1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cole was cool, but he's a bit of a miserable scrote. Delsin looks more likeable, if you don't play evil, and neon powers look aesthetically stunning.

2. redshell

redshell Order Member

Cole was a miserable bastard because he killed hundreds of people, and the decisions he had to make had actual consequences.

Like where you have to choose between 5 doctors and Trish, and the Trish you save isn't even her. Granted, Kessler was basically manipulating him into being the hero he couldn't be, because Kessler is Cole, but still.

That being said, after she died, he could conceivably believe that he killed her by making the decision he did. And then he went to New Marais, and his actions led to more deaths, regardless of if you were hero or villain.

And the ending of InFamous 2 kind of put a cap on Cole being a miserable bastard, because he was faced with the decision to wipe out about 90% of humanity to save the few, or kill the Beast, himself, and the few to save humanity.

No spoilers because 2 is four years old and 1 is five (which says a lot about Sucker Punch's work ethic during that period, I think).

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Fun fact, SP intended for the Evil route to be canon before inf2 was released. Data showed that a large majority played the Good path though, thus Delsin.

I never played Evil, but he doesn't die there, right?

Also, to clarify, i was more referring to his mannerisms and characterisation being bland
    Cole was gruff, glowery and just plain gloomy - the reasoning for such being sound is irrelevant.

Delsin seems the opposite. It looks like he loves his powers in the same way we all would if we got them. The look on his face before he crashes down to earth with his smoke comet thing says more about him than two full games of inFamous did about Cole.

I still loved the first two games, and got into full nerd rage fights when my xbox friends were trying to tell me Prototype was a better game (it's competition during the first one's release), but i did feel that the character was that game's only weakness.

Hopefully one that is smashed out the park in this game.

At least there's no Zeke.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I just watched the alpha gameplay trailer of Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor (over at IGN)... and it looks like a giant steaming pile of garbage. Firstly, the main character is a Ranger who is killed, and comes back as a spirit of vengeance with Ringwraith abilities... what in the fuck? I hate gimmicks, and it's clearly just a gimmick, since the whole game is pretty much just Assassin's creed re-skinned in LotR flavor, everything from eagle-vision, to assassinations, to the parkour-like skills, it's exactly the same. The new flavor and expanded gameplay isn't strong enough to make the game exciting, and the whole 'Nemesis' engine isn't nearly as worldshattering as they try to make it sound.

It's not the first time a LotR game has been just a reskin. LotR: Conquest was just Star Wars Battlefront (same company), and as such, it felt sort of flat, and wasn't anywhere near enjoyable as the game it was based off of.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  5. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm no lotr buff, but people who are say it's canonically accurate...

That and it's clearly the Arkham combat meets assassin's creed movement. Is that bad? o_O

I came out thinking the exact opposite as you...

6. redshell

redshell Order Member

No, like I said, he just kills about 90% of humanity to save the people with powers.

The thing about the InFamous games is that they're more or less a generic good or evil story, with superheroes thrown into the mix. Cole is basically Static Shock meets Batman, which isn't necessarily a bad thing... but it's not good either.

The games are basically intended for the player to make the decision that you, the player, would make given the situation. The fact that they cut out middle ground people (like me) is sort of a raw deal, and they were originally going to have Neutral karma be a thing in 2, but ended up scrapping the idea. Which sucked, but I kind of get why.

Psh, Zeke was awesome. He was a very human character, throughout both games. Say what you will about him in the first game, in the second game he proved himself with the fact that he would support a Good Cole through everything.

Also, I think a truly defining moment for their relationship happens in 2, when they just sit down and watch a spaghetti western, and drink a beer.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    I never doubted their friendship, but being annoying doesn't equal being realistic or human to me.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Zeke was really annoying in the first one (and went way past annoying when he proved willing to kill thousands just to get some superpowers), but I was pleasantly surprised at how he was handled in the second. I don't think I have a negative thing to say about him in inFamous 2. Well, except for his ridiculous hair and his choice of clothes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  9. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Has anyone been looking into Life is Feudal? It's been greenlit on Steam.

SteamLIF

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I feel like I'm far more hyped about South Park: The Stick of Truth than I should be.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    Playing the Jew?

12. Gengar

High Score:
    Playing Banished atm, really fun game. It's very basically a simpler, middle-ages village building sim. Very addictive in the way sim city 2000 or theme park was.

It's essentially a game where you're constantly spinning plates, and the fun is adding more and more plates until it all comes crashing down around you.

Things like happiness, health, hunger, heat (ppl can freeze to death), resources and jobs are all of the things you'll need to manage.

You'll be building homes for your people to live and keep warm in (build with lumber and stone that you harvest and kept warm by firewood a lumberjack chops).

You'll gather food with hunter/ gatherer/ fishing lodges as well as farms to keep them fed.

You'll build a herbalist building to collect and create herbs/ medicine and a hospital to cure the sick.

Blacksmith is needed for the tools for most of these jobs, as is a tailor so your people can stay outside longer and work through the cold.

You can even build a trade hub where you can trade off any excess materials you may have for things like cattle, seeds, leather or any other commodity you may be short in.

It's a really fun and addictive game that i saw one of the guys over at GiantBomb quick looking and had a go. It's $20 on steam and well worth it, i say.

Have fun :)

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Starting to feel you here, tbh. I like a long game, but damn man. 45 hours tanked into this sumbitch and I just now reached Ch. 5 and it appears that the game is nowhere near over. Haven't had to invest so much time into one playthrough of a game since Dragon Quest 8.

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Just to clarify, my issue with Bravely Default has nothing to do with how long it is. The problem is the content of the game in chapter 5 (and to a lesser extent chapter 6) is really tedious. If the content in those chapters was more interesting, I wouldn't have any issue with it.

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Right. I'm about 'halfway' through with C5 now. Just doing it all for completion's sake, but it's going pretty quickly. Have little need for JP grinding at this juncture, since I more or less have all my character builds exactly where I want them (I love the Vampire class so very much, so so broken).

16. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Alright, so I just finished Bravely Default. There's not really a whole lot that I can say that I haven't already said in the past few posts, so I'll keep it brief.

Bravely Default is a pretty damn cool game, but it's also a cool game being dragged way the fuck down by questionable game design decisions. Basically, after the halfway point,
    the game asks you to replay that first half of the game. Then after you do that, it asks you to do it again. Then it does it twice more, ultimately ending with you having fought all of the bosses at least five times if you choose to explore the side content. Most of the bosses you'll have fought six times. It's absolutely absurd and not in a good way. I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking when they chose to do this.
    The endgame, like everything else up through chapter 4, is really cool. Still, with so much of the game being absolutely worthless, I can't feel comfortable rating it very highly.

So, 3/5, rounded up.

I'd actually recommend people give the game a shot, but once you hit chapter 5, I'd suggest skipping literally all of the side content until chapter 7, then skipping all of the side content from chapter 8 as well. Just make sure you get all of the classes so you have tools to play around with.

18. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It sounds like the people who made Bravely Default were a fan of Ghosts 'n Goblins, since once you beat the last boss, you have to do it all over again.

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Even Ghosts 'n Goblins only asks you to do it twice.

20. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Sounds more like the bucket FF game for the gamecube, Crystal Chronicles I think the name was? Ah, making my little brother carry the bucket, such sweet memories.

Not open for further replies.