1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else II: Not As Good As The Original

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I'm curious, does the new playable dragon race actually get to fly without using a mount or being fucked up by some expansion-related gimmick?

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, Druids can fly without using mounts. If they're meant to be able to fly without them, they'll be allowed to.

Shall we also discuss the myriad things GW2 copied off WoW?

I'm as much a Blizzard skeptic as the next spurned ex-WoW player, but some of these takes coming from the expansion reveal feel like such a reach that I can't help defending them.

The dragon forms for the new races do look hella stupid though. Part of me wishes they only had one form (The humanoid one) and can change into Wrathion-like dragon forms (smaller, but proper dragon forms) one when certain abilities call for it (breath attacks) or when flying out of combat.

3. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I confess, I paid exactly zero attention to the WoW reveal. TBH didn't even know there was a new expansion for the game. Only reason I heard about the mounts is it's kind of all over GW2 media, and a number of other gaming sites.

To be perfectly clear, I find it amusing that Blizzard is copying GW2, but not bad that they're copying GW2. It's honestly refreshing because it means GW2 has done at least some things so good that they're worth copying.

Guild Wars 2's mounts are probably the best feeling mounts in any game I've ever played. Each one has a unique feel to how it moves, and each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Honestly, I almost feel sorry that Blizzard seems to be cobbling the flying mounts from GW2 into a single entity in WoW.

The Skyscale may be the mount I spend most of my time on in GW2 since it let's be ignore a good majority of ground encounters I don't care to get involved in, but I'd never give up my Griffon. Nothing beats the feeling of speeding through obstacle courses like someone strapped a rocket engine to my mount.

4. Damy

Damy First Year

From an interview it seems like they get the base version of dragonriding or something like it, but it can't be upgraded so they will eventually want to use mounts like everyone else. It isn't clear if it is exactly the same even initially, as Ion referred to it as demon hunter++, with momentum and a bit of height gain.

5. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just finished the main story of NEO: The World Ends With You, aka the sequel to TWEWY, a game that came out 14 years ago for the DS and is probably responsible for hundreds if not thousands of ruined screens and styli. I loved the original, so I was hyped the minute we got a trailer for NTWEWY.

With sequels to things that comparatively old, it's always dicey, but NEO never disappointed me. It did absolutely no dishonour to its prequel, expanded the lore somewhat while not adding stupid shit or retconning much of anything, and featured some of the old characters whose character arcs were complete without having them regress for no real reason.

Onto gameplay, which is where the biggest changes are. First, instead of styluses & touch controls on the DS, now the game uses the Switch's buttons, so you don't slash and press and pound the screen anymore but have to charge/tap/mash/hold the X,Y,R,L, ZL and ZR buttons - at the same time, if you want to, and you'll probably want to. The puck mechanic was completely reworked into a combo gauge with 3 tiers of a limit break mechanic, a change which did make the game easier but also more accessible IMO. The social network system is an in-theme way of getting bonuses alongside the old "level drop means higher droprate" mechanic.

The threads and pins are on point, so's the aesthetic, and the music's as excellent as ever. It's just a really good game. 5/5, easily.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The upcoming game 'Zenless Zone Zero' from miHoYo looks like a riot. Crazy hybrid of Persona style, Genshin animation, and Overwatch/Honkai shooter/aRPG combat.

Not sure if it'll be open world like Genshin or stage-based like Honkai, but either way I bet they are going to make megabucks. I can already tell I'm going to main that tig ol bitty gyaru gangsta bear bro.

I would have gone with a different title though to appeal to Global audiences. Zenless Zone Zero just sounds ultra-weeby.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty much perma turned off them, so that's a Nope from me.

8. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

As opposed to the game itself, which is not weeby at all...

The gameplay looks ok, but that was never the issue with Genshin. Everything from the monetization to the shit show of the multiplayer never gave the good parts an actual chance to shine. And I doubt any of that is really going to change. They seem to be making bank regardless.

9. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Well the reviews for Vampire Masquearade Swansong are out and it seems to be another middling addition to the franchise.

Which is a shame because I would really love to once again immerse myself into that world again.

I will still play it though. I enjoyed the Council for what it was, though the ending left me disappointed.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

11. James

James Unspeakable

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Saw the Starfield gameplay footage. Looks like Fallout 4 in space.

For those who haven't seen it:

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It'll take a few years, but excited for the eventual total star wars conversion. :)

14. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Speaking of Star Wars, for anyone waiting for a good sale on Fallen Order, it's currently 75% off on Steam.

15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

How does it play on PC? Are the controls awkward to the point where I'll need to plug in a PS4 controller?

16. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I'd definitely say it's improved with a controller, but I did do a bit with the kb+m and it wasn't too terrible.

That said I've been reliably informed, repeatedly, that I'm a freak in terms of ability to adapt to awkward control schemes. So YMMV. But it definitely looks gorgeous on PC.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Shame about the lightsaber combat playing as if you were wielding a baseball bat for most of the time.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TBF they couldn't justify a T rating if you were disembering storm troopers left and right.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I think there‘s a little bit of dismemberment though, right? Or was that only on the animals? I remember you could cut the overgrown mole rat ones on Zeffo in half.

20. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah it's only the animals