1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Family Values by Ishtar - K

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by arkeus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. bmatsea

bmatsea Squib

This is one of the best crossovers i have read in a long time. The addams family characters are well writen and not to OOC. My hope is that Ishtar continues this in the vane that she has started with. I give this a 5/5.

2. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Quit bitchin' about the marriage contract already...it is one in 'name' only. It isn't binding, if the kids decide it isn't. There aren't any 'soul bonds', magic core implosions, weenie falling off if not consumated, etc. It was a rather crafty means to preserve something of Harry's and get it out Bumble's control...fin.

Wednesday and Pugsley being 'magical'...why the hell not? Translate the general 'weirdness' of that family into HP terms and you end up with at least Squibs...on clothing choices alone!

And if you read Ishtar's notes, you will see that she is not sticking entirely to the show (or the movies) but also including the printed materials of Charles Addams...so expect a little deviation.

Overall, this is looking to be one heck of crossover and I for one hope she'll get it wrapped up according to plan...

3. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I avoided this until today, because I'm fairly *meh* about the Addams Family -- the show and movies have always been a little too campy for my taste, and I wasn't sure it could be pulled off.

I've got to say that I was most pleasantly surprised, this is a great start and has the potential to be a pretty nice story.

(And it doesn't hurt that in my head, Wednesday is the Christina Ricci version... *RAWR* err, nevermind)

4. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Hellooooo Wednesday!

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Okay.

Christina Ricci = hotness

Wednesday Adams = current cuteness, eventual hotness.

Christina Ricci as Wednesday Adams = too young for hotness (in the movies)

6. Nukular Winter

Hey, you picture her your way:

[​IMG]

And I'll picture her mine:

[​IMG]

Win-win, apparently (although I think my way is better :))

7. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

New chapter was kinda stupid and a bit OOC. After Remus spies on Harry and the others... they decide to give him free reign of their house? Wow. Seems like a bullshit way for Remus to get his "cub".

8. bmatsea

bmatsea Squib

i was thinking that this more of a "foul ball" in dumbbles plans. but can you see the letter about this

Mr. dumbledoor.

We want to thank you for sending us Mr. Lupin, the time we spent together in conversation in the rec room was quite enlightening. The children were able to learn a great many things from him as well, and were quite sad when Mr. Lupin had to depart. We all found him to be quite enjoyable at our last dinner together.
    once again thank you

9. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Yeah and Dumbledore will go postal

Anyways, I think this is a well written story. It doesnt skip around a lot and its slowly introducing the British wizarding world back into Harry's life as opposed to having Hagrid pick him up and all that. I dont see the arranged marriage to be the "cliche" one, but it could change. If it does, I hope its not so much that I cant read it anymore. I would hate it if that happens.
    5/5

10. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Well, considering that this *is* the Adams Family, giving the strange werewolf who just tried to kidnap your adopted child free run of your house with only the flimsiest pretext of blackmail is not only in character, but entirely logical.

11. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

In a 'give him enough rope and see if he hangs himself' sort of way...

12. Nukular Winter

I read pretty quickly (so I may have missed it), but I don't think I saw anything about giving Lupin free and unsupervised access to the children, and they took his wand. (Not to mention the threat of turning Remus over to the authorities with the promise of prison rape :eek: if he steps out of line is slightly more than "flimsy blackmail" material)

I agree that it would make sense in the context of the original series, but in this story I have to assume that somebody is planning to keep an eye on the wolf.

13. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, yeah, they might even keep him. A werewolf would be a nice addition to the household, especially during full moon. The howling certainly will keep strangers at bay.

14. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

And he'll be GREAT for games of fetch...

"And this is Ramius, the family doggie."

"Thats a englishman..."

"Only 28 nights a month."

15. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Good stuff. I feel like they made the Addams family a little to normal somewhat. What happened to being fixated by death? What of THEIR reactions to "wholesomeness"? They react VERY adversely to it like a plague, and while funny and capturing the SPIRIT of it, Ishtar is normalizing the family too much emotionally speaking.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't think the mix would work if Adamses were left totally IC. Hell, that death fascination/reverse-all-norms shit barely holds water in the cartoon, not to mention how ridiculous it was in the movies.

17. pure-lilly

pure-lilly Muggle

I really do enjoy this story a lot. about the emotional thing I think that ya it is a little down played. there was an episode when wednesday (or was it Pugsly) was running Morticia stoped her and was like "What did I tell you about running in the house" and then she handed her a pair of scissors and let her run away again and I didnt really get that feel strongly in the story but, I still think the author did a really good job on melding the two stories together. So, I give it a 5/5 until the author changes how they are and where the story is going...

18. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

This is Ishtar's big turning point. She always seems to fuck up her alternate Universe Harry's (which are her best stories) once he gets to Hogwarts (where they suck like some of her other stories.) I haven't read her whole body of work, but I'm basing this on this chapter, and the other one with Ghost!Pettigrew.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong. This story is odd, but good.

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is also turning point because NANOWRIMO ends in few days. Last year, after the race ended, her update schedule for Fidelius went to hell, ending up with hiatus the story is on today.

20. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Ahhh. I was wondering what happened.