1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Für Das Größere Wohl by Pseudonym Sam - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Mordac, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It lives.

Good new chapter, even if somewhat filler-y.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

What the hell happened? I just realized I read 30k words of a story that, not only does not involve Harry, but features a cast composed 100% of OCs without complaint. I think the writer mindraped me.

The family's wariness upon first receiving the Durmstrang invitation was perfect. The effort at including details really help define the setting, making it seem like the timeframe. The tinges of realism are everywhere. I like how Deiter has to maintain his grades to prevent suspicion. In canon, Harry didn't need to worry about a damn thing about academics.

Then the effect of Deiter's wizardry on the family is explored, something that couldn't be done in canon. The younger brother's absolute belief that he is a wizard is suitably naive, and is good foreshadowing. I predict he will turn out to be a Muggle, and will turn psychopath, or will become manically depressed.

I'm slightly disappointed the old man had such moderate views on Muggles. The author did something excellent when Deiter first encountered him. It gave the impression that he was a blood-purist, and since he was the only exposure to the wizarding world, I thought all the German wizards would turn out to be like him.

When we saw Grindelwald plaza, it turned out to be different. This stirred a retrospective curiosity in the old man - clearly an exception. Then he has this mild, don't understand them, view on Muggles. Not a critique, but it would have been a clever moment.

Easily the only good story with original characters and shaping up to be the best where the setting is a foreign school.

4.5/5, rounded up to a 5. My only concern is that the pacing is so slow, as Scott pointed out earlier. It is appropriate for the introductory phase of the story, though. I hope that, once we are acclimated to Durmstrang, the story skips ahead to when it culminates in World War Two.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. Mordac

Updated again.

4. Mordac

Updated again. First look at Durmstrang, with a cameo by Grindelwald himself. Best chapter yet IMO.

5. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

Updated, finally.

It's a really good story, even though it has billions of OC's. I like the irony of the situation. This chapter was a bit filler-y but still pretty good since it's not been updated for a while. Here's hoping he updates some more.
    4/5

6. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

I remember reading the story awhile ago, good to see that around five new chapters were written since.

As much as people only accept harry-centric stories, we're coming to a point where most ideas have already been thought of and written. The problem with original stories is that they're usually not done very well, and the characters are flat. Allows you to see what a gem this kind of story is in fanfiction. Giving the new chapters my previous rating of 4.5/5.

7. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

This story is awesome. I don't really like the main character much and keep hoping for him to get owned but it is inevitable so I can wait. Don't mind the OCs, and the main character fits junior nazi picture nicely which sets the atmosphere for the story. I wonder if his religious roommate is fully Aryan or German. It would be interesting if he wasn't. I also find the characters'(with the exception of Karkaroff) lack of connection between muggleborn hating and what Dieter is doing ironic and suspenseful. 4.5/5