fine we're pretty much pirates), and is pretty much all US time zone (might suck for you being an Aussie). Play for a couple of weeks and if you want to jump into pvp give me a shout on here, we'll be more than happy to show you how to kill people ;)

Edit: Evemon and eft are pretty good out of game tools.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  12. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Played for a while, joined a mining corp realized that its not really for me. Let my gametime expire, maybe when I have a steady job I'll play again but right now? No...

Plus beginning with Dominion through to Incursion, bugs have risen with almost frightning speed. Fleets are bugged, nodes crash with player levels that were normal in pre-Dominion, cargo hold not refreshing.

Plus Dominion promised changed alliance warfare( to make it more mobile and flexible) and formal pacts. No follow through at all with the pacts system and alliance warfare became a joke. It heavily favored the defender because the attacker's fleet would be bogged down with lag as hundreds of ships tried to lode a node where there would already be hundreds of ships. That and SBU and SBUblockers became the norm where the fleet would get in(if they could get in) set a blocker and sit around waiting for the defenders to rally.

Not to mention the increased upkeep of systems that corps held.

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I've about three months in and the game's fun as hell - probably mostly because a mate of mine from another mission is a player too and we've been running missions for the Minmatar Republic. The skill system is as time-heavy as it's reputation promised, but it's pretty shallow and the lower levels go fast - it might take you a fortnight to max out a skill, but it'd only take you a few days to get it to level 4 or less than a day for level 3. At three months old I'm capable of flying a battlecruiser, the largest battle-ready ship you can fly in high-security space, as well as the skills to make a fortune playing the ore markets.

It's not for everyone, but if you've got some time and bandwidth to burn, the first two weeks are free - three if you get an invite, which I'll happily supply (since if you subscribe after the trial period, I get a free month).