1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else II: Not As Good As The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wonder why. The gameplay seems a bit uninspired, but units sold is strong. Insane development costs maybe?

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Absurd licensing fee for the character rights, maybe?

Or perhaps they crunched their developers too hard and had so many quit that it struck their bottom line.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Knowing SE, I'm going with insane dev cost.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I can't tell if that's the problem with this game, only chanced its trailers, but my explanation for what's the difference between a popular superhero games and less ones, aside from whatever they're well done or not, is how they design your experience. The games that make you be the superhero, Arkham series and many Spider-Man games, are very popular. The games that only have you control them because there is more than one to use, like Ultimate Alliance series and Avengers, don't have this wish fulfillment going on to make fans more into them. Obviously, this is very subjective and others can have a different experience, but it's the reason why I'm not really waiting for a new Batman and a Suicide Squad games.

That said, even current Spider-Man game and Arkham series had one missing part in my opinion. Both didn't allow you to play as the alter ego and make decisions as them. While Bruce Wayne is a little more limited in what could be done with him, I'm waiting for a game where you need to balance your superhero adventures with your social obligations. Like fighting Shocker while a timer goes down to your date with MJ and if you don't show up she will break with you. Getting money for a small apartment from Spidey's photos or trying to get a better science job and a better place, but with less time to deal with supervillains and stop their plans because you need to finish a project.

6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Reminder that Squeenix is the company that sold 6 million copies of Tomb Raider and called it a disappointment.

They're just fucking awful at both budgeting and setting realistic expectations, so this isn't a surprise at all.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Saw this pop up on my feed. Disclaimer, I haven't played Aegis Rim yet, but I can totally believe it should be there...

Hades is so far ahead of the others it's almost insulting... I adored Ghost, but it's not particularly narratively strong. FF7 has to be a joke... unless they're talking about Tifa's narratives? I don't agree with TLoU, they tried something daring and I don't think it paid off, but that's subjective.

Just found it weird FF7 and Ghost got a mench in this. Was it a particularly bad year for narratives? Feel like it must have been...

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The adjustments they made to FF7 weren't bad certainly I got choked up a bit at certain scenes.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I wasn't bothered at all by The Whispers. It was very Nomura-y which many people dislike, but it was done well, done with respect to the original, and it paves the way for more potentially interesting stuff in part 2 and 3. Everything else was just normal FF7.

I actually think it'll win multiple Game of the Year awards too, as the only real competitor is GhostTsu. TLoU2 is too controversial to snag it, and not enough people have played Hades.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    Lol. Is goty popular vote or critic vote? If the latter Tlou2 wins.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Popular. At least for Game Awards and Golden Joysticks. And those two, plus the Game Dev choice awards, are really the only ones that give you the cred to slap together a GOTY edition.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  12. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

It's sad that the capital G Gamers are probably gonna rob Ashley Johnson of a category she should blow the competition in. You hate to see it.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Honestly, i genuinely think the performances in Hades were better (if they're nominated, i didn't see).

14. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I think I saw that the hades voice actor was nominated as well. I haven't played hades but I'd still probably lean to Ashley Johnson since she did motion capture as well.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    [​IMG]

No Gura gtfo

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What does "Content creator" even mean in this context? I honestly have no clue who any of these people are, other than the chick from the left, and her I only vaguely remember because she used to attentionwhore all the time on tumblr back in the day and consequently /v/ reposted her shit.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

For some reason I blame myself for @Gengar 's descent into vtubers.... couldn't be my fault though.

18. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

TWEWY 2, fuck yeah!

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Well, I was wrong. TLoU2 swept the Golden Joysticks. That really surprises me tbh.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Played 3 hours of AC: Valhalla...and hated it. Like, nothing about the story pulled me in. The gameplay was meh hack n slash. The character models sucked. Only things I liked were the environment and music.

But yeah, it felt like a game early in the PS4's cycle. Like a worse version of God of War.

Meh. Back to ghost of tsushima.