1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Vernon Dursley tortures Harry for no reason.

2. Western_Frontier

Western_Frontier Second Year

I like non of the above... I only like it when Harry is the slut...

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And hes been raping Harry and doing it the entire time

4. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Do you know Barbs Serpent triologie there was even a prophecy about Ginny's virginity and the story was full of evil clichès.

5. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Hedwig becoming a phoenix

Almost all fics use the same examples of explaining that there 'is no white or black magic only magic in shades of grey'

Grey Magic :p

Dark evil Dumbledore (I like these sometimes)

Manipulative Dumbledore (some of my favourites)

Nice snape (urg)

Getting a snake familiar to teach parseltongue/used in parseltongue spells+rituals/ teaching parseltongue spells+rituals.

Large Library Inheritances

Large Inheritances to buy large libraries :?

DESCENDANT <--- <--- of any major familial line (ie founder/merlin)
    /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
    : : : : :

Randomly the 'Slytherin side' of Harry is exposed (not a bad thing but it just happens so suddenly.)

SLASH (shudders and runs)

Super magical artefact hidden deep in familial vaults that no other potter has found in XXXX years suddenly used to give Harry perfect 'moody' vision faster learning/book absorption (sp)

Lily descendant of fay/pureblood/darklord/elf/darkelf/demon/angel/dragon(I've seen this it was actually pretty good)/descendant of founders/sometimes all at once :shock:

Harry having large family pureblood status rivalling Malfoys blacks etc. (NEVER ONCE HEARING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I find it hard to believe that after 5 years he hasn't heard something like that in at least passing.)

-Suddenly finding that it is a trust fund and has family vaults
    -Goblins bowing and worshiping Dumbledore (ie fics where Goblins hide information because dumbledore said so

Griphook going - OMG! Harry knows my name he must be the uber nice wizard

Dumbledore gaining control of Harry’s vault because of guardianship /regentship of potter pureblood family assets :x (no puking emoticon?)

Dumbledore stealing money from Harry’s vaults (I generally like this but every single manipulative!dumbledore has it, if you do this at least do it

6. RagefulLlama

Oh yeah :idea:

Harry suddenly having the ability to look back at his accidental magic and learn to apparate (the only one that I saw that did this good is HP and the harem of honeys I believe and that is only because he looked back right away not 6ish years later remembering everything.)

His neighbour Mark Evans being some distant relative or a not so distant relative or him just being a wizard.

Uber custom made wands. I mean if you could custom make a wand, would social elitists like the Malfoys go to Olivanders of all places to get average generic wands.

Olivanders being the only wand maker

Harry obtaining Grindelwalds/Slitherins/ other famous Darklords wand for his second wand.

Harry suddenly needing a staff to use magic to strong to use a wand.

Elemental!Harry

Multianimagus!Harry

Oversummer learning of occlumency/legilmency/ubercharms/uberDADA/ubertransfiguration etc. When people like Hermione have like no skill growth (I dislike her but if this was possible to go just finished owls to far past NEWTS in two months I think someone like her would probably be able to do the same thing even if you make it so that she doesn;t have the magical energy to cast a large portion of the spells.)

I think that an O in potions or suddenly oversummer potion mastery is also pretty cliche

parseltongue suddenly extending to dragons/dementors etc (I wouldn't mind seeing some more of these.)

well that is all that comes to mind gotta go to bed for an eye appointment tommorow :-(

7. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Harry leaves Privet Drive and Petunia tells him how much she loves him.

8. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Everyone becomes an Animagus in a few hours/days/weeks/months, for a rare ability it seems rather common.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I don't mind most cliches as long as they are well done.

Though I hate it when they make him a random founders heir but don't really do anything to make it believeable, then give him god-like powers overnight using the "oh he is a magical heir" bit to explain it.

I hate most Harry/Ginny though there are exceptions to that rule. A well written Ginny actually matchesup quite nicely with a well written Harry. Problem is, almost no one writes a good Ginny... Including JKR. So I have come to hate the ship.

10. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

you all forgot the biggest one.....harry is everyone magicaly famous's heir
    ( founder, merlin, la fay,and so on)
    harry with power and all he can think of is pranks
    harry/ginny
    harry forgiveing everyone
    harry uses "gray" magic but still being ordered around by everyone
    Ms. wesley's mothering

thats all i got

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I don't mind a Grey!Independant!Harry... I DO mind a Grey!Everyone's Little Bitch!Dumbledore's Slave!Forgiving!Harry though.

12. RagefulLlama

Acutally Indo If you look at my first post I have harry is a descendant of famous lines like that printed in caps with many arrows pointing to it :p .

13. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

............we know this not to be true because during 4th year at the wand weightings Olivanders comments on another wand makers work being not to his liking.

14. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

.....opps :oops:

15. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

'I am your father'!Voldemort (loving Voldemort)
    Or some strange exchange student, who is the key in defeating Voldemort.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Harry having a family vault and trust fund is perfectly understandable. It may be a cliche, but its one thats acceptable to me.

17. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

harry's parents still alive or comeing back to life or as ghosts

18. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

But inheriting a high security safe house that protects him against anything is not understable.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Aside from Grimmauld Place, no.

20. RagefulLlama

Incase I was misunderstood most of the cliches I listed I actually like reading in fics. It is just that they are so common that I would list them as cliches :lol: . Also Lord Ravenclaw I know that some of these are understandable but this is just a list of plot points that are common enough for me to think that they can be considered cliche. I personally like reading about trustfunds and family vaults being hidden and what I don't like is that they are hidden SO well. I think that he would of atleast heard rumours of another vault especially hanging around purebloods like ron* who puts so much priority on money hasn't slipped just once that there may be more to Harry's money then a trust vault. Or this could just be another of JKR's screwups thinking that everyone would infer that it's just a trust vault that there must be more. . . maybe i'm just bitter :?

*oh yes, another cliche jealous!ron (I like these alot especially the bashing :p)

Not open for further replies.