1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Family Values by Ishtar - K

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by arkeus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Tenebrae

Tenebrae Second Year

The new chapter is up, in which we see that Snape still doesn't like Harry, despite him being in Slytherin.

Kinda refreshing, really, as most Slytherin!Harry stories I've read have the two getting along just fine.

2. Afiz

Afiz First Year

Read this. Pretty amazed that I had never come across anything like it before. For that alone it gets a 5/5.

3. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Good introduction, The tarot card beginning was interesting. This seems to be quite good. Dumbledore is definitely outmatched by the Addams. I have high hopes for this.

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Harry the Victim of Boil attacks! Oh no! :Barf:

This story took a MAJOR turn for the worse in this chapter.

And I thought Sanpe was prudent? After his conversation with the Sorting Hat, why is he still fucking with Harry, when he knows what he could potentially be and is capable of? Still good, but...

4.3/5

5. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

uh? Since when is snape cautious or prudent? Oo

Yeah, this chapter is ambiguous, but you have to give some weakness to harry, though this looks a bit too much like what jack did in hero's path with the twin's "pranks"...

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Since he had to juggle spying on the two most powerful wizards in Britain and arguably the world.

That's right, he was able to do that FOR YEARS, by shooting off his mouth, and doing the first that came to his head, without considering the consequences.

7. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Well, that's what he does in canon. He did ask for harry to be expelled a few times, did try to kill Sirius black after hearing he was innocent, and so on... it's just that AD isn't the most suspicious of people, or maybe it's because he gives chances. Remember that crouch Jr too fooled AD.

As for fooling Voldemort, who is to say he ever did?

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, Snape never spied for years. He just run off to Dumbles with a sob story about selling out the prophecy to Voldemort (max 1,5 years before the end of the war) and then got acquited by selling out other death eaters (and sucking up to Dumbledore). At this point of the story, his 'spying experience' is probably even lesser then Pettigrew's.

9. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Don't forget that in the last two books of canon, what spying has Snape really done?

He gives in rather easily to the Unbreakable Vow...which effectively makes him a 'turned' spy, if was actually spying before that.

Don't forget his little 'psycho' episode in the hospital wing at the end of PoA...

SuperSpy!Snape is a fanon myth...at best canon!Snape dribbles a little info to both sides and plays a really good game of covering his ass, at worst his head is so far up Voldemort's ass, Snakelips has to open his mouth for Snape to see...

10. razz

razz Seventh Year

Eh ... I really haven't been too impressed by the later chapters much. I hope it doesn't go down like 'Luna's Hubby' with puppydog!Harry and allpowerful!Wednesday. The 'Seer' deal is already in action.

I'm rather disappointed with the way Harry's been written now, too. I don't think he's nearly as strange as he should be, growing up an Addams. At the moment he's just a smart canon Harry with a strong affection for snakes.

11. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Exactly. I thought it started going downhill as soon as Remus become UNCA MOONY!!!!!! She always ends up introducing too many cliches and crappy aspects of canon, even after a great start.

12. pure-lilly

pure-lilly Muggle

well with the latest chapter i was kind of disappointed in the fact that wednesday had to go and tell hermione about how harry has a destiny to fulfill and how they might need her help in the future but only if she comes to them in friendship of her own free will so some stuff like that.

i agree with razz on the level of weirdness harry should have with growing up with the Addams'. wednesday has her doll beheading and pugsly has a strong resistance to being electrocuted as well as a fondness for things that can go boom.

the whole they stole my werewolf thing well... i dont like how remus agreed to the strange situation of teaching the children so quickly when he freaked out about the pictures that were sent to dumbledore. he didnt really know the Addams' anyways so why agree so fast? plus the pictures weren't really that bad anyways to me it sounded like they were at a tourist attraction having harmless fun.

13. Pug

Pug First Year DLP Supporter

Hail,
    Harry Potter is living with the Addams family in America away from Dumbles influence; at first I was not enthusiastic by the whole idea of the Addams HP crossover but after reading this fic I must say that this is a perfect example of judging a book by its cover. I have been reading this fic since the fourth or fifth chapter was posted and I must say in the immortal words of Ron “bloody brilliant”. This fic so far has been fantastically written and I personally love it.
    I loved the scene with the eggs at breakfast Harry gets to be a boy for once and experience a real childhood for once learning strong family values. He goes into Hogwarts with his eyes wide open aware of the magical world.
    It has the Manipulative Dumbledore who doesn’t seem to believe in free will except his will; he really needs to be put in his place. Seeing Dumbledore being beaten at his games by the Addams family was definitely fun, and now we are in his own back yard I wonder what will happen next. Malfoy it appears will never learn, well revenge will be sweet and he will learn not to mess with the Addams.
    His Harry is one that is definitely refreshing. Kudos to you Ishtar

14. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

A nice light read, good twist on "someone else raising harry",
    One of these days I want to do a Batman raises Harry.

For a change of fan fiction and a good read, check out Chris Dee's "Cattails".

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Harry raised by Hulk Hogan. For the win.

16. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Oh God. Going into the Chamber, Harry turns to Ron and says (in his best Hulk voice): "Are you ready, BROTHER?"

Then tears his shirt off, taps in, and kicks some basilisk butt...

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I think I want to write that!! It would be awesome! Seriously, was that a challenge (or can be interpreted as one) LT?

I wouldn't mind doing it like Syaoran's story (Pyromaniac! Harry...Forget name now.)

That seems so cool

I'm posting one now in Work by Author

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  18. Tenebrae

Tenebrae Second Year

Well, we have another update, in which the first Flying lesson goes almost exactly according to canon, the aftermath is almost identical, with the exception of a small addition from CoS and another Addams comes to stay at Hogwarts.

19. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Yeah, this went in the same direction as her other fic that started off well. Boring fluff, crappy pranks, dry cheesy dialogue, and a bunch of other crap. It was good while it lasted.

20. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I think in many respects Ishtar is a great writer. With things like plot, characterization, description, and diction. However, she has one flaw. Everything must go right for Harry in the end if not right off the bat. When that flaw is present, everything else goes to hell.

It's like she is meticulously building a house with all the right tools and she follows the building code to the letter until its time to finish the roof. At which point she discards all of the tools and regulations and tries to bash the shingles into place with her fist.

Its very bewildering.