1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fable 3

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sacrosanct, May 17, 2010.

1. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Yea that's not going to be happening on a netbook.

2. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

300 evil points for choosing 1 mil at the end of 2? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Went from a semi-glowing halo to half-horns.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To be fair, you really should have seen that coming...

a) Resurrect thousands of innocent people
    b) Resurrect your family/dog
    c) Hoover up the gold.
    Kinda obvious which was good, neutral and evil, surely? According to the game, at least ;)

4. reggin

And to be honest, I've never really chosen that when I played it a lot. That and I needed to buy Castle Fairfax.;)

EDIT: I knew you got the money, but not the 'bonus'.

5. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

I ended up buying all of the property in the whole of Albion in Fable 2. You get roughly around 14,000 gold every 5 minutes after that.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    @Reggin: ah, fair enough. Had I realised that there were missions for certainly some of the big properties, I'd probably do the same. Didn't see the point in changing my entire style of play simply for a couple of big houses I'd never go to. And now I'm tempted to play it again...

7. reggin

If you choose the gold or many you get your dog back in the DLC anyway.

8. azrael

azrael Professor

haha, I only ever rented Fable 2, and that was over a year ago. When I returned it, I had almost all the property in Albion. Now, I'm renting it again from Gamefly, and I can't wait to see the ridiculous amount of money I'll have on that character. I wonder if Fable 3 will include the same money system, where you get income added up even when you aren't playing?

9. reggin

It's not infinite. e.g if you had 2,000 the max you could get would be 200,000, etc.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

You know, that's what everyone says about a lot of games. But even cheap, crappy older netbooks can play stuff like WoW and Oblivion (when many say they won't). They don't play it with good fps or on anything but lowest settings, and they tend to run hot and lag if it's an online game, but they do play it.

I don't know what the system reqs will be for Fable3 so it might not work despite what I say, but even if it doesn't I can still put Oblivion and Warcraft III on it I guess. Will be interesting to see if it'll play SC2.

Sorry for thread derail there. Just decided to get a netbook because I have so much writing to do this year and my current laptop (and only computer) is too big to want to carry around constantly. But damned if I'll be without entertainment.

I wish they'd port Fable2 to the PC so I could play it first. Would be neat to have a character from Fable2 to have be your parent in Fable3 like someone said would be an option.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  11. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

12. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alright massive necro I know but I figured since it's out and I'm playing it, it's fine.
    Initial thoughts so far, actual gameplay plays like pretty much any other Fable game. The single most jarring change is the almost total lack of a menu system. Aside from the bare bones basics only accesible in the Sanctuary there are absolutely no menus at all, not even a start menu, pushing the start button auto warps you to the Sanctuary which functions similarly but takes a lot of getting used to. I'll give more on the story later
    but I am in the second stage and am King and my initial impression is that Molyneaux needs to be shot. I have no problems with the moral choice system but Jesus fucking Christ it got way past stale two days in to being King and now it's just painful. I'll elaborate more later on it.

13. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

WTF. No menus, even for shops? That's just annoying.

Edit: It's weird how there was never a PC version for Fable II, but there will be for Fable III.

14. Krogan

High Score:
    Nope not a one, stalls are now a one item only place and stores now have something around 6-7 items you can buy tops sometimes a little more and sometimes a lot less. Also the only place you can sell goods are in pawnbrokers.

Now what I was talking about earlier in the story system that really pissed me off is that after your made King you find out that you need to raise a very large fixed sum of money to raise an army to defeat the great darkness thats coming to Albion in exactly one year. Whats not told is the fact that this means it shows you an exact count of how many millions of people are going to die for every cent your short of the total. The only real ways to make money are in the moral choice system that you have to make multiple times every single day and there is no middle ground at all. You can be a good King and fufill your promises but piss away money in mind boggling sums and go into debt in your first two days on the throne or you can make money by being such an asshole that the only thing that could possibly make the process more efficient is if you went out and directly pissed on the citizens from your balcony. The part that I hate the most is that you can't even have a random person argue for the asshole choice, its always my single least favorite character in the series that Fable 3 spends copious amounts of effort making you despise all over again, Reaver. I'm taking a break from the game because honestly I can't take much more of this choice shit

15. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Yeah, on the choice thing. Spoilers ahead, of a sort.

Okay, so one of the first choices you make is what to set the tax rate at. You can leave it where it's at (People will get pissed), raise it (Suuuuuper pissed), or lower it (Happy). That's fine. But, there's no fucking middle ground. I mean, okay, I came into that decision thinking, okay, I'm gonna lower taxes, which means I'll get less revenue to spend on other things. I'll have to choose what not to spend on later. Fuck no. If you lower the taxes, it just... lowers it. Gets rid of all the money in the treasury and it's like, 'Oh hey, you just bankrupted us. What to do what to do'. So now, since I don't want everybody to die when Albion is attacked, I've literally spent the last hour just working at jobs, trying to get money, and buying real estate so I can donate to the treasury out of my OWN personal money. Dammit.

It had a shit ton of potential, but it was way way underdeveloped. So, pretty much like every Fable game, in my opinion.

16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

That is ... disappointing to here. I rather liked the first one from what I remember, the second ... not so much. At least they are making an effort to keep changing things up, that's more than you can say for most companies.

17. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Oh, yeah. Compared to the second one, just in terms of fun, this one is vastly improved. It's just... It could have been so much better then what it is, sadly. It's like they had this great idea. The player runs a kingdom, but oh wait, it can't be too complicated, let's make it as absolutely simplistic and retarded as we can.

18. Krogan

High Score:
    Yes I totally agree with you
    Half of this shit just doesn't even make sense even if you try and put it into "simple" terms. Why does lowering the tax rate hoover out the treasury? You aren't giving fucking tax refunds, your just lowering the tax rate. Another one, you have to choose whether or not to keep your brothers limit on alcoholic drinks, ban alcohol outright or completely remove the drink limit entirely. I wasn't really paying much attention and I simply said remove the drink limit, it completely hoovered out every last damn dime in my treasury. How the hell does that make sense? Are you seriously sitting there telling me that I'm paying for the booze out of my own pocket or something?

Oh and helpful tip from me to all of you, the second you become King go to the Demon Door near Sunset House that wants to meet a King, 1 Million Gold completely and totally free with no strings attached, its a fucking lifesaver.

19. azrael

azrael Professor

Well, this sounds really disappointing. Couple of questions: is it fun before you become king, and how long does it take to get to that point?

20. Krogan

High Score:
    For me it was, it was extremely similar to previous Fable gameplay which I always enjoyed but with a fair amount of added bonuses. The spellcasting system is very similar to Fable 2 but there are two big changes one, you can only cast whichever spell you have the gauntlet equipped for at the time, this might sound irritating but its not actually that bad once you realize you can go to the Sanctuary even in mid combat which completely freezes everything and swap out all your weapons if its not working. The other big change to the system that I actually fucking loved is an ability you get once you put some points into the magic road which is called spellweaving, basically what that means is that you can use two spell gauntlets at the same time and combine the effects of the spell. This has been endless fucking amounts of fun for me, as per natural law I have of course found the most fun combinations to be with the Fireball spell. The best I've found so far are

1. Fire+Vortex: Exactly whats on the label, you can create and throw flaming hell tornadoes of doom, it is sickeningly entertaining.
    2. Fire+Shock: Electrified fireballs, fun for the whole family:awesome. This one is particularly fun because whoever it hits is paralyzed by the electricity so they just have to stand there and burn to death.
    3. Fire+Blades: Its the Blades spell exactly but only now all of the swords are on fire and explode when they impale a target. Yeah, its just fucking :awesome.

Another thing I have to say I liked are the weapons in the game, the Hero Weapons evolve constantly based on what you do and the way you act in the game. My Hero Rifle for example has evolved to match my love for using magic and Fireball in particular so it has an extremely arcane looking appearance with a sort of flame motif as well as a fire damage bonus.

Last if you play without stopping and do the sidequests and whatnot I'd say its about 5 maybe 6 hours of gameplay to get to the section where you get crowned?