1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Exile by Easleyweasley - G

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Quill Runner, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

I liked the ending. It solved Harry's conflict of being an outlaw and gave him a backbone. Sure it was a little rushed, but it was well written and flowed nicely.

2. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I loved the fic. I wish there was more, of course, but it was the best Azkaban story I've seen in a long time. It had all the qualities of a story I usually enjoy; Written well with an engaging style, well developed characters, conflict/drama and interesting/fairly original ideas. 4.5/5

3. Void Sorcerer

Void Sorcerer Groundskeeper

It was a great read, and exceptionally well written. This is a story that had a great plot, and IMO ended in a good way. As it has been said, it would have been pointless to drag the story line out, as there was really nothing left to do. I don't know about you, but I didn't see much plot going on anywhere else, and if he would have continued...

Lets just say it probably would have turned it from a great stroy to a pile of shit. The author has portraid Harry's character very well, and I can actually see the "cannon" character acting that way in such situations. Harry in the book sets his goals, and while not always thinking about them does what he thinks is best.

That was done well in this story, and it made it seem realistic. Harry had a set purpose and goal, and he did his best to achieve it. But as was clearly show, things didn't work out completely as planned, and Dumbledore had to come save his sorry ass.

Over all rating 4.75/5

Sure it would have been cool for him to beat down snape verbally. But lets face it, chances are it would have ruined the idea.

4. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Very well written, I have very few complaints. I completely didn't realize that that was the end, though. I feel like an idiot now, considering that I've been checking for updates nearly daily. Damn you fictionalley.

One of the best Azkaban!Harry fics out there, on par with the old greats, like Lord of Caer Azkaban, Reap What You Sow and (arguably) Hero, Villain, Saviour, Conqueror (albeit a very different tack)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  5. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

I loved this story, the best azkaban fic I have ever read.

It was a disappointing to find out that no sequel will follow it.

6. fooboo27

fooboo27 Guest

I just finished reading this fic, and it is hands down the BEST Azkaban! Harry I have ever read. How can people even compare it w/ Lord Caer of Azkaban? It's a whole different writing style with none of those annoying, expected things such as Harry inheriting some obscure power, becoming head of some rich and powerful family, or getting loads of gold.

7. gadriam

gadriam Second Year

Brilliant story, this. Credible and alive, and i could actually see Radcliffe play this part in my mind's theater. Strangely enough, it couldn't be any longer but was still way too short. Great author, this one. Quite productive too. It'll take me a few days to read through it all, but i'm really looking forward to it.
    Again, brilliant.
    g

8. MonCappy

MonCappy Fifth Year

I enjoyed this story. I also like how Harry got Voldemort exposed in this story.

9. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Good stuff. The colder, slightly darker Harry was, in my opinion, much more interesting than canon Harry ever was. As for the ending, well, I liked and disliked it at the same time. It was great in that it was a very cinematic finish, reminding me of movies like Serenity or Pulp Fiction, where it seems like it should go on, but it had made it to a somewhat natural end. I hated it for that same reason, because it really felt like it could have gone on for quite a few more chapters, and been even better. All in all, I would say this is worthy of a 4.8/5.

10. Chicklepea

Chicklepea Third Year

I loved this story. I've never read a Harry goes to Azkaban before because the idea never really appealed to me, but I've been running out of reading materials.

Harry was amazingly characterised and stayed true to canon at the same time. All the characters were well done. How he reacted with Sirius too was just great, the reluctance and yet accpetence..

The only thing that bugged me was the end. I read the last line and went to look for the next chapter button... I'm not done reading yet. There is still a story to be told! I'm just whining because it was so well written and such a great story that I want more.

11. Vilkath

Vilkath Squib

The first few chapters of this story was great, a nice corrupt trial without his friends burning his stuff and killing his owl is a nice change. Also was nice to see Harry go to Azkaban and come out better from it, but not turn into supper harry for almost no reason. ESpecialy since he didn't even spend a year there.

I was slightly disapointed how the story went as it carried on though. Harry is on the run from both the Ministry, Voldemort and even Dumbledoor and yet he stays in London, to a flat which has a paper trail leading to the magical world. I really think he should of at least left the country, let alone the city which is almost the central of wizarding britian.

THen on the other hand we have Harry going back to being mostly a submisive pathetic follower again. It is not as bad as Cannon Harry, but on the other hand I don't really feel he learned his lesson from Azkaban all that well. In some ways it makes sense, I mean the kid lived with the Dursley's for 10+ years of hell and every summer because of Dumbledoor and never learned anything from that abuse either. How ever changed into a brave naive idiot in the books when he was a submisive weak boy around the dursley's has always baffled me.

12. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    I read this a while ago, but I didn't think it was that great. Not bad, certainly not bad, but not that wonderful either... Sure, it was well-written and stuff, but there was nothing too exceptional.
    I did like the way he set Voldemort up though.

Anyways, this is a good Azkaban!Harry fic, and these are hard to come by.

13. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

not to necro but link doesn't work, at least not for me right now.

14. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Did you try reloading the page a few times?

'cause it didn't work for me the first time, but after I reloaded it, it worked fine...

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Seriously, do you have any idea how hilarious it is to me that someone calling himself Vecna is worried about necro anything?

I bet you're laughing now too, aren't you? :awesome

16. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

On to my review. A decent fic for the Azkaban! genre. 4/5

17. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

It's well written, especially for the usually horrid Azkaban fics but.....

I can't stand the way everyone acts like having to resign from office is an equal trade for throwing a minor into hell on earth for a few months based solely on not wanting to hear what they say. No, that's not "revenge", nor is being transferred to a crappier job for Percy.

It's a recurring theme of HP fics where the Ministry does anything up to AKing children at random and their punishment is losing their job. Any normal person in real life would be out for blood -- at the very least they would want Fudge thrown into Azkaban. Or perhaps some of those tasty "Truth and Reconciliation" panels that pop up after wars to rape the people who started it.

18. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

pretty short story, but not bad at all

19. Goose

Goose First Year DLP Supporter

I liked it.

It was a well written story. The author has written Azkaban-Harry realistically, no superpowered, angsty, angry (to the power of 10) Boy-who-lived here. My favourite part of the story is Harry's conversation with Sirius when he receives his apology (or what constitutes as one) from the Ministry. What Sirius said about Anger and Revenge was right.

The downside to this story is the ending. There was no closure and it felt like the ending of just another chapter, not a final hurrah to the story itself. Story doesn't need an epilogue and I'm not sure what else author needed to add to make it seem a bit more complete but it just didn't feel finished.

Other than that, I enjoyed (as much as one can an Azkaban story) reading it and rate it a 4/5.

20. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Exactly what I though when I did finish reading it...

Most has been said and there is very little to add. I didn't see anyone mentioning how the author has managed to create a much better story, reach the same point where the fifth book did and yet create a much better character for HP... or at least the type of better character we like to see...

I understand that the story works fine with having OoTP as a background and without it, we wouldn't get the same feeling out of it but that doesn't make it any less brilliant than it is.