1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fable 3

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sacrosanct, May 17, 2010.

1. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Lol, Shock+Ice Storm is fucking boss. Love that.

The mutating weapon shit is pretty hit or miss, though. I was getting a bad ass weapon at first. It was getting extremely long, and had taken a bone-like appearance from killing hollow men. But then, I kicked one chicken. And it told me my cruelty towards chicken gave my sword a copper sheen. Which I can't even see.

The one thing I didn't like about the mutating weapon thing was
    that it only changes five times, and that's when you upgrade your melee/ranged attack. I was under the impression that the weapons would gradually change throughout my entire playing time. Which, I mean, it's fine, but it's not exactly as advertised.

2. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

When its Peter Molyneux you can pretty much count on many of the features being exaggerated. This is the third game, no point being surprised by it. I really liked the first Fable, was ambivalent about the second, and will probably play the third after my sons are done with it. They wanted it more than I did. I'm just waiting for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Speaking of which, where's the thread for that so I can fanboy it up?

3. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Lightning+Swords is the fucking game breaker. It is unstoppable.

So how have people's weapons turned out? I'm fairly happy with my sword and pistol, The swords like a slightly jagged cutlass whilst the pistol's golden and ornate which is nice. Both my hammer and my rifle have turned into weird wooden skinny sticks which sucks though.

Its fairly annoying that most of the purchased weapons are inevitably stronger than your own weapons, amkes them feel slightly pointless.

Anyway, does anyone fancy teaming up to get the co-op achievements? My gamertag is eurodude for anyone who's interested.

---------- Post automerged 31-10-2010 at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was 30-10-2010 at 05:41 PM ----------

@Samuel Black: To be honest by that stage in the game I had so much fucking money from real estate I could have goneswimming in it, Scrooge McDuck style. Seriously, I could have gone swimming in it. I more than surpassed the amount you have to get to grab the key at the top of the sanctuary's treasury, so I just donated all of it to the treasury to regain access to the chest at the bottom of the money pit.

The fact that lowering the tax rate cleans out the treasury is completely idiotic though.

@Krogan
    That allowing people to buy booze costs you is also ridiculous. Increasing the sale of booze is increasing the sale of a highly taxable luxury item!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  4. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Has anyone done the duplication glitch on any of their legendary items/outfits? I'll trade a Desert Fury or Merchants Bodyguard for a Male Highlanders Outfit.

If anyone wants to tag along for extra guild while I redo the main story, you're more than welcome to. GT is RedAviary

5. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

How does I has group secks?

My most powerful hammer needs me to have sex with four people at the same time to get its last upgrade, but I don't know how to do that. You have to be holding someone's hand to sex them, and you can hold only one hand at a time. Has anyone else figured it out?

6. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Don't know about the group sex thing, but this game is way, way too easy. I loved the other Fable games, but this one just didn't offer any sort of challenge.

I was never knocked down, I rarely used potions, I was also swimming in gold by the second segment (taking away the entire moral dilemma point of that section) and the final boss was so easy I thought I still had to go through three more rounds to finish the fight before the cutscene started.

And I didn't plan this. All I did was work a job till I had about 15,000gp, then bought some shops. Did some side quests to waste time, bought more shops. Got to 8 million by second section.

That said, combat was so much fun, I found myself just pointlessly wandering into fights just for the hell of it. Shock+Blades and the Sandgoose rifle. Awesome.

Plot wise, I found myself getting quite into it. Problem was, there were a ton of cop-outs.
    Particularly Logan and the Crawler. Logan didn't even have a fight scene, something I'd been looking forward to for the whole game. And the Crawler was introduced once, in a fairly creepy scene, and worked effectively as a minor villain. But he didn't have the development (Spooky African shadow guy! Yeah!) or charisma to pull of a villain.
    There was nothing impressive about his ending. Jack of Blades had the climactic battle in the guild, where you had an epic battle and a tough choice. Lucien had the ridiculously cool Spire (Remember the whole bridge-canal? I sure do.)
    The Crawler had one sequence earlier and one battle where you didn't even get to really fight him. Total cop-out.

Fun, game, some interesting new ideas with enjoyable gameplay and a cool story, but let down by a retarded learning curve and some real disappointments.

Edit: About the sanctuary, do you think it worked as a menu system? I thought it was pretty cool, but the lack of menus of any kind was a little irritating at times.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  7. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

That doesn't help me.

Also, is there an easier way to flourish with firearms? I can only ever manage it by accident by pressing Y rapidly at point blank.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  8. The Berkeley Hunt

Flourish is as with swords - you hold attack, then release when the controller vibrates. Never used it though - Guns were more for long range and mopping up.

Unless your gun levels with flourishes. Which gun is it?

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Facemelter is one. I have another, but I don't remember it's name. Facemelter is the one I'm interested in leveling, though.

10. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

I haven't played this yet, so I can't comment on the level of difficulty, but I have trouble imagining a game easier than fable 1. I mean, I replayed it a few weeks ago, and I never once used a resurrection phial. By the time I started the darkwood quest, I already had a master sword and wellow's pickhammer, and was goddamned near unstoppable. By the end of the game I was so ridiculously overpowered that even without using physical shield, there was nothing that could kill me. Super fun, if extremely linear, but waaaaaaay to easy.

11. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I've killed so many sand furies that my Hero's Pistol now drips blood. Fucking awesome.

12. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

My sword had the same upgrade. If you chose to replace the Orphanage with a Whorehouse you should be able to have the 'Sex Invite' interaction on the RB button. Happy STD's.

Also, the Darkness scene was the shit; some of the quotes scream of an awesome villain that Fable 3 really could have had. The crawler part was just below Arkham Asylum's Scarecrow scene in terms of creepiness.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  13. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I did choose brothel (for this very reason; it was the only evil choice I have made), and I can sex invite; but it makes me take them by the hand anyway.

I bet Elise wonders how I got those 7 STDs that I didn't have when we got married, but I don't really care if the bitch knows I'm cheating on her. Somehow, our kid turned out to be black.

14. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

^ THIS. I just got the game, had a kid, went on my way adventuring... And when I came back, a little black kid runs up and gives me a gift. ._.

I was so confused.

15. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

@Loki: Friend requested you.

@DarthBill: As I didn't pick the whorehouse, any chance I could jump into your world to get the achievement?

16. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I don't have any X-Box live.

Also, what achievement?

17. The Berkeley Hunt

For group sexings. And its stories like black kids that make Fable a pretty awesome franchise. And for Veri, it is damn easy, but so much fun that its definitely worth it.

Unlike everybody else, I was good for my first run through. I'm saving the evil run for when I can cackle for a whole day.

18. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So is this review accurate?

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2010/10/29/why-fable-3-is-an-embarrassment-to-video-games/

19. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

In a sense, yes, in others, no. Combat for one, yes it's overly simplistic but it still is fairly fun. I didn't die a single time, although balverines still give me fits when I have like 8 of them swarm me.

I can't disagree with him over the second 'half' of the game, seeing as how that's my biggest complaint. But he is wrong about the 122 day thing. Yeah, after that day it throws you into the thick of the war, but there is (supposedly, haven't tested it) a way to go back in time some. Instead of going to the meeting place on that day, run out of the castle and towards the city. Some players are saying that the game gives you the option to go back to the previous checkpoint. Again, I haven't tried it, so it could be complete bullshit. And the marriage thing, I've never done. It's never appealed to me. But it seems like he spent a lot of time ranting about catching an STD, when, really, all it is is a number in a book. It doesn't do anything adverse to the game.

But yeah, he had a lot of reasonable complaints about the game that, while true, he makes a bigger deal then the really are. Fable 3 has a simplistic combat system, parts of it are shoddily made, and the side quests in this one are terrible, for the most part in my experience.

My advice? Rent it for a weekend. You can get everything done fairly quickly, which makes it hard to justify spending full price on it. Unless you're the type of player who goes through both genders with both moral alignments, there really isn't any replay value. It is a step up from Fable 2 in some ways, and a step down in others. Personally, I still feel Fable 1 was the best.

20. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Ain't no group sex achievement. Figured it out, though. It tells you to take their hand after doing the "sex invite," but you don't have to. They follow you.

Chesty sucks at chess.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010