1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else II: Not As Good As The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let me give you a real-world example. I've been saying for ages that games have been too cheap (in the US) for ages and we're due for a price hike. We're getting it now on PS5 and XbX. The price of games generally will now be 70USD...

Except, not really. Games prices went up across the board. Here in Australia, we were already paying too much for video games. Now, brand new video games on the next-gen consoles are $124. Even when adjusting for currency differences, that's $90 USD for every fucking game.

Microsoft's game pass is now such a ludicrous value at $10 a month that it's hard to not see them pulling in people who are getting priced out of gaming. Mind, that's $10 and you get to play every game in their library and a select amount of third-party games as much as you want, whenever you want and, most importantly, according to them, wherever you want.

Personally, I don't see it. I don't think anything Bethesda has comes close to being worth what they paid for, but that doesn't matter. It's about the entire product of Games Pass. The more it adds, the more enticing it gets. Even if they up the price to $20USD a month in the near future, they have twenty-five first party studios now. If they mange their portfolio correctly, they could soon have a big first party game every few months.

To be fair, that's a big if. Microsoft loves to splash the cash but I've never been impressed with anything they've made personally, or how they manage their portfolio.

In other news, Mike Morhaime announced his new game studio:

https://www.dreamhaven.com/news/announcement

I guess the non-compete ran out? lol

2. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

People are missing the point entirely with Microsofts purchase; they're not buying ip so much as populating a Netflix like library for video games spanning across PC and Xbox.

The price hike has happened in the form of MTX, DLC. Many games are little more than a slot machine with particularly pretty lights attached to it.

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Oh, those aren't going anywhere.

Honestly, it's really hard for me to give a shit when studios are whining about how expensive gamedev is when they fucking chose to do so in the most expensive cities in the world.

And yeah, Games Pass is their Netflix-style model. Buying Bethesda is like Netflix buying the rights to Friend or Seinfeld...

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  5. Gengar

High Score:
    Meh, one week, not the end of the world.

Gives me a whole extra week to No-life Genshin Impact XD

Speaking of, is there any word why it's an EA and not full release? Is it still partly unfinished? With Genshin Impact and WoW close behind it, I might just wait until it's fully out...

6. Arthellion

High Score:
    Basically, they're following the same model as they did for DOSII.

They rely upon player data for balancing, testing the game etc. In EA, only Act 1 is available at first. Act 1 goes to Level 4. They've said they expect early access to last a year or so. Full release likely won't be until 2022.

But with the system they're building and mod support, there are also rumors that some of the adventure modules Wizards have put out can be built/ported to this system. So, for example, a Curse of Strahd or Tomb of Horrors or similar could be built. :)

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    Some....story boards from the lates video. NSFW

[​IMG]

Full video

8. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

So Rocket League is now an Epic exclusive. Rumours are that the steam version won't be getting updates from now on.

So heads up to anyone wanting it, it's Free and they're apparently giving out $10 coupons* with it. They are literally paying you to 'buy' their free game.

*Coupons expire Nov. 1st 2020 supposedly

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Genshin Impact is hella fun. The camera movement sucks and the "puzzles" are waaaaaay too simple, but the open world is massive for a mobile compatible game, and the elemental ailment-based combat is very enjoyable.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm addicted to it. Have been sincet he beta.

There are other world puzzles later that are on the right side of challenging for the genre. Good clue queues, rewards, and not too difficult that you feel like just going to google to get your loot.

11. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Eh. Both character models are pretty poor. PS4 Peter doesn't have a particularly realistic face and there a was some awkward bone animation, whereas PS5 Peter looks like uncanny valley Tom Holland.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Honestly? I think he looks great in the remaster.

There's one problem though...

He looks younger than Miles...

14. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

So I've caved and pre-purchased Star Wars Squadrons. I've long had a craving for a proper space combat sim, and while Elite Dangerous is good, it's not quite the same.

Here's hoping EA doesn't let me down yet again.

TBH as long as the campaign is decent and the fleet battle is actually somewhat fun while going against AI I'll be happy.

15. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

Ouf. I have decided that from now on I'll wait for EA games to hit game pass before I try them. I dare not get hyped for an EA game after so many were easily missable... especially after Anthem. Good Luck and let us know!

16. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Well, I'm hopeful since they've already stated it's got no plans for dlc, and after the last star wars game (fallen order) I'm willing to risk it.

Worst case I refund it on steam.

Edit: I've played the opening missions so far. Playing with a keyboard and mouse feels clunky, but it's definitely workable. Probably mostly a matter of needing to re-keybind a few options.

Game seems to run smooth so far, regularly hitting 100-144fps.

Tbh I'm torn, if changing keybinds doesn't improve the feel I'd have to say unless you have a HOTAS or something it might be better to wait and see if they improve controls.

Very clunky feeling atm.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Are you in the market for bridges?

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    It's getting fantastic reviews from the game critics.

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've put a solid like 4 hours or so into Squadrons so far, and it's pretty good. It's not the best game ever, but it's a very solid modern take on the X-Wing v TIE Fighter formula, and I'm quite happy with it. The K+M controls are a definitely a bit weird (mostly in the aiming, it's very difficult to do precision aim without overcorrecting). I'm getting better at it as I play and get used to it, but it's definitely not super intuitive. Other than that, and the out-of-ship stuff being weird (you basically stand in a room and can click on interactable things to trigger conversations/mission briefings/etc without being able to move otherwise), I quite like it.

20. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

I am coming from the fligh/spacesim crowd and this is a big letdown (but expected since EA). Imho there is lots wrong with it/ could be way better or atleast an option.. Lukewarm approval is the best I have heard so far, which is not something I want from a T-fighter successor. But I get it, people generally want something else entirely from their games and are quite happy with it like it is.

The true wound is, that my chances for a SW spacesim just got to zero.