1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else II: Not As Good As The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone have any updates on Baldur's Gate 3? Release Date? How did the EA go? etc

2. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

There was the recent release of the druid class. I haven't tested it myself, since I've already played through the early access twice, which is enough for me. For Larian the EA was a huge success, when compared to Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2. BG3 sold more then they were expecting. The planned release date isn't known yet, I had assumed it to be late 2021, having BG3 in EA for around 1 year like D:OS2, but Covid might have impacted them a lot, in which case it's going to be early to middle 2022.

I have some criticism about the game, but overall I'm really happy with it, it's looking to be really fun and I can't wait to play it in co-op with friends. It's not always faithful to 5th edition, Larian likes to make their own changes to stuff, for good and bad. Still the area design is solid, there's a lot of fun things in act 1 alone already. Items are nice, they got rid of randomized loot and there's a lot of reactivity to race and class, also dialogue is much improved over their earlier games.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Gengar Jaska said most of what i would say, but I'll also add a modding community is already going strong for the game. So for areas that aren't quite faithful to 5e...there are already mods that make it more so.

All in all, it's very high quality cinematics and I love the changes they've made. Definitely enjoying the new stuff.

They've only released act 1 and I expect tthat to grow. At the rate they're going though I wouldn't expect the full game until mid/late 22

4. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Larian won't release anything further than act 1, that's their stated policy and it's what they did with the previous D:OS games. Some changes might come to early access and new classes, but I doubt much new content will come, seeing as they wan't to save most of the game for the actual release. That's also why the development feels slow, since we don't actually see most of the work being done and Larian is notoriously bad at communicating.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah idc about it being faithful to DnD, that's not why I loved the Divinity games. Good to hear everything else.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Jaska sokid. Didn’t know that about the acts. I’d definitely give the game a solid 8.5/10 atm. It’s very polished

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Really wish Larian would make a sequel to Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga. I feel like this time around they'd let us play as a dragon properly and not just have some barebones aerial combat.

For those unaware, here's a short video from Larian on the making of Divinity 2, including some of the cut content:

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Remakes of Daigyakuten Saiban/ Great Ace Attorney announced for Switch, PS4, and PC. Includes new options like a story mode and several extra DLC vignettes, no clue if they're real cases or not.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    An hour of Diablo Immortal alpha gameplay:

Looks surprisingly solid. Music is good. Environments are cool. I definitely won't be playing pally/crusader though. Too similar to all the Korean arpg Diablo copycats flooding the mobile market. Mages, archers, monks/rogues are usually more my speed.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just finished Bravely Default II with the Golden Ending. Figured I might as well drop a quick review on this most esteemed of forums.

It's a good game and I enjoyed it, but it kinda feels like there were certain parts of BD/BS that I would've liked to see return.

First is that I would have enjoyed more creative jobs. In Second, the first two jobs you got were Black Mage which allowed you to create your own spells on the fly and Charioteer, which allowed you to wear a sword as a hat to triple-wield and then even quadruple-wield. In BDII, you get Black Mage, Vanguard (more or less just typical Knight) and White Mage, all of which work exactly as you think they'd work. I preferred the more creative approach.

Still, there's enough there to allow for creative combos. Salve-maker with the Rewarding Results and Results Guaranteed passives from Phantom guarantee status ailments, which allow you to stunlock the absolute shit out of many bosses, even the secret trials in the final chapter. Vanguard's second specialty combined with Swordsmaster's Ninefold Flurry allows you to deal fucktons of damage, and if you equip Critical Flow together with crit-boosting items it even replenishes your BP so you can Brave endlessly.

The city-building/rebuilding mechanics were replaced with a "get JP orbs for sleeping" mechanic. A bit of a loss, I think. I'm also not much of a fan of the ATB-with-pause system compared to the previous system. I miss the Dark Knight job, I don't get why Shieldmaster and Bastion aren't just one job, or what Gambler brings to the game.

On the positive side, though, the B'n'D minigame is cool and fun, the music's excellent. The story's classic JRPG fare (though surprisingly dark at points, Wiswald and Rimedhal are brutal) and there's no real special spins on it, but Adelle and Elvis carry the day enough to make it fun to read. Yournamehere and Gloria are takes on Tiz and Agnes from the first game but ever so slightly different. I was honestly neutral on them. The signature Bravely twist took me a hot minute to figure out. I beat the final boss twice just to see if the bad ending would be different, only to then figure out how the saving gimmick worked.

All in all, good game, still a fan of the franchise. Looking forward to whatever wacky name they come up with for the next game.

11. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Could I get a vague list of recommendations of ps4 and ps5 games? In about two months I'd like to sit down and play a bit, if possible.

For what it's worth I'm pretty keen on playing Bloodborne, and I've got HZD and the latest Yakuza on my pc already. Not particularly fussed on on genre, though I'm not huge on fighters or sport games.

12. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

For PS5, I'd say Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition, Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Intergrade and Ratchet and Clank: Torn Apart. The latter two won't be available for another couple of months however. On the PS4, I'd say God of War and Bloodborne.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Spiderman.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    If you get PS+, not only do you get pretty great games included every month that you get to keep, you get access to the Playstation Plus Collection for 'free'.

This includes (as of last I checked)
    • Bloodborne
    • Days Gone
    • Detroit: Become Human
    • God of War
    • Infamous Second Son
    • Ratchet and Clank
    • The Last Guardian
    • The Last of Us Remastered
    • Until Dawn
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
    • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • Battlefield 1
    • Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
    • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
    • Fallout 4
    • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
    • Monster Hunter: World
    • Mortal Kombat X
    • Persona 5
    • Resident Evil 7 biohazard
    As for new games, Returnal is fucking fantastic (I'm garbage at console shooters and bullethells, and I've only beaten three of the six bosses, and I still say that). It's the best feeling shooter I've played in years.

15. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

I actually quite liked Returnal. Super steep difficulty curve but once it clicks it clicks. And it does truly marvelous things with the haptics.

16. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

So Mass Effect Legendary Edition is out. Anyone played it? I've held off on getting it until I finish my current run on the original ME1.

17. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

There is really no reason to if you are currently playing and enjoying the original one.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bunch of the fixes and improvements. But it's still the same game.
    For Mass Effect the graphical upgrade is the most noticeable one. But the UI/UX and the back end stuff is what you actually want. Bug and progression fixes that carry over to 2+3 for example.
    With Mass Effect 2 and 3 it's that you get all the DLC. They are still selling those for 25 bucks per game.

So if you don't have access to your original install, have never played it or don't own the DLC for 2 and 3 then it's a good deal.
    But you can mod 2 and 3 to look basically the same as the Legendary edition. So if you do already own them it's all about Mass Effect and it's improvements. And I can't currently justify paying 60 bucks for those.

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I don't plan on getting it until/if the expanded galaxy mod for ME3 is ported over. The OG games look nearly as good with the ALOT and ALOV (a lot of textures/videos) mods anyway

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  19. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah, the legendary edition might be nice for newcomers and maybe those who didn't buy the DLC but as somebody who already posses all of that bare some of the weapons packs I can not really justify spending 60€ for what seems to be little more than a few bug fixes, slight UI changes and a graphic update.

20. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, I died to Phrike multiple times than 1shot all the rest of the bosses. Once you get the hang of it its pretty easy. A fun game I just wish there was more content once you've done all the endings. The only content left is literally 100% the game and I've never been into that. But until I reached that point where that was the only thing left to do, I really enjoyed myself.